1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I may have an opportunity to buy a nickel plated Combat Commander for a very decent price. An early "70" serial number, plastic grips, etc. The only problem is that the pistol was neglected, and has moisture damage on one side - probably some rust, not aweful, but more than I would normally accept in a gun. (The blued guns in the collection were pretty bad; the plated ones - so-so.) However, I have always wanted a C.C./70

If I get it, I will probably send it out to be hard chromed or refinished. Perhaps parkerized or Robar, depending on the depth of the pitting, if any.

I always like saving a pistol. But I will probably have $500-600 into this if I buy it, have the nickel striped, and refinish it. Do you think it is worth it? Second, :p what kind of sight should I get?

·
Registered
7,803 Posts
" Do you think it is worth it "......yes, if it is what you like to do (save an abused Colt), then yes! I took an old MKIV Officers ACP I got for 420, installed the Wilson recoil system, fitted an Ed Brown bushing on it, lightly sanded and reblued it, and put nice mahoganey grips on it, and had a great time doing it. Shoots like a champ and its accuracy really surprised me and my shootin partners. I hope it turns out well for you....BTW, I dont know what you like for sights, but I had Kings 3 dots installed on an old 38 super series 70 commander I fixed up and like them alot...not much money either.

·
Administrator
73,401 Posts
I'm sure you're already aware you'll never recoup your costs, so it's all just a labor of love.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I've personally seen rusted pistols rescued by Robar and they do a fantastic job. Everything else has already been said. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Accurate plating and weaponry AWP

has done some miraculous clean up work and hard chrome work for me in the past. they are also set up to recut the roll marks on your slide if they need too.

Build it just the way you want and have these folks hard chrome it. you will be happy

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Actually hold up!

Field strip the gun, dont determined it was completely abused yet until you checked the internals.

There may be a possibility that the gun laid n the safe on one side and was rarely shot.

If this is the case, you might have a good gun that just needs a new refinish. :)

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The AWP web site is impressive. The OD flat ceramic coating looks interesting.

Only other mods would be a bevel under the trigger guard and a front sight and dovetail to match a Kings 3-dot rear sight. I would probably swap out some small parts to tighten it up, but nothing noticable.

Thanks for the thoughts.

PMH

1 - 8 of 8 Posts