1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
about how long does a 1lb or 4lb tub of powder last for loading 45acp? .223? im just curious about how much i should order to reload my cases and some for my friends

·
Registered
4 Posts
just do the math :)

there are just shy of 7,000 grains in 1 lb. divide that by the load you intend for your 45 acp, there are charts that help depending on weight of bullet and other factors to determine correct charge, then you will know aprox how many you can do. :)

·
Banned
12,388 Posts
how long does a 1lb or 4lb tub of powder last

No matter how much you shoot, 8 pounds lasts eight times longer than a 1-pound bottle.

I buy one-pound canisters for testing new loads, then go straight to 8 lb keg when I find the powders I like. The keg usually lasts a half year or a year, depending upon how much I shoot. And 8 pounds cost the same as 5 or 6 individual pounds.

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
Or buy a 25 pound box of Rex.:biglaugh:

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
Hi all.
I guess this can be read two ways? how long does you powder last? Do you mean by using It, or not using It??? Are you talking shelf life or user life??? If you are talking about shelf life I have used powder that was more than 20 years old and It was kept very well, clean and dry, how clean? In the cans it came In and how dry? I have kept my powder In a damp but not wet basement with dry packd around It without any problems. Now as far as how long It will last by using It read above!!!
Semper Fi all. Hank D.

·
Super Moderator
14,943 Posts
Like NickA, once I find a powder that works good for my purposes, I buy it in 8# jugs. Except for Power Pistol which has 4# as the largest container size, which I don't understand.

To the original question, how long your powder lasts is directly dependent on how many rounds you load. There's 7000 grains per pound, so if you're loading 5.0 grains per round, you'll get 1400 rounds per pound. If you shoot 1400 rounds per month, a pound of that powder will last a month. If you shoot 1400 rounds a year, a pound will last a year.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks, thats what i was really wondering is a general rule of thumb, most people i have talked to try to stretch the powder and will load on the low side, so i was just kind of curious specially cuz i will be buying 1lb bottles till i get the hang of this and find what i like.

·
Registered
169 Posts
IMHO, trying to save money by reducing powder charges isn't particularly cost effective. Figure 16.25 for 1 lb of Win 748. That's 0.00232 per gr. So you're looking at saving less than 0.25 per hundred rounds if you download by 1 gr. Granted, that's a little over 2.25 per thousand, but load performance is higher on the list of desired results to me than saving a dollar or two per 1000 rounds.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lol im not going to be skimping anywhere its all by the book for me!:biglaugh: i wanna make sure i follow procedure and be safe specially cuz im new at this.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
1 pound lasts two weeks. I went to the range three times this week. :eek:

Nate

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
kwheele,

Welcome to the forum. Tracy

·
Registered
320 Posts
.223 per pound

Not nearly so many, @ 20 to 27gr per round. Varget? Fill'er up, try not to spill too much.:biglaugh:

Least that's what one feller told me.

·
Registered
731 Posts
A pound of powder is 7000 grains. Divide 7000 by the charge weight being used and you will have an exact answer to your question for any load being considered.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts