1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why doesn't Wilson send a target with a gun that measures 1" or less at 25 yards like their accuracy guarantee claims. When I received my Marvel conversion it had a group that measured .835" at 50 yards. I'm not trying to slam Wilson but one hole groups are a lot easier to get at 15 yards than 25 yards. I would like to see how well my CQB shoots and I would like to have something to work up to. Even I can shoot small groups at 15 yards. Also has anyone sent their gun back claiming it would not shoot 1" at 25 yards and had Wilson prove it's accuracy?

Thanks for your replys,
Jim

·
Registered
462 Posts
That 1" at 25 yards accuracy guarantee is only valid when fired from a Ransom rest with ammunition listed by Wilson Combat.

I don't know very many people who have a Ransom rest laying around.

I also don't know of anybody who ran their Wilson Combat in a Ransom rest and challenged the accuracy guarantee. My guess is that you're going to have to back it up with your test target detailing your Ransom rest and ammo setup.

Sounds like a big waste of time to me. They say it shoots 1" or less at 25 yards, I'm inclined to believe it based on Wilson Combat pistols fit, function, and quality. I don't really care about the test target. :rolleyes:

The real question is: How does the pistol work for you? Can you outshoot the pistol? I'd say most can't do it.

·
Banned
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have shot other guns more accuratly than my CQB. I am fairly new to 1911's (I have shot around 5000 rounds through different 1911's). I can shoot my Sig 226 9mm and the Marvel conversion better. Also my friend has a Kimber that has a Bar-Sto barrel installed that I can seem to shoot better. I just don't know if I need more practice with a 1911 or if my CQB isn't as accurate as claimed. I usually shoot 30,000 rounds a year with a .22 and 9mm. Hopefully my Marvel conversion will help my CQB shooting skills.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I would say that if you haven't fired 45s a lot, practice wouldn't be a bad idea. Definitely, the .22 Marvel conversion should help improve your general trigger control.

Recoil is a lot different between .22, 9mm, and 45ACP. If you're anticipating the recoil, this will also cause some problems.

I'd say continue shooting the CQB and see what develops. If you can, have a friend or someone experienced in 45s shoot it to gage general accuracy.

Good Luck.:)

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
When I bought my two Wilson's I was told by the salesman at the factory that they do not use a Ransom rest when test shooting the targets they include with the guns. He said the guy sits with elbows resting on the bench -- he also added "he's very good". Both my Wilsons are more accurate than I am -- or anyone else that has shot them.

·
Registered
462 Posts
True, the test targets are not Ransom rested. Rather they are shot by Wilson Combat employees at a range of 15 Yards with handloads.

Regarding the "Accuracy Guarantee", this is a quote from their website:

Handguns:
1 inch or 1.5 inch accuracy guarantees are based on the pistol's ability to place 5 consecutive shots (center to center) into the guaranteed group size from a distance of 25 yards when fired from a Ransom machine rest by at least one of the following ammunition types:

Federal Classic 45D 230 gr. JHP
Federal Hydra-Shok 230 gr. JHP
Hornady 200gr. XTP
Black Hills 230 gr. XTP
Winchester SXT 230 gr. JHP

Handloads:
6.4 gr. VihtaVuori N320, Nosler 185gr JHP
6.3 gr. VihtaVuori N320, Hornady 200 gr. XTP

Don't confuse the "Accuracy Guarantee" (1" or less at 25 Yards) with the test targets shot at 15 Yards provided by Wilson Combat with their pistols.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Here's a target shot with my CQB using a Ransom Rest.

No, it's not a nice tight 1" group but, I won't be sending the pistol back to Wilson with a complaint either.

The load used was as near to the load that Wilson listed with my pistol. I used a Laser Cast 200 gr. SWC, which I've found very accurate, instead of an H&G #68. Wilson did not list the case used as far as I recall.

I've not tested the load at 25 yds. yet nor have I used any of the other loads listed by Wilson as being capable of the accuracy guarantee of 1.0" or 1.5".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts