1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone brought up a question that I'm not sure has been answered, so this is for Keith, or maybe even Dave Severns if he knows. With the changes coming to the 2010's (i.e. forged vs. cast) will the CA only PM7s and Cbobs be enjoying the new forged frames or would this change mean they would have to be retested and recertified? They are still stainless steel, which is what the roster says.
Any input would help. I'm helping preach the gospel of the COTEP on the CalGuns forum, and am trying to bring others to our flock.
Thanks again guys.
Ryan

·
Premium Member
7,725 Posts
Alright Ryan, two week time out and go stand in the corner, for mentioning the C___P word in your post. :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:
Now back to the subject of your POST Bring them over we need the backing here.

Clyde

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
i dont think the cali guns get the new frames they remain unchanged.to avoid any issues.
it least that is what i took it as
pete

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Clyde, P155 off!:biglaugh: I'll say COTEP any time I want. (as long as no one is watching:hrm:):biglaugh: (just joshing you buddy)

Icecold - You're probably right, but I still wanna hear the definitive answer.
To me, it doesn't make a difference. To some, it does. If I'm to spread the word, I should at least be accurate.

Thanks you two.
Ryan

PS- Clyde, which corner?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Keith had posted before about if some fo the changes would make it to the cali only guns in the 2010 lineup thread. I was trying to find it to see the exact quote, but I need to head out so maybe someone else can do it for me.

He had said something to the affect that even changing the color of a gun would limit it from shipping to Cali. I think he also said that they would remain unchanged.

Sound familiar anyone? If not go hunt down the post in the 2010 lineup

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
Keith DW: 2010 Lineup,Thread # 75 Cali. is very stick about us changing things even color is an issue.

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jimi and ktfish,
I hear you both, and know what you're saying. I don't know why changing would make a difference, it still is stainless steel, but then again, I'm not employed by the state so how would I know what the difference is. :biglaugh:
I'm just the guying buying guns.
Ryan

·
Registered
627 Posts
Thanks KT that's what I was looking for. I would think if changing the color on a gun would stop it then changing an actual part on it would be a no-no also. But you are right its just conjecture and reading between the lines until you get an answer from DW

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
I'm not sure what the California process actually is, but it boils down to money. The manufacturer pays for the privilege of having a gun on the list, I think 3 samples of the exact gun are given to the state for testing. The testing is basically a test to destruction. So for every model someone wants to sell, they pay a fee and give up 3 samples that they could sell elsewhere. Every model.
Of course the state would need to recertify if you change anything, all boils down to $$$$. Given the state's issue with it budget, I'd guess that the fee went up significantly.

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got an answer from Keith via PM last night.
Thanks for your input guys.
Ryan

·
Premium Member
3,283 Posts
Help nail it all down.

Frames will be forged

slides barstock?

all parts made in house?

Forgings from US source, or forged in house?

I'm one of a growing number of amateur but enthusiastic DW salesmen, I want to make sure I don't misrepresent my favorite 1911 manufacturer. Many buyers are concerned about the number of MIM parts, (zero, haha!) and where the forgings come from. (Brazil? please tell me they don't come from another country!)

We have been told (by implication) that Americans can't make a true high quality 1911 anymore unless it costs $2500 or more.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts