1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone that's been shooting for awhile will have at least one. I believe experienced shooters have more than the person that is just beginning
I'll tell you mine, and I have a few I'm not proud to say. If you will tell me yours.
At age 17 (I'm 62 now)while fast drawing a Hi Standard Double Nine my thumb slipped of the hammer, and shot a hole in the side of my holster. Just missed my leg.
While unloading my Winchester 62A I let the hammer slip off my thumb, and shot a hole in my bed.

Had a frontier six gun fully loaded, and under the pillow on my bed gun fell off the bed. Landed with muzzle down, and shot a 44/40 into the floor. (I know should of had five in it). I carry that shell on my key ring as a reminder that I can never be safe enough with firearms.
My friend while showing the trigger pull of his Glock 26 to a friend shot a hole through the roof of his car. The old forgot one was in the pipe.. He hasn't gotten over the embarrassment of that one, and was still shook up when he called to tell me.
Ever have someone hand you a gun, and say it's not loaded? We all know seeing is believing.
I believe experienced shooters have more accidentals than the person that is just a beginner. Something to think about, and that is my intent with this thread.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
I've had my share...first one when my buddy was showing me a .25 his dad had left him...I yanked the trigger and shot his bed. Later I had a few one night, and was playing with my PPK...Next morning I yanked the trigger and shot a hole in the wall. Another time my gloved finger got caught in the trigger guard of my .308 bolt rifle and shot one about 30 degrees in the air. Every one of them was preventable, and everyone was due to neglecting the basic safety rules. Luckily, no one ever got hurt. They probably won't be my last either....but I sure am more careful these days.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Well yea...but they all are in the long run, if you look at it that way. If you drop your gun and it discharges, it was negligent that you had a round chambered, or that you dropped it. If a branch wipes off the safety on your bolt rifle, and another pulls the trigger, it's negligence that you loaded the chamber, even if this unlikely chain of events that should never occur, did happen. It depends on how far back you want to go to acess the blame. I think I've seen this thread before somewhere. AD/ND...they are nearly the same thing..depends on where you want to point the finger. After all, the gun is inert..it's all up to YOU in the long run. (Except for the anti's).

·
Premium Member
20,440 Posts
Having two tree branches discharge your rifle and "having a few and playing with my PPK" are quite different scenarios.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
totoy bumbilya said:
someone should teach those branches a lesson... gun safety 101 perhaps.:biglaugh:
No we should ban the branches out right. After all if it saves one child it is worth it.

I had a negligent and sent a .25 thru my bed at home. Damn that little thing was loud :(

·
Registered
228 Posts
Years ago, as a greeeen-pea, I took the advice of a benchrest shooter who thought I had at least a little experience (I didn't know squat about shooting, reloading, headspaciing, etc.), and I bought a Canjar trigger for my newly-acquired Rem700.

It installed easily, and seemed to work just fine with an empty chamber. One sweet trigger pull. I put a round in the gun to see if the bolt closed any differently, and ka-BOOM!! :eek: Right through the roof. Who's deaf?? What?:eek: Man, was I surprised. THAT WASN'T MY FAULT; (directly). Oh, sorry, babe, I didn't know I was yelling, I can't hear.

Anyway,I didn't have my finger on the trigger, I was still closing the bolt. I continued to work on the trigger that night, and with once-fired cases it took about 4 assembly-disassemblies and trigger adjustments before I got it so's closing the bolt wouldn't set off the gun (I didn't learn til many years later about sear/hammer relationship). I checked with the local police 8 hours later and fortunately, it seems my round landed without hurting anyone or damaging anything.

That was sure one hell of a lesson, and I don't check function at home (especially in a room with an 8' ceiling :eek:) with anything but dummy rounds ever since then.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Years ago after I had finished showing a friend my 38 S & W revolver, he decided to be funny by unloading the bullet out of the gun, pointing the gun at my chest and dry fired it three times. Well, afterward I looked into the gun and found that my friend (the idiot), in his rush to empty the gun did not take all the bullets out. And had he fired it one more time, I would not be responding to this thread.

Please, please be save, and always treat every gun as if they were loaded at all times. And never let your idiot friend handle you loaded weapons.

·
Registered
14,968 Posts
Rather than getting bogged down in sophomoric semantics, I'll just relate what happened to me, and you guys can call it whatever you wish. It certainly was due to negligence on my part, and it certainly was an accident.

I"m looking, at this very moment, at a .45 cal. hole in my bedroom ceiling. I left it there as a reminder. Ten years or so ago, I moved back to S. GA from the Atlanta area. Many years ago, my father owned one of the original MAC 10's (with suppressor). A couple of months before my father's death in 1981, he sold the MAC-10 to the local Sheriff's Dept. for $100, including the suppressor.

Shortly after I moved back to S. GA., I stopped by to see the Sheriff and he letl me take the MAC 10 home for a little R&R. (Don't waste your breath on the legalities; I know what they are.) Having not fired the MAC 10 for a number of years, I thought I'd "smoke it over" and clean it before shooting. After cleaning, I inserted a loaded mag and was going to cycle the action, just to see how well it worked after all these years. Naturally, since it shoots from an open bolt, (THAT'S the part that I"d forgotten!) the bolt locked back, as it should have.

I thought "something was stuck" (yep, iegnorance and negligence) and kind of "forced" the bolt closed, at which time the aforementioned hole appeared in my ceiling. I was afraid to let go of the bolt, as I was afraid that something was mechanically broken and that it might empty the entire mag in my bedroom. Finally, I released the bolt, dropped the mag, cleared the weapon and all was well. Fortunately, the suppressor was attached at the time of the mishap, as I certainly didn't have any ear protection on at the time.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Ah, the memories. In '94 I was cleaning my Ruger MII, which was one of my bullseye guns at the time. I was at the kitchen table trying to take the stupid lever down and it wouldn't come out. I'm getting frustrated, then remember that it won't come out if the gun is cocked. So, to see if it's cocked I pull the trigger. BOOM. Somehow at the range I had not shot all 5 (that's how many we loaded at a time) or had loaded 6. I had the gun pointing to the left and the round went through the wall into the backyard, where I found it on the patio. Scared the crap outta me! Very valuable lesson learned at a cheap price - I was lucky.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well here is one I forgot to mention. 1968 I picked up a Winchester 97' trench gun at a gun show. That evening I was cleaning it. I had rather stiff action, so I put extra oil around the bolt, and while holding the trigger I was working the action a doz. times or more. It was getting late, and my wife had gone to bed, and I decided to do the same, but remembered I hadn't checked to see if it would cycle a round OK. Your already know what I did. Pumped the action with my finger on the trigger. BOOM blew the hell out of a stuffed wicker chair. Cotton falling like a snow storm. Bird shot pellets peppered my intertainment center to, but somehow missed the TV screen. I yelled out "I'm OK". Needless to say the living room looked like a war zone.
First rule is put our brain in gear before we mess with our guns.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Two summers ago I came home with a new Walther P-99.Newly introduced to MA because they had all the required safeties on them.I was showing my wife the loaded chamber indicator and how well it worked and pulled the trigger.My wife looked at a .40cal shell at her feet.The LCI worked so good that I trusted it and not my brain.Bullet went through wall and luckily stopped in the door frame.My heart sank as I looked around the corner to see if it exited.The weird thing is my wife and I didn't hear the round go off but the dog was deaf for the rest of the night and early morning.It was my first ND so I called the police not knowing what one's supposed to do.I'd rather not think what could've happened if that bullet went into another house or into my wife.I have become much more concious of gun safety since then as well as others around me.I've also learned to trust the safety between my ears and not the ones on the gun.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
25 years ago I had a PPK that I acccidentally shot into my mom's open closet....she thought we had moths when she found the lhe little holes in the bottom of a few dresses....luckily she never found the hole in the rear wall.....still don't remember exactly how I did it...might have been testing the safety thinking it was on....in more recent times, 10 years ago, I cleaned a friend's 38 snubbie and reloaded it before I could tell him it was loaded he grabbed it, aimed at my TV and blew it up....but he bought me a 27 inch and the one he wrecked was a 20" so that was a good AD.....

·
Registered
153 Posts
I've never had a ND/AD, but have come close. I dropped a revolver once and it could have been bad except for a firing pin safety. The gun hit the concrete hammer first and I was looking straight down the barrel.

An Uncle recently gave me a .22 auto. He pointed it straight at my stomach while trying to get the action open. He was fumbling all over the place. I was rather disturbed to see a full mag and a round in the pipe come out when he finally had the action open. BTW, opening it required the safety to be OFF. I was lucky he never hit the trigger.

I remember as a teen shooting turtles once and the .22 bullets skipped off the water, over an embankment and right through the yard where my parents were working. That is scary to recall. Boy was it stupid.

Now, for all you 1911 fans. The person who first got me enamored with 1911s used to carry a lightweight government model clone. He opened the door to his car at a convenience store one night and somehow his pistol fell to the pavement (say 2 feet or less) - - KA BOOM!!! I don't know if it was an inertia discharge or a hammer/sear failure, but a short drop caused a discharge. Fortunately, nobody was hurt.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hope if I ever do, no one except a piece of furniture gets the worst of it....
You are so right! I bought my wife a new washer.

After 36+ years of being an EXPERT, I STILL tried to lower the hammer with my tumb on a loaded 1911!

RELEASE THE MAGAZINE; RACK THE SLIDE TO EJECT THE CHAMBERED ROUND. ALWAYS!!!

ALWAYS!!!

Tom:(

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Another dead TV story

A friend of mine forgot, or whatever his 45 was loaded. Didn't like something on TV, and shot it.. Through the TV through the wall, and put a hole in the trunk of a car outside. He notified the person, and had to pay for some body work. How many times have I pointed a gun at the TV. I never dry fire anything though.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Never point the weapon at anything you're not willing to destroy.
Everytime the [email protected] washer ran it sounded like:algorealgorealgore!:hrm:
Tom

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Closeest i've come was actually a defective trigger mechanism. My first rifle, a Mossberg 144 .22 target rifle, I had loaded to shoot and for some unexpected reason decided not to. With the rifle still pointed down range I opened the bolt and the rifle went off. Took it off to the gunsmith who found a broken spring in the trigger caused it. Fortunately the muzzle was where it was supposed to be.

later,
AJ

1 - 20 of 110 Posts