1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m getting ready to purchase my first “semi-custom”, and these forums have provided a massive amount of information and opinions to digest. While researching the web sites of Brown, Wilson and Baer, I noticed that only Brown did not make any statement on accuracy, other than “Our handguns achieve the accuracy potential of the ammo at 50 yards”.

I know that handguns from any one of these manufacturers will shoot beyond my capabilities, but inherent accuracy is also important to me. Has anyone had any positive or negative comments about accuracy out of the Brown’s (I’m looking first at the Executive Carry) as compared to a similar Wilson or Les Baer?

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have an Executive Carry and love it. Workmanship is superb and the accuracy is much better than anything my feeble old eyes and shaky hands can achieve. Goes bang every time. Love the bobtail and I preferred the checkering to the scales of the Kobra Carry. Hard to go wrong with any of them, but I love my Brown. I did have one issue that Brown took care of without a problem - my EC is stainless and my slide stop notch started peening after about 1000 rounds. Brown took it back and although I haven't fired another 1000 rounds yet, I don't see any sign of it happening again.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Ed Brown guns are good, but they have no garuntee, and that leaves Brown a lot of leeway to make his guns really loose, which he sometimes does. They're usually very good guns, but if Ed Brown himself won't give you a garuntee that they'll be accurate, I sure as hell am not going to.

Wilson does have a garuntee, 1" at 25 yards which comes out to about 3" at 50 yards. Superbly accurate.

With Baer you have your choice of accuracy garuntees, either 3" or 1.5" at 50 yards (although the SRP comes standard with a 2.5" at 50 yard garuntee). These are probably the most accurate the industry has to offer.

Honestly, unless you're going to be shooing off of a ransom rest (and I doubt that), you'll never be able to outshoot either a Wilson or a Baer. There's just no way. You'll never even notice the difference, I'll bet. Honestly, you probably wont ever notice the difference between a Baer, a Wilson and a Brown, shooting offhand.

You're looking into your first semi-custom? I wouldn't look much further than a Baer TRS or a Wilson CQB, honestly, but if you really want to step it up, I'd go for an SRP or a CQB Elite. Brown guns are spectacular but in my opinion they just fall short of Wilson and Baer.

·
Premium Member
20,402 Posts
I had a Baer TRS. It was the tightest pistol I've ever held. Almost took two guys to rack the slide. They build them tight for accuracy, but it never did loosen up. It went away. My Wilson Protector is much smoother and is super accurate. Both my Browns are looser, but far from sloppy, and that's the way I like it for defensive carry. I've had all three brands, sold the TRS. The Wilson gets little use, mainly just range time. The Ed Brown Kobra Carry is the one I stake my life on.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Baer, Brown, and Wilson is about as close to "win win" as you are going to find.

When I factor in all of the features that I am looking for in a 1911 pistol, I favor the Ed Brown.

If you get the opportunity try to shoot all 3 brands. I think that you will find there is not a significant difference.

·
Premium Member
20,402 Posts
Gotta figure in the exponent factor.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Accuracy Potential

What Brown means when he says his guns will shoot to the potential of the ammo is that if the ammo is capable of 1" at 25 yards, his guns will shoot it.

There are several articles by that are good reference material and one by Charles Petty pretty much resulted in his putting the 3 side by side and shooting hundreds of rounds of ammo in a machine rest and seeing less than 1/8" difference. The same holds true for warranty, if you have a problem, these guys are going to take care of it (period).

I was agonizing the same question a while ago and I asked a man with 70+ years of professional shooting experience and more awards than anyone I know of (that is still living). He explained it like this; When you talk about guys like this (Baer, Brown, Wilson), you are comparing guys that are all about quality and have been for many years. The differences are very subtle and you can't really go wrong with which ever one you buy first.

I'd suggest you look at each one, handle them, and pick what feels the best. Then buy the one of each as you'll find things to love with each one.

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
I own one from each of the mentioned mfgs & any of the three can shoot better than I can. In fact, lately, a "sling shot" would be more in line of what I need to carry.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I have a Les Baer Monolith, a few Wilson Combat's CQB and Protector models - and an Ed Brown Kobra carry.

They are all very good guns / and they are all accurate - although I think Wilson Combat is probably the best of the bunch. I also think the customer service at Wilson is the best of the bunch although Ed Brown is not bad.

The fit and finish on my Baer is not what I expected / mine has the T chrome ( 2 tone finish ) and especially the blued parts are real soft and easy to scratch - but the gun shoots very well. In general, I think Baer makes his guns too tight - tight is good - but his are excessive in my opinion - and I'm not a fan of the short guide rod which he insists on using. His lead time can be pretty long as well ( 6 - 9 months often on a new order) regardless of what your dealer tells you. Because of the long lead time, I would not recommend you order a Baer - but find one in inventory somewhere - so you don't have to wait if you can find what you really want. My Baer had an extensive break in period before it ran flawlessly - close to 1,000 rounds at least - and that aggraveted me ( and since it was so tight / getting it apart for cleaning all the time was an adventure ...). Its about 3 years old now - and its still tight - but tolerable now.

I like all stainless guns - but if you don't like stainless - go with the Armor Tuff finish on the Wilson's, its a very hard finish and very durable. In Wilson Combat - I especially like the Protector full size model in all stainless. I have 2 Protector models now - one in .40 S&W and one in 9mm - and I'll add one in .45 acp this year as my next purchase ( after I pay the tax man in the spring ...). All of the Wilson's I have have performed flawlessly right out of the box / its hard for me not to continue going back there. I've had some friends that used Wilson Combat to do their smith work on Kimber's, etc and they were priced fairly, quick and thorough.

Ed Brown's guns are flawless on fit and finish - but in hindsight, I don't care for the shorter frame as much / and the 7 round mags. The Kobra or Kobra carry is still a very good gun / and I really have no complaints on the weapon. It was kind of an impulse buy at the time - and frankly I don't shoot it too often.

I doubt you would be unhappy with any of the 3 - especially in terms of accuracy - but to my knowledge Brown is the only one of the 3 that will not give you a guarantee / but I'm not sure it matters frankly. Esthetics and fit and finish are up to your eyes ......and what you want ......but look at as many of their guns as you can before you make up your mind / and talk to people at the range that are shooting them / see what they like or don't like about their guns.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Actually, 1" at 25 yards does equate to 2" at 50 yards. Since the discussion is on the inherent mechanical accuracy, there is no 'allowance' for shooter error.

I have never seen accuracy specs on 45 ammo, but if the 1.5" guarantee on the Les Baer much be getting close to the ammo limit. Any of them will shoot better than they can be held.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Accuracy as follows, Baer, Wilson and last Brown. You can tell the accuracy by the tightness on how the barrel is fitted to the barrel bushing. Baer's are more difficult to take apart, Wilson are just right and the Brown, I felt could have been fitted tighter. The barrel bushing will slide right off the barrel with the two Browns I owned. The Brown can be ordered with a bobtail (Kobra)without paying the extra premium for a Wilson and none available for the Baer. They are all fine manufacturers.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
I've got two Baer PII's (both with 1.5"@50), a Wilson Classic, and an Ed Brown Exec. Target.

They are all very accurate. I am lucky enough to have acquired some shooting skill, and can shoot these guns up to their ability. The one I would pull out of the bag for a quick match at the range would be one of the PII's. They are just a little (very little) more accurate that the other two. The Ed Brown Exec Target is second - but I think it is better built than the Baers. The Wilson is very accurate also, but, it's sights are adj night sights and are not the best at bull's eye accuracy at a distance. I just can't get my eye to focus on the Wilson front sight like I should. I'll bet if I could put a serated front sight and Bomar's on the back - It would be right up there with the other two brands. The Wilson is well built also - about equal to the Brown.

·
Premium Member
20,402 Posts
Good advise all, but you really need to consider the pistol's intended use. Huge difference what target shooters want and defensive carriers need!

·
Banned
721 Posts
The best of the fighting hanguns is the Brown, hands down.

If you want a bullseye gun, get a Baer. Wilson can't touch Brown in quality or fit, I've compared many.

For me, a Brown Kobra Carry is on my side daily. If you want traditional 1911 reliability coupled with exceptional quality, Brown is your only option.

·
Premium Member
9,375 Posts
I.

Ed Brown's guns are flawless on fit and finish - but in hindsight, I don't care for the shorter frame as much / and the 7 round mags. .

All of Ed Brown's 1911s are GI/Commander grip-size and accept 8 round mags.

Regards,
Greyson

·
Registered
75 Posts
An accuracy guarantee seems like a marketing contrivance to me. In any case, I didn't give the issue a second (or first) thought when I purchased my Ed Brown.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thanks Greyson - I was wondering about the 7 or 8 rd mag on the Browns.

twomarks

1 - 20 of 27 Posts