1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's not everyday that you're fortunate enough to get the call to customize a big letter Series '70 as an instant heirloom wedding present from a Father to his Son. I was truly delighted to get the opportunity to build this one. It started life as my Peerless Package and was then modified from there. The start of it all was a weld up and recut job on the frame rails to allow a tight, yet free-running fit. The it was followed by fitting up a Kart barrel with an H-D logo bushing & plug set.
The rest of the list ran like this:
Novak Lo-Mount sights with 14k gold bead in the front sight
Top strap flattened, serrated 40 lpi and bordered with radiused cuts
Ejection port lowered and fluted
Ball Cuts and French borders over a light 45 degree lower border
EGW FP stop, HD extractor & slide stop
Yo-Bo ignition set with Heinie LW long solid trigger
CMC beavertail mated to a Ed Brown wide extended safety, recut to medium contour
Legacy Custom MSH checkered 25 lpi and mated to a Briley mag well
Front strap high cut and checkered 25 lpi
Elephant ivory grips -w- Colt medallions
Finished in IonBond DLC with flats polished to 1200 grit & rounds blasted with aluminum oxide for maximum contrast
Here are a few pictures.

·
Premium Member
20,402 Posts
And my Dad gave me a toaster...
Great job, what a legacy!

·
Registered
633 Posts
:bawling: It hurts me so deeply that I now have seen a picture of one of the most beautiful Colts I've ever laid my eyes on, and it isn't going to come home with me! lol

Thats absolutely incredible work. Wish my dad thought that way! When I got married, my only present was a lecture on why I shouldn't reproduce lol.
I'm absolutely in love with that barrel bushing/guide rod.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I would be willing to get re-married for a gun like that, but I would have to figure out what to do with my wife first. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
963 Posts
WOW!! You continue to impress with these examples of your work. That is one BEAUTIFUL pistol. It would be pretty darn tough to outdo that one. In my mind it is pretty darn close to being the PERFECT 1911.
I really like that mag well and how it is blended to the pistol. It looks like it is SUPPOSED to be there and not gaudy or cumbersome looking. Those grips just add icing to the cake....

I always make sure and check out posts by you and Rodgers & Rogers. I know I am always going to see something great.

Nala

·
Banned
1,347 Posts
John,
I do believe that is your best work yet.

Happy Holidays,

Anthony L.

What is your take on IonBond so far?

·
Registered
271 Posts
acoilfld said:
I would be willing to get re-married for a gun like that, but I would have to figure out what to do with my wife first. :rolleyes:
You can have the best of both. Renew your wedding vows and get a wedding present.:D

·
Registered
534 Posts
I'm jealous. that is one fine firearm.
I'd have to get a LOT of overtime to afford building a piece like that.

·
Super Moderator
13,557 Posts
This is a beautiful pistol, what a lucky groom. :)

I saw this pistol in person and first thought the finish was blued until John told me it was ion bond. I'm starting to really like this process.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts