1911Forum banner
61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
I think it has been mentioned before that a licensed gunsmith will probably decline working on an 80% build.
Joe

·
Premium Member
14,828 Posts
Log, suppose I hire an average TIG welder, with no gunsmithing experience. What are the chances that the job will be botched and as a result, the frame dimensions will warp? Is dimension warping unavoidable when TIG welding any part of the frame? What’s the best procedure to avoid warping and/or other problems associated with TIG welding? Must the welder work fast when welding?
In this area I do not see a warpage problems. You will have to make your own judgement as to the welders ability, explain your concerns and explain what you need for him to do. Hold a straight edge on top and show exactly where the buildup must be. If he seems confident then it may go well. Look at other work he may have done in the shop, etc.

LOG

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
In this area I do not see a warpage problems. You will have to make your own judgement as to the welders ability, explain your concerns and explain what you need for him to do. Hold a straight edge on top and show exactly where the buildup must be. If he seems confident then it may go well. Look at other work he may have done in the shop, etc.

LOG
thank you. If I do decide to TIG weld the frame, will the resulting material be easy to machine/file to spec?

·
Premium Member
14,828 Posts
thank you. If I do decide to TIG weld the frame, will the resulting material be easy to machine/file to spec?
Yes, either ER80 preferred, or ER70 a more common steel rod, will be easy to file and finish.

LOG

61 - 67 of 67 Posts