1911Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok..all my fellow 1911 experts..this is one I honestly never expected to happen to me..which of course is why it did.
I usually remove my 1911 (nice leather holster OWB front strong side) before I do any loading of my music gear..but tonight I've been more worried about the local hood who continues to break into homes and so I decided when i came home that i'd just leave my gun on...short version - gun fell out of holster, onto bare concrete and BANG.
I felt shrap from the hollowpoint ding both of my calves.. i've got a nice lil red hole break in the skin on both...through my jeans and socks..but can't complain about a lil scratch.
I looked down and the gun was laying there still in C&L. The safety was still fully engaged and the hammer was full back in locked position.
the hollowpoint was in pieces and I found probably 40% of it scattered about..can't tell where it actually hit. and I can't find a mark on the gun to tell how it landed.
I picked it up, dropped the mag, flipped the safety off and racked the slide..the spent case was still in there and it ejected.
I'm really pissed because I've been carrying C&L now for quite a while and believed I had a safe weapon and believed all I've read here and elsewhere about the safeness of C&L in a 1911...btw this is a nice springfield ultra compact V10..not a cheapo gun. It has had no mods done to it that would have changed the factory safety design.
I'm very fortunate it did not land in a different direction, but the thread a while back that said "just let it drop..don't try to catch it..etc." I had no choice.. I had 80lbs of speaker cab in my arms when it came out..so I wasn't trying to catch it..it simply took the 3 ft fall to the floor and fortunately was pointing someplace else.

so..now...somebody wanna tell this dummy what in the hell just happened?
I'll take the gun to my local shop tommorrow so he can check it out since it fired but was unable to cycle the slide as it was locked in place.
I did check the safety and trigger action with an empty pistol tonight and all that is still functioning.
It's a solid steel gun so I expect it handled it well enough but dang!:confused:

·
Registered
495 Posts
When you dropped the gun in landed on the front of the gun. The momentum from the drop caused the firing pin to strinke the primer. If I were you I would replace the firing pin spring with a new one.

·
Registered
46 Posts
When you dropped the gun in landed on the front of the gun. The momentum from the drop caused the firing pin to strinke the primer. If I were you I would replace the firing pin spring with a new one.
If that's the case, then the schwartz safety doesn't sound like too bad an idea, eh?

·
Registered
495 Posts
This is one of the advantages of having a series 80 1911.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Anyway, just replace your firing pin spring and everything should be okay.

·
Registered
11,100 Posts
so..now...somebody wanna tell this dummy what in the hell just happened?
Sounds like your holster doesnt do a very good job of retaining the weapon.

Should be able to run up and down some stairs, lay down on the floor and roll around, jump up and down, etc. all without your gun coming out.

·
Registered
129 Posts
dude!! that made me cringe reading that,,,glad your all right,,please have your gun checked!!!:eek: after all the stuff I've heard about the swartz safties,,I'm feeling pretty good about my PCCll

·
Premium Member
3,293 Posts
Does your model has the titanium firing pin? I thought this was one of the reasons SA used ti was to have a lighter FP that could not build the momentum to ignite a primer. If so could this have been avoided w/ a wolfe FP spring?

·
Banned
4,761 Posts
Bighanded, Go to your smith and get the gun fixed(of course) Then go to your chuch. Thank God no one got killed then pray it NEVER happens again.

P.S Pick up a new quality holster.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I agree that it is likely the inertia of the impact that caused the firing pin to strike the primer on the cartridge. Take it to the gunsmith to have it double checked and change the FP spring to a Wolff extra strength.

I'm glad the injury was minimal, and no one else was hurt. We can all learn from this incident.

I feel better about my Kimber II with Swartz.

·
Registered
75 Posts
what is the Schwarz firing pin safety ?

I carry the same pistol as the OP, I'd hate for this to happen to me. What is the Schwarz firing pin safety ? What does it do? newbie to these 1911, so please explain.

to the OP? did the cops show up?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Owb

That's why I WILL NOT have a owb holster without a thumb-break top-strap!!!!Weapon retension is just as important as having a weapon on you.I have open-top Iwb's but not owb's , never had one fall out. That's just MY WAY. Glad you were'nt hurt !!!:eek:

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I have to ask. How did it fall out of the holster? What holster and gun?

Please post pics if you can?

I moved into an across town using a rental truck and had no issues with my gun coming loose and even thinking about falling.

Government Model and a Milt Sparks Holster

·
Registered
338 Posts
My stomach seriously started to turn the more I read into the opening post, and then I realized that this had to be a 70 series pistol. I'm sooooo glad to hear that you nor anyone else was injured. BTW.... you're holster sucks, dooood. Get rid of that sumbitch!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Ed, you definitely need a new holster.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
My stomach seriously started to turn the more I read into the opening post, and then I realized that this had to be a 70 series pistol. I'm sooooo glad to hear that you nor anyone else was injured. BTW.... you're holster sucks, dooood. Get rid of that sumbitch!
Burn the holster.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.