1911Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Members will often ask, who does checkering, who does serrations. Can you recommend a gunsmith to square a trigger guard. Well here's the answer. Jason Burton and the boys at Heirloom Precision.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
What's the finish on frame? Or is it stainless?

Bob

·
Super Moderator
13,635 Posts
What's the finish on frame? Or is it stainless?

Bob
On a vintage Colt like that, I bet it's hard chrome. Fitting for a 1911 that is a tribute to the early masters of pistolsmithing, like Hoag/Swenson/Pachmayr, etc.

The work is stunning and the gun is a beauty. I am sure the owner is very pleased.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
A lot of people knock the square trigger guard on a 1911, but personally, I think it's a sign of a true professional when executed correctly and it looks awesome!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Very nice metal craft work there. Love the HQ pix.

What is the purpose of this trigger guard mod? Just different to be different? Or does it somehow improve some form of functionality?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Sounds like a lot of folks are over-lubing their pistols. I use a single drop of FL on each frame rail, a drop on the top and bottom of the trigger shoe, a drop on any parts that pivot, etc. My pistol sits for months at a time, and I have never found any build-up of residue.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have to imagine that some of the smiths in this country would be loath to post details about how they do what they do, for fear that they render themselves obsolete.

That doesn't seem to be the case with the generosity of insight provided by some of our resident smiths here. I, for one, find it enlightening. I feel that it makes me more confident in handling and using my sidearms. It is giving me the confidence and desire to undertake gradually increasing tasks, and inspires me to take one of the "RYO" type courses.

But the most important (and germane) point to my verbose babble is that teaches me my limitations and makes me more likely to seek out the services of a professional.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is a long-term project I’ve been working on that is getting close to completion. It will be the second gun I’ve built for the owner and, as with the first pistol, this gun has an overall theme and style to be incorporated into the build.

One of the modifications that plays into the styling of this gun is a squared and checkered trigger guard. Although quite popular on custom 1911s of the ‘70s and ‘80s it’s not something that is seen as much on the custom builds being done today. Never the less, the squared and checkered trigger guard goes perfectly with the theme of this gun and the photos below show the basics of how I progressed through the modification.

Stay tuned for a pictorial once the entire pistol is completed.

Here you can see the pistol before the trigger guard modification. The “L” shaped piece in the photo is the trigger guard insert that I made.

Machining the stock Colt trigger guard.

Here the trigger guard insert has been shaped and sized and is ready to weld.

Trigger guard insert welded to frame and ready for initial shaping.

The initial blending and shaping of the trigger guard.

After and bit more weld and some more shaping the trigger guard is ready to be checkered.

The newly squared trigger guard hand-checkered at 40lpi.

This is too freakin cool thanks mate!

21 - 38 of 38 Posts