1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a long-term project I’ve been working on that is getting close to completion. It will be the second gun I’ve built for the owner and, as with the first pistol, this gun has an overall theme and style to be incorporated into the build.

One of the modifications that plays into the styling of this gun is a squared and checkered trigger guard. Although quite popular on custom 1911s of the ‘70s and ‘80s it’s not something that is seen as much on the custom builds being done today. Never the less, the squared and checkered trigger guard goes perfectly with the theme of this gun and the photos below show the basics of how I progressed through the modification.

Stay tuned for a pictorial once the entire pistol is completed.

Here you can see the pistol before the trigger guard modification. The “L” shaped piece in the photo is the trigger guard insert that I made.

Machining the stock Colt trigger guard.

Here the trigger guard insert has been shaped and sized and is ready to weld.

Trigger guard insert welded to frame and ready for initial shaping.

The initial blending and shaping of the trigger guard.

After and bit more weld and some more shaping the trigger guard is ready to be checkered.

The newly squared trigger guard hand-checkered at 40lpi.

·
Registered
125 Posts
These "in progress" threads are like watching Leonardo da Vinci lay down the base coat of paint as he is painting the Mona Lisa....Fabulous to see the steps needed to shape the project.

DOC

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Agreed. I like all the threads the Pros start showing their completed work, but these "in progress" threads give us some idea of all the work that goes into the finished product. It isn't just "swapping parts" as was alleged in a now closed thread in the LB forum. I don't think that we users of these pistols realize just how much work goes into creating the finished piece. Hope more of the Pros will do these without sharing all their "secrets".

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
That is amazing how you do that.

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
I love seeing what a capable gunsmith can do. Love it. I wish I was that competent. Thanks for posting, keep us informed!

·
Premium Member
6,847 Posts
I don't think that we users of these pistols realize just how much work goes into creating the finished piece.
And why the decent 'smiths aren't driving Porsches as a result of all that work - they sure would deserve it :)

·
Registered
533 Posts
What a pleasure to have such a tutorial. Beutifull work ,and thank you Jason so much for taking the time to photograph and post.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Most excellent workmanship. Is that a 90s enhanced slide? I don’t remember that roll mark. I remember when you first started posting stuff on the internet years and years ago. Your stuff is awesome. Cool project and excellent execution. Keep us updated with pics.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks so much guys... I'm having allot of fun with this gun and I can hardly wait to see the completed pistol my self.

Most excellent workmanship. Is that a 90s enhanced slide? I don’t remember that roll mark. I remember when you first started posting stuff on the internet years and years ago. Your stuff is awesome. Cool project and excellent execution. Keep us updated with pics.
Thanks man :) ... the slide is original to the frame and is a very rare variation of a '60's Colt Commercial Government Model.

·
Premium Member
8,754 Posts
Love the metal work! The 40 lpi on the front of the trigger guard, is that customer spec'd or a checkering you prefer at that location on the pistol. I just like being educated on these matters.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Amazing weld job Jason I have to admit I'm a little jealous. Can't wait to see more

·
Registered
96 Posts
Wow. Very, very cool and excellent workmanship. I was a little dubious looking at the first couple of pictures till I saw the watermark. Then I saw the completed picture. Great job

·
Premium Member
9,656 Posts
Very cool Jason. While not a fan of squared trigger-guards, I do appreciate the skill required to accomplish one as nice as this.

:rock:

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the pics.

Robert

1 - 20 of 38 Posts