1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my gun has been doing this and it is boggling my mind. If I insert a mag (Wilson) of any type of hollow point into my Kimber ultra and hit the slide release, the bullet goes straight ahead and gets jammed on the feed ramp. I have to re-rack the slide and try again, and slingshot it into the chamber to get it in.

Hornady Critical duty, remington golden saber, speer gold dot short barrel.. All the same result. JAM right on the feed ramp upon slide release, requiring sling shot.

It does not do this with FMJ.

Mags: Wilson

Recoil spring: Kimber 18 lb replaced 200 rounds ago.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have a similar problem on a Pro size gun. Slingshotting on the top round works fine. The next round fed by the magazine nose dives into the ramp. I believe I've tracked it down to the bullet making contact with the lug on the slide stop. After shooting, there is a bit of copper on the most protuberant ridge of the slide stop lug. It's more prevalent with my Wilson mags (47D and ETMs) than with Kim Pro Tac mags. Load up a full Wilson mag and push down on the nose of the top round. You should be able to push the round down with little effort.

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
I have a similar problem on a Pro size gun. Slingshotting on the top round works fine. The next round fed by the magazine nose dives into the ramp. I believe I've tracked it down to the bullet making contact with the lug on the slide stop. After shooting, there is a bit of copper on the most protuberant ridge of the slide stop lug. It's more prevalent with my Wilson mags (47D and ETMs) than with Kim Pro Tac mags. Load up a full Wilson mag and push down on the nose of the top round. You should be able to push the round down with little effort.
Did you just say protuberant? :biglaugh:;)

·
Registered
334 Posts
As you work down the magazine (appx. round 5 or 6) the nose dipping becomes less. Seems the answer is a good spec slide stop that doesn't make contact with any of the rounds, yet still protrudes enough to catch the follower in the magazine on empty.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Tell us about...

Tell us about the Magazines; age, last time you replaced the Magazine springs, any odd/non OEM followers? Have you tried other magazines? If it exists with other mags, I might suspect Extractor.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would also check extractor tension. Usually it will show up with fmj or hp but maybe not in this case. It also may help if you posted pics of the feedramp and barrel throating. Good luck, I know how frustrating it can be to troubleshoot.

·
Banned
5,052 Posts
You're experiencing classic nosedive. This is NORMAL for single column magazines. Note that as you put more rounds in the magazine a gap will appear between the top round and the one under it. As more rounds are added, the gap gets larger. The larger the gap, the greater the nosedive. This is normal. Follower design has a small impact on this, until you approach 7 to 8 rounds, then the follower design doesn't matter and cartridge feed angle (and gap) becomes the same.

The fact that nosedive jams occur with hollow point (or any flat point) bullets and not RN bullets is also classic. The edge of the flat point bullet hits lower on the feed ramp than where a round nose bullet will. The lower the round hits (the lower the feed angle), the greater the likelihood of a jam.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tell us about the Magazines; age, last time you replaced the Magazine springs, any odd/non OEM followers? Have you tried other magazines? If it exists with other mags, I might suspect Extractor.
Wilson Combat, new.

Happens with stock Kimber mag as well.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You're experiencing classic nosedive. This is NORMAL for single column magazines. Note that as you put more rounds in the magazine a gap will appear between the top round and the one under it. As more rounds are added, the gap gets larger. The larger the gap, the greater the nosedive. This is normal. Follower design has a small impact on this, until you approach 7 to 8 rounds, then the follower design doesn't matter and cartridge feed angle (and gap) becomes the same.

The fact that nosedive jams occur with hollow point (or any flat point) bullets and not RN bullets is also classic. The edge of the flat point bullet hits lower on the feed ramp than where a round nose bullet will. The lower the round hits (the lower the feed angle), the greater the likelihood of a jam.
I understand what is happening, I am looking for a way to fix it. Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,610 Posts
Is this a brand new Ultra? If so, approx. how many FMJ break in rounds?
Feed ramp might just need additional polishing work.
I suggest using Kimpro mag or stock kimber mag, do not use wilson.
I had an Ultra a while back, it preferred stock mag.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts