1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
72,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wraparound finger grips of any sort, and optical sights top my list. Something about a classic 1911 with a big Aimpoint that doesn't quite look right to me.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Banned
5,952 Posts
Hey dsk.....
Just wanted to let you know that Mrs. Sam Colt was just having fun and not upset.

The worst additions to a beautiful 1911 is engraving done by someone who doesn't know how to engrave; someone who has added their California Drivers license to the frame; someone who has proudly scratched their name somewhere on the beautiful bluing.

Regards,
Sam

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I really dislike the built in finger groove (please excuse my lack of proper terms).

------------------
"You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty..we use these words as the backbone to a life spent defending something. You use 'em as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I'd prefer you just said thank you and wen on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you're entitled to!" Col. Nathan R. Jessep

·
Administrator
72,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by SamColtFan:
Hey dsk.....
Just wanted to let you know that Mrs. Sam Colt was just having fun and not upset.
I didn't think she was. I just feel we were all getting a bit carried away back there.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
A few of my un-favorite things (on carry psitols):
  • Hooked trigger guards
    Welded up finger grooves
    Ambi-slide releases
    Extended slide releases
    Radically upswept grip safeties
    Lights hanging off the "dust cover"
    Ivory stocks on white pistols
    Oversized mag-wells
    Poor engraving
    Gold plateing
    Fragile sights

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
MOLON LABE
Leonidas c 480 BC
FFF

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
For me;
Extended Slide lock
Pachmayr's (don't mind the Hogue's)
Mag Well's (especially when they're not blended)
overly tall front sights
Bad refinish jobs, where you can only see half the markings that used to be on the slide...

·
Registered
474 Posts
There are a few things I do not want on my 1911's.

1) Major parts made of plastic
2) Anything made of rubber
3) Extended magewll, slide release, and mag release.
4) Finger grooves
5) Poor/unblended fit of parts
6) Ivory on stainless
7) Fake grips

------------------

·
Registered
117 Posts
Them there grooves on the front of the slide. Kimber does it. Stinks.

I like the grip of my Hogue wraps on the UltraCompact. Not "cool" looking particularly, but they feel good. (Had a wife like that once.)

I may spring for some rosewood or water buffalo panels. Micarta.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
You guys pretty much summed it up already. There may be another one if I could add: a really high rear sight. This applies specifically to those 1911s with Millet adj. rear sight (I also hate the look of Browning HP with this sight.)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Something I haven't seen posted yet is the flashlight some choose to attach to their guns. Not only is it ugly, if used in a defensive situation it gives the bad guy a great target, just shoot at the light, your head will be right behind it.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I'm gonna catch hell here, but you asked for opinions!
1. Ambi anything. I only have a right hand, but I really hate lefty stuff on a right hander's gun because it is hanging out there waiting to catch on something or be swiped off.
2. Commander hammers with the round hole. Does that remove any weight, or just make it hard to cock and uncock?
3. Scopes and adjustable sights. What adjustable sight can go skidding across the pavement and be ok after a refinnish?
4. Rubber grips. Does the 45 really kick hard enough to be ugly like a SA Ruger Super Blackhawk?
5. Long and or wide safeties. If you want to rest your thumb, holster your gun and tuck it in your belt!
6. Brass base pads. Whose gun needs more weight?
7. Mag wells that require base pads for mag seating. My gun doesn't need more length, I have a hard enough time concealing what is there now.
8. Three dot sights. In daylight: Why is this better than plain black? Why is plain black the IPSC choice? At night: Which one is the front? Who will make this pattern?
-0-
9. Flimsy nylon rigs. Suck it up and spend the $100 or so for good leather.
10. Blued carry guns. Great at first, but rust is so hard to color coordinate with and comes after a few draws!
11. Barrels which extend beyond the slide. 'nuf said!
12. An owner who holds it rotated, "gangsta" style at the range!
13. Stainless that rusts!
OK, I'm done. If I've offended, please realize it is just on stupid 1911 owner's opinion and I may just need to be taught a lesson!

------------------
"I don't want to use a 2 million dollar bomb to bomb a 10 dollar tent and hit a camel in the ass. . ."

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
Originally posted by SamColtFan:
Hey dsk.....
someone who has added their California Drivers license to the frame;
Regards,
Sam
Have you REALLY seen someone do that? What were they thinking?

------------------
"Double-action in an auto pistol seems to me an ingenious solution to a non-existent problem." -Jeff Cooper G&A mag Oct. 1973

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
Originally posted by Genghis:
Them there grooves on the front of the slide. Kimber does it. Stinks.

Gotta agree, but have realized the function. My Glock has no serrations on the front. One time when I was press checking the chamber my hand slipped, and the rear sight sliced my Thumb when my hand slipped. Never has slipped on my Kimber, though.

------------------
"Double-action in an auto pistol seems to me an ingenious solution to a non-existent problem." -Jeff Cooper G&A mag Oct. 1973

·
Registered
349 Posts
The fancy triggers and hammers with holes in them are the ugliest thing anyone ever put on a pistol. Next is checkering. Basically anything that doesn't look G.I. But I really like lowered and flared ejection ports though. My springfield milspec with barsto barrel I personally hard fitted and trigger job will shoot just as well as any les baer or other super expensive waste of money gun, and it looks a heak of a lot better too. I can't understand why people waste so much money, thousands of dollars, to mutilate such a simple and beautiful weapon as the 1911.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts