1911Forum banner

61 - 80 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
AR - assault rifle! ..........I cannot believe my eyes, AR does not stand for assault rifle! It stands for Armalite Rifle.

No wonder our libtard friends use this, we do on a gun forum. :barf:

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
It's been mentioned a couple of times, but I wish there were two different acronyms for "Failure to Fire" and "Failure to Feed." When I see someone write that they had a FTF, it always makes me wonder which one they meant...unless they have some accompanying information, like "I had several FTFs, but I ran the ammo back through and they all ignited the second time." By that, I assume the poster meant "Failure to Fire."

Maybe FTF = Failure to Fire, while a failure to have the round enter the chamber would be either FTC (failure to chamber) or FTL (failure to load.)

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Gotta add:

IANAL = I am not a lawyer

Oh, and for my Vietnam brethren, we always mentioned:

BOHICA = Bend over, here it comes again.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Has anyone created the Excel (table) form of all these Abbrev's and definitions?

If not, I'll volunteer.

·
Registered
65 Posts
This is way too much to remember, lol. I'd suggest the lists be complied to eliminate duplications, then dissected to each section of the forum that it applies to. Then it needs to be a sticky.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Orm & nrm

I've seen the above on the Colt part of the forum, and cannot figure what they stand for. Any help please.

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
I've seen the above on the Colt part of the forum, and cannot figure what they stand for. Any help please.
ORM.....Original Roll Mark (or OLD roll mark)

NRM.....New Roll Mark

The Colt model written on the side of the slide

·
Registered
349 Posts
ORM.....Original Roll Mark (or OLD roll mark)

NRM.....New Roll Mark

The Colt model written on the side of the slide
Thanks for the help, tsp.

WW

·
Registered
347 Posts
What's ILS -- as in "Then on down the road ditch the ILS MSH."

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great thread thanks for the info.
What about the different manufacturers acronyms, for example Springfield Armory's;
XD
XDM
XDS
The "M" factor
etc....
Thanks

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
OEM - Original Equipment Manufacturer

·
Registered
128 Posts
ND - Negligent Discharge. Didn't see it listed but I've seen it used a lot and it took me a while to get that one.

·
Premium Member
3,874 Posts
Perhaps dialect ...

... plus lots of overlap in meaning since one is a sub-set of the other:

FTE: failure to eject
example: a stovepipe gets extracted but doesn't eject

FTX: " " extract
example: extractor slips of due to loss of tension or due to chamber too small for a cartridge

61 - 80 of 88 Posts