1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Typically, I strive to keep all my firearms in pristine condition and try to purchase only 95% or better guns.
However, my daily carry gun that sees most of the holster time is my Colt Lightweight Enhanced Officers 45acp that I'm "Wilsonizing" and had a pretty worn finish on the muzzle and slide when I got it about a year ago. So, I decided to help it along a bit.
Now as I watch the finish diminish bit by bit taking it in and out of my holster it doesn't bother me anymore and only enhances it.
I certainly would NEVER do this to a perfect finish, but this one seemed to be asking for it from day one and I'm really pleased with the results. I'll have to admit, the pictures don't do it justice, it looks pretty cool in hand.
For many, I understand why you "don't get it" but I think it's a great alternative for a daily carried gun that's getting beat'n up already.
The first picture is when I first got it and the finish has only gone down hill since, so...
Let the hate begin. lol

Attachments

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Is that "assembly scratch" part of your "Wilsonizing"?

·
Administrator
73,043 Posts
Nobody's going to care what you do with a recent production Colt that's not a collectible. Had you done this with a pristine 1930s National Match, well that's another story. For newer guns however, do as you please as they're just tools.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is that "assembly scratch" part of your "Wilsonizing"?
Nope, that was a present from the previous owner that didn't know how to disassemble a 1911 properly. hahaha

·
Registered
23,178 Posts
A shooter. Have fun. In my shooty collection I bought a 1985 all steel. I was curious about the Officers as in 1985 I bought a Detonics as a backup to the Colt Gov (1978) which was my main carry back then. I had a lot of fear and loathing for the Series 80 mechanical firing pin safety Colt introduced in 1983 back then. When I found a 85 Officers ACP in nice shape at a LGS with box and papers a few years ago for about $600 I thought it would be fun to get it and shoot it alongside my 85 Detonics.

The Detonics came with wood stocks, which I still have but I put Pachmayer wrap arounds on it as my little finger has no place to go with that short grip.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Looks to me that you purposely distressed the edges. No way that was from carrying and removing from holster for a year. To each their own I guess.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I'm looking forward to my 99% Black-T finish Pro showing some character.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Some people refinish guns like that and there is a name for it....

"distressed finish"

I'm not kidding

·
Administrator
73,043 Posts
I have no problem with honest wear, but wear or damage from me being careless drives me up the wall. As for "distressed finishes"... to me it's like those expensive jeans teenagers buy that come straight off the rack with rips and holes in them. If they really want jeans like that I have plenty that got that way through actual use. I'm certainly not going to pay for the privilege!

Having said that that, I've seen people do "distressed finishes" on AK rifles to make them look like they came back from the 'Stan, and they looked pretty cool.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks to me that you purposely distressed the edges. No way that was from carrying and removing from holster for a year. To each their own I guess.
Ya think? hahaha

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have no problem with honest wear, but wear or damage from me being careless drives me up the wall. As for "distressed finishes"... to me it's like those expensive jeans teenagers buy that come straight off the rack with rips and holes in them. If they really want jeans like that I have plenty that got that way through actual use. I'm certainly not going to pay for the privilege!

Having said that that, I've seen people do "distressed finishes" on AK rifles to make them look like they came back from the 'Stan, and they looked pretty cool.
Personally, it really "irks" me getting even honest wear from a holster that I wont even put most of my guns in one. When I bought this Colt it had a decent amount of honest holster wear and has only gotten worse since then, it's the perfect size to carry wearing anything I've found, so now the extra wear doesn't bother me anymore.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I think it looks good. The finish is similar to the Colt Hawk done by Nighthawk shown in a post/thread of the same name.

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
My first gamer gun from the 80's got new sights in the mid 90's requiring machine work. While at the G/S he called to say he had his "hot tank" is ready to go and would bead blast and refinish it for free! What a deal right. When I got it back it looked beautiful! BUT...years of honest wear and character had been removed! All of a sudden it was just another gun!

I'll never refinish another gun to cover up honest wear, damage maybe!

Smiles,

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think it looks good. The finish is similar to the Colt Hawk done by Nighthawk shown in a post/thread of the same name.
Actually brad, that one and the one Wilson has is what got me really considering it. Cabbott has one too that's done very similar to the way I did mine coincidently. I hate getting the tiniest little scratch on any of my guns, so this was truly therapeutic for me. lol

1 - 20 of 43 Posts