1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes I just hate GunBroker for all the last minute bids raising the price on something I might want. Other times I put a low ball bid in, not expecting to win. Imagine my surprise when I won what looks like an OK Alloy from 1979 for $456. With shipping, CC fees and FFL transfer it’s still under $600, so I’m not unhappy.

This will be my third Alloy. Now I need two more Detective Slides!

I’ll post more pix when I get it in a week or so.
Here’s one from the listing. If the finish is original, it looks pretty OK, better than #1!

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Wood stain

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I saw that one. Tracked it for a while but I decided I did not need another Alloy right now. Good pick up.

Reactions: colrhino

·
Registered
801 Posts
Nice pick up Tim. I was following it as well. Actually emailed seller to see if all serial numbers match. They do. I went with one of the Rguns alloy offerings at $531. Not sure what I will do with it. Might talk with Don Williams and see what the wait period is.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My first one was from RGuns. I was able to fondle half a dozen to pick one from. They are about a 45 minute drive for me. Next time I feel a need, I'll have to give them a call and see if they still have a bunch.

I sure prefer the import mark on RGuns than on this new one. I have a spare un-numberd MK ll slide I can pair with the frame if it really bothers me.

Cheers,

Tim

·
Registered
801 Posts
RGuns have been offering/selling about two or three alloy High Powers per week on Gunbroker. Condition, especially the finish is a bit rough.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
RGuns have been offering/selling about two or three alloy High Powers per week on Gunbroker. Condition, especially the finish is a bit rough.
I bought the first alloy gun that they had for sale on GunBroker years ago. They didn’t even know they were alloy frames.

I asked them if a magnet stuck to the frame. After that every one of their ads said alloy frame lol. They never even thanked me for the info.

I might have to look into one now to match up to my new FM detective.

Reactions: ToddSig

·
Registered
801 Posts
I bought the first alloy gun that they had for sale on GunBroker years ago. They didn’t even know they were alloy frames.

I asked them if a magnet stuck to the frame. After that every one of their ads said alloy frame lol. They never even thanked me for the info.

I might have to look into one now to match up to my new FM detective.
Search the Gunbroker past sales and you will see RGuns has been selling a lot of alloy HPs for some time now, as I said two to three per week. They should give you one for the heads up you gave them. BTW, the Detective looks great. I am taking your advice and calling Don W this week.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I sure prefer the import mark on RGuns than on this new one. I have a spare un-numberd MK ll slide I can pair with the frame if it really bothers me.
I always file off the secondary import mark. Usually not hard to do if you are careful and take your time. Depending on the finish, but typically some cold blue works well on the small area.

·
Premium Member
16,209 Posts
When I had HPs, I had a Ciener .22 kit with aluminum slide. I always thought it would be cool to pair it with an aluminum frame, for a super-light .22.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When I had HPs, I had a Ciener .22 kit with aluminum slide. I always thought it would be cool to pair it with an aluminum frame, for a super-light .22.
A dedicated .22 High Power. Not a bad idea at all! I think I will do this until I find a better purpose for it.

Cheers,

Tim

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I am in California, where I cannot buy a handgun frame at all, and anything less than 50 years old has to be on 'the list' to be able to import it. If it were older, I could use a C&R exemption. No Alloy frame HPs are on the list, and I think they are all less than 50 years old.

I REALLY want to build up a dedicated .22lr HP, but- I don't want to spend $1000 for an entire pistol when I just need the frame. [I already have enough parts to build two frames into complete 9mm BHP pistols]

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am in California, where I cannot buy a handgun frame at all, and anything less than 50 years old has to be on 'the list' to be able to import it. If it were older, I could use a C&R exemption. No Alloy frame HPs are on the list, and I think they are all less than 50 years old.

I REALLY want to build up a dedicated .22lr HP, but- I don't want to spend $1000 for an entire pistol when I just need the frame. [I already have enough parts to build two frames into complete 9mm BHP pistols]
In another 5 years or so my oldest alloy frame High Power (1976) will be C&R eligible, with more aging in every year. This is probably sooner than CA will change their laws.

The ‘76 still has the mashed in frame lug, but the ‘79 has the round pin.

*Still waiting for shipment. Supposed to go out Tuesday, and then Wednesday. I’m not in a hurry at all, but who likes waiting! The IL FTIP system has been really backed up in the last few weeks with folks who always get instant approval having to wait a week or more. It looks like it might be fixed now so hopefully, I can fill out the form and take it home at the same time. My 3 day wait period was finished yesterday!

Cheers,

Tim

·
Registered
271 Posts

50 years?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
50 years?
ATF C&R regs: any firearm has C&R status when it is 50+ years old. It does not have to be a 'named' firearm on a list at ATF.

California has a 'safety' requirement generally called 'the list'. This is a list of all handguns eligible for import/sale [as new] in california. If a semi-auto is NOT named on this list, it cannot be imported. . This list is supposed to be for our 'safety', but- it isn't. It is designed to reduce the number of firearms available for purchase. Any new additions have to have: all drop safety testing met [original intent- dropping a handgun from 5 feet onto concrete won't make it fire], and the additions they've tacked on after the first 5 years of the list: mag disconnect, external thumb safety, lci visible from 15 feet, and microstamping of the shell in 2 places with a unique serial number. DA/SA revolvers have to be named on this list also, but can be added, as they don't require all of the 'add on' characters- just the drop safety ones.

I cannot buy a S&W M&P 2.0 45 [or any M&P other than 2 shield models].
All Glocks that I can buy have to be 'gen 3'.
I cannot buy any of the Tisas HP clones.
I cannot buy anything made since 1971- unless it is on 'the list' or is a single-action revolver.

I CAN buy [almost] any handgun made before 1970- as it is C&R, and 'list' exempt.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
TNorris- so, if I wait long enough, some alloy framed HPs will become eligible? That is what I am hearing. Hmmm. good thought!

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
50 years?
After 50 years, nearly anything is on the Curios and Relics list. Anyone with a C&R license can buy a C&R firearm from anyone else with a C&R license, with few restrictions. My first C&R purchase was a very nice 1970 Walther PPK/S. No Illinois 3 day waiting period. It was kinda fun!

Soon, there will be C&R Alloy High Powers.

Cheers,

Tim
*Apologies if I answered a question you didn't ask!

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
TNorris- so, if I wait long enough, some alloy framed HPs will become eligible? That is what I am hearing. Hmmm. good thought!
Indeed... if you can find a C&R guy/shop to sell you one, you only need to wait five years, give or take. Get your C&R if you haven't already. It's only $30. And on your CC statement it will say "Firearms and Explosives". That alone was worth the $30!

Cheers,

Tim

·
Registered
271 Posts
ATF C&R regs: any firearm has C&R status when it is 50+ years old. It does not have to be a 'named' firearm on a list at ATF.

California has a 'safety' requirement generally called 'the list'. This is a list of all handguns eligible for import/sale [as new] in california. If a semi-auto is NOT named on this list, it cannot be imported. . This list is supposed to be for our 'safety', but- it isn't. It is designed to reduce the number of firearms available for purchase. Any new additions have to have: all drop safety testing met [original intent- dropping a handgun from 5 feet onto concrete won't make it fire], and the additions they've tacked on after the first 5 years of the list: mag disconnect, external thumb safety, lci visible from 15 feet, and microstamping of the shell in 2 places with a unique serial number. DA/SA revolvers have to be named on this list also, but can be added, as they don't require all of the 'add on' characters- just the drop safety ones.

I cannot buy a S&W M&P 2.0 45 [or any M&P other than 2 shield models].
All Glocks that I can buy have to be 'gen 3'.
I cannot buy any of the Tisas HP clones.
I cannot buy anything made since 1971- unless it is on 'the list' or is a single-action revolver.

I CAN buy [almost] any handgun made before 1970- as it is C&R, and 'list' exempt.
Gotcha, Why almost anything pre 1970?

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My accidental ‘79 Alloy has arrived! Looks pretty good. Mag disconnect still intact and no major blemishes other than the customary signs of holster wear. The barrel is tarnished where exposed by the ejection port, similar to the entire barrel on my 1943 pistol. Poor storage?

I’m guessing the grips are not original, they seem to be extra thick aftermarket grips. The 10 round magazine that came with it is obviously not original.

There are no markings for Belgian/Austrian Police.

Better pictures after I clean her up a bit.

SFS and new springs will be added, as well as a BHSS Trigger to match my other shooters. I probably won’t refinish her, but she should make a great dedicated .22 High Power for practice!

Cheers,

Tim

The tarnish… and some holster wear.
Air gun Trigger Automotive exterior Gun barrel Wood

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Gotcha, Why almost anything pre 1970?
It has nothing to do with the year 1970. It is simply a calculating tool that allows for C&R to be constantly defined: anything over 50 years old.

It just so happens that 50+ years old is 1970 and older.

4 years ago, it was 1966, and I missed a couple of handguns on gunbroker because they were 1968 and 1969.
This year, I could get them.

10 years ago it was 1960.

But, C&R was still defined as 50+ years old.

My accidental ‘79 Alloy has arrived! Looks pretty good. Mag disconnect still intact and no major blemishes other than the customary signs of holster wear. The barrel is tarnished where exposed by the ejection port, similar to the entire barrel on my 1943 pistol. Poor storage?

I’m guessing the grips are not original, they seem to be extra thick aftermarket grips. The 10 round magazine that came with it is obviously not original.

There are no markings for Belgian/Austrian Police.

Better pictures after I clean her up a bit.

SFS and new springs will be added, as well as a BHSS Trigger to match my other shooters. I probably won’t refinish her, but she should make a great dedicated .22 High Power for practice!

Cheers,

Tim

The tarnish… and some holster wear.
View attachment 615109

Looks REAL nice- I am so jealous!

Of course, since I can't get an alloy framed HP, or a detective HP, I just bought a CZ 75BD Compact [AKA: PCR ]. Now I just have to wait for DROS to end to bring it home from the LGS.

Hey- it is a good excuse to try something else!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts