1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone used AA#5 for loading hollow points? I plan on loading some 185 JHPs and it seems to give the best velocities.
If you've used it, how is the muzzle flash.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
has anyone used AA#5 for loading hollow points? I plan on loading some 185 JHPs and it seems to give the best velocities.
If you've used it, how is the muzzle flash.
If you are looking at AA data you can see No.5 is capable of delivering well over 1100 fps velocities.

As far as flash goes?
In a 5” gun you stuff over 10grs. of just about any powder into the 45ACP case and your gonna have some “considerable” flash, even worse as the barrel lengths get shorter.

You’ll just have to try it and see if you can live with the amount of flash it develops

No.7 would be worse, maybe look at No.2 in the Accurate line as it tends to be less flashy than its slower brothers

Other options might be N320, N340 or WSF

Good Luck :)

·
Registered
883 Posts
For many years, I've used AA5 regularly with 185JHP's in the .45ACP. That is the only bullet that I load in that caliber.

For lighter loads, I stick with Bullseye and 231, but #5 is excellent for higher velocity loads. I have not noticed any problems with excessive muzzle flash, but I don't shoot at night.

·
Registered
14,940 Posts
I use AA#5, exclusively,for my .45acp and 9mm reloading...love the stuff. I haven't noticed muzzle flash, but I don't shoot at night, either.

·
Registered
206 Posts
AA#5 develops more flash than #2 but if you want a flashy load try Power Pistol:eek: It is almost a Hollywood blaze at dusk :rofl:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts