1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new to this board. I am about to purchase a new Kimber Pro Eclipse II in the the next couple of days and I have a few questions for anyone who might have insight a newbie could find useful.

I have read some posts on this site and others that say while Kimber products are of very good quality for production pieces there are the occassional oversights in the factory quality control processes. I am not overly concerned about getting a lemon but, I thought there would be some great suggestions that could be gleaned from others more experiecned than my self with Kimbers as to what to possibly watch out for when inspecting the gun prior to handing over my cash.

Also, if anybody has anything to say about how the finish on the Eclipse holds up or has seen a increase/decrease in night sight failures in more recent production units I would be interested in hearing about that as well.

Thanks alot and sorry for the loooooong post!

------------------
b-shooter

·
Registered
275 Posts
Okay, I'm usually sooo excited when I purchase a new sidearm I don't give it the best once-over...

but, if you have time look for cosmetic blemishes - why? Kimber Customer Service will correct and mechanical failures/issues, but you may have to life w/that awful scratch on the slide or that ding in the grips.

Ensure the slide is tight, thumb safety clicks on/off properly, grip safety engages and trigger resets.

Oh, always ensure the mag drops-free when mag release is depressed.

Good luck and Happy Shooting, Thunder25

·
Registered
240 Posts
okay i just got myself a pro eclipse about two weeks ago and i love it. i am sure you will to.as far as what to look for if you ask me it is not real hard to find something wrong with any gun.if you work the slide, field strip it and just look at it. if everything looks and feels good then there is nothing else you can notice unless you are a gunsmith.time will tell on most everything else.shooting the gun is the only real good way to find anything wrong internally.but like i say thats just my opinion, and you know what they say,opinions are like %$^holes everyones got one!

·
Registered
26 Posts
b-Shooter

I had to return my Eclipse II twice for a dim front sight problem. Unfortunately, it seems to take some use (shooting 50 to 500 rounds) before you know whether you have a problem.

If I had it to do over, I'd try to negotiate with Kimber on the shipping up front. They were willing to pay the second time but not the first. However, some recent posts indicate that some folks have been successful on the first round, since the problem is/was more widespread than a typical random defect. Kimber sent UPS a call tag. The slide was repaired and back on my doorstep 48 hours later so, as others will tell you, Kimber really pays attention to turning around a repair when they receive it.

The other thing I'd tell you is that you only need send they the slide if you have a dim sight problem. If you're not in too big a hurry, this will save you considerably if you have to pay for any of this because there isn't the "next day air" condition as for complete weapons.

Good luck!

·
Banned
108 Posts
Hello, I have a Pro Eclipse. I made the mistake holstering my new Eclipse in a Kydex holster. The black oxide didn't hold up to one trial fit. I was sick!
I spoke with Dennis at the Custom Shop and he told me to only use a suede lined holster.
Dennis also told me to send the pistol back and Kimber will refinish the gun under warranty. (plus $25.00 return shipping)
I sent my gun on a Thursday and had it back the following Thursday. Great Service!
So, to make a long story short, Only use suede lined holsters to protect that beautiful finish.

·
Registered
240 Posts
i bought my pro eclipse about 2 weeks ago have only shot about 100 rounds but my sights have yet to go dim.and a i use an unlined leather holster and it has not hurt my finish yet.if you are planning on carrying and think that the finish shouldn't wear then you are mistaken. i don't care what kind of holster you use lined or unlined.it will wear over time.look at an old mans pocket knife that has been cared in his pocket for years and it will be smooth as silk just by caring it in his pocket.i didn't by mine just to look good on my hip i bought it to protect me and my family.just my opinion.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to everyone who responded to my post! If anyone has anything else to add I'll take it.

I am pretty excited as this is a huge upgrade to the Ruger Mark I I have used for years for target shooting (can't beat a .22 for a cheap shot (no pun intended I swear!...kinda). I now want a protection piece for carry and the Ruger is definitely no the equipment for that job. I have shot the Kimber Classic and it was great -- just too big to carry for me anyway. The Pro Eclipse however seems to be fit my needs (and look cool doing it) and my hands better than any .45 I have held. Now I just have to get out of the office on time in the next couple of days so that I can get to the shop before they close.

Thanks again everyone for the replies! I will have to post a range report later and let you all know how it all goes.

------------------
b-shooter

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have a Pro Carry II and carry it in a Comp-Tac ghurka, a kydex IWB design that works really well. Several hundred presentations later, the finish is not too worse for wear. Guns are tools, not jewelry, no matter how pretty they look out of the box. The advantage of the Pro over the Classic is that it occupies less of your pants and clears leather faster. In your hand it shouldn't feel any different other than perhaps weight or balance. Enjoy your new hardware, I have.
Eventually you may want to look at the many excellent .22 conversion kits out there for the sake of cheap practice. Nothing can help you master trigger control like a tack driving .22

www.comp-tac.com

·
Banned
108 Posts
Ok guys, I got the hint. I guess I'm a little too picky. Anyway, the mark on my trigger guard was all the way to the metal. Not just a mar or scratch.
The refinished black oxide does appear to be better, I hope.
I bought the Pro Eclipse not only for function and features but also for the beauty. If I didn't care about beauty I would have bought something else. And like all nice things I buy, I take care of them . Ten years from know my Eclipse won't look like one that is abused. And yes, I do carry and shoot my guns. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Jethro Bodine,

No, You're not too picky!

I couldn't imagine paying that much money, and not being extremely satisfied.

I usually get made fun of because I don't throw my handguns/accessories around. I take care of them - I know I don't have the money to replace.

Take care and Happy Shooting, Thunder25

·
Registered
72 Posts
If the holster you tried marked your gun that badly, it was a poorly fitted holster. For our enlightenment, what brand and model was it? We can add your experience to our knowledge base. You aren't being too picky, Jethro. You're just being picky about the wrong things. If your holster left such a scuff on the trigger bow, then it may actually be cheating its way to some form of better retention. The speed of the presentation and the quality of retention should be your bigger complaints. I tried to baby my first combat handgun too. Go to a class with John Farnham to get over it. Seriously, the only thing that matters is function. If I wanted a sexy gun I'd go to Toys'R Us.

·
Banned
108 Posts
Hello, Bodine here. The holster was a Blade-Tech IWB. I used a Blade-Tech for two years with my Glock 27 and loved it. I think plastic on plastic is ok but leather on metal works better. The Blade-Tech uses the trigger guard as the retension. Anyway, to each his own.

I took a class several years ago and the instuctor yelled "DROP THE MAGS!". I had a hard time letting a hi-cap mag fall from my Glock, but I did. This is to make a point that I know the program.

I didn't buy the Pro Eclipse for personal protection, carry, to protect my family, etc.
I have a Pro Carry for daily carry(Galco Belt-Slide holster-finish still looks good after alot of presentations), a shot gun for home defense, and an HK G3 for other purposes along with other guns of likings. I bought the Pro Eclipse MAINLY because of the way it looks and standard features.

If you want to criticize me for buying a gun just for the looks, go ahead. I'm not be the first.

·
Banned
108 Posts
Oh yea, I looked at Toys R Us. Not a great selection of sexy guns. Let me know if you find some place better. ;-)

[This message has been edited by Jethro Bodine (edited 11-21-2001).]

·
Registered
240 Posts
thunder25 i wasn't trying to say not to take care of your guns i just meant normal wear and tear is to be expected from any holster.eventually pulling a gun in and out of a holster even if it is just to put it on in the morning and taking it off at night is gonna wear on the finish.i don't care if it is lined in silk the friction from taking it in and out of the holster is gonna wear eventually.i take as good care of my guns as i can.but i will carry it,i will use it and be happy that i have that security knowing i have a well working defence pistol on my side.i don't have the money to buy a gun just because it is pretty(not yet anyway!).if i had the money i guarentee i would have several fancy pieces in my gun case collecting dust,hell they wouldn't even collect dust because paying that much for it i would keep them dusted and polished to a jewlery shine.just my opinion.

[This message has been edited by hulkmag (edited 11-21-2001).]

[This message has been edited by hulkmag (edited 11-21-2001).]

·
Banned
108 Posts
Well, one thing for certain, we all like guns!

There is always something to learn, that is for sure.
This is why I'm here on this site. To learn and maybe share what little I might know.

Everyone be safe and have a great Thanksgiving! Bodine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts