1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently completed a S.A. 1911 in 9mm using a Nowlin match barrel. I have the loads I worked up for my FEG Hi Power clone, but in the 1911 they only will do about 2" from a machine rest. I was hoping to find an accurate load without going through the entire process of testing every bullet and every powder. Any help?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I use federal primers and 3.6-3.8 depending on the day of unique powder out of my springer 9mm 1911 target model with a (oal of 1.124 I THINK), seems to do ok but still not as good as my stock HK USP.

Scott

·
Registered
21,912 Posts
2" at what range? If at 50 yards it is great, if at 25 it is better than the magazine writers would have you believe.

What bullet?
I have gotten best accuracy from Sierra 124 JHP and a moderate load of N340. The only FMJ I had to shoot well in 9mm was the unfortunately discontinued Nosler.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The range was 25yds, the load was 6.2gr. of HS6 behind a Winchester 147gr. JHP ( 950 fps ), 115 gr. Win. JHP with 7.0 HS6 gave the same accuracy. I have recently started using V.V. powders, 6.1 of N340 behind a .45 cal Win. 230 gr. JHP averaged groups under an inch ( .78" ) from the same rest and distance in a S.A. Milspec with a Kart barrel. I was hoping for similar results in 9mm.

·
Registered
33 Posts
jlmurphy,
I have the same dilema. I recently got a Springfield 6 inch PPC 1911. And have been trying to find a accurate 50 yard load. So far, what I found and is accurate for me out to 50 yards is 4.2 grains of WSF (Winchester Super Field) with a 147 grain West Coast Platted Bullet (now extreme bullet company). My OAL is 1.150.
I'm getting 1.5 inch to 2 inch groups with this load. I tried using WW231 but it was not accurate with the 147 Bullets.

I found that a 115 grain plated bullet using 4.4 grains of 231 grouped excellent at 25 yds. But it did not group at 50. Hope this helps and let me know if you come up with somthing accurate. I'm always looking for an accurate 50 yd load. Thanks, Paul

·
Registered
921 Posts
5.9gr power pistol w/ zero 147gr JHP or
4.0gr unique w/zero 147gr JHP

Both at about 1.145"

Haven't tried in a 1911, but it works great in my glocks, and HK PSP

·
Registered
15,320 Posts
9mm

Accurate powders include: 3N37, WAP (now Ramshot Silhouette; well, real close), HS6, Unique, Power Pistol.

New case, sized.

CCI500.

MUST use an 'accurate' bullet for ultra-tight groups; I use-n-prefer Hornady.

My most accurate 9 is my Nowlin-barreled (thank you, Mr. Cogan) Witness; I haven't (yet) re-barreled my new-to-me Springfield 1911.

·
Registered
484 Posts
try this....

First, load the bullet as long as you can fit in your chamber safely, and will fit in the magazine, out to 1.110 to 1.180. Every gun and chamber is different
Second, use premium jacketed bullets, usually JHPS work best. Now I will say that my lead bullet guy does a helluva job on his, and I have targets from 50yds with a lead 122 LFP doing 2inches, so lead can and will shoot, but If money is on the line you need to weigh them all before loading. It is a crap shoot shooting plated bullets for accuracy. I have already pulled my hair out doing that. Some work, some dont depending on the powder, then it varies from gun to gun...I recommend Sierra, Hornady, and Zero for 50yd accuracy.
Good powders would be WSF, Titegroup, VV-320, W231, Power Pistol, and VV330. The 9x19 along with the .40 is capable of X-ring accuracy at 50yds as long as you load your ammo to the gun you are using. It takes a lot of time and experimentation but keep at it and keep a journal so you dont have to reinvent the wheel again with an new gun in the future. You might already have a load that will shoot by loading some of it up and trying it.
I hope some of this helps, Good luck!(yeah, I am planning on going to Bianchi cup this year.....:biglaugh:
DougC

·
Banned
2,929 Posts
I cast the H&G 124 gr lead boolit and have found 4.7 gr of Unique to be quite accurate in all my 9MM's with no leading. I load them to 1.110 OAL and get 1145 fps out of my Trojan. Please note I tired going to 5 gr Unique with lead bullets cast from wheelweights and water quenched and experienced severe leading. As stated none at 4.7 gr Unique.

For Hornady Enclosed boolits 125 gr, 6 gr of Unique, which is a compressed load is accurate and flat shooting - thanks Mr. Camp. OAL 1.150. 1214 FPS
A truncated plated boolit similar to the H&G from a company in Quebec gave me 1250 fps using the same load. Accuracy was very good out to 25 yards. I don't shoot beyond that so cannot comment further.

Now starting to play with 231 in this caliber but have formed no opinons as yet.

Stay Safe

All loads shot with Win SPP and Win brass.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Good 9mm load

Well, my STI Targetmaster turned out to be pretty picky, but lotsa Ransom Resting helped. Here's what really works in my gun:
Federal brass with Fed primers. 5.7 grains of VV 3N37 and a Montana Gold 115 JHP. If you do some measurin' you'll find that the Montana Gold is a pretty good copy of the Hornady 115 XTP. Great bullet at a great price. This load averaged .610 at 25 yds(6 shot groups), and 2.18 at 50. Very consistant, pretty much unaffected by temperature and extremely clean burning. I tested 4 diff powders and a bunch of bullets and this was by far the winner. The VV powder is expensive, but worth it.
Of course, every gun is different. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
14,902 Posts
Mike,
Have you chrono'd your 5.7 gr VV 3N37 w/115gr Montana Gold JHP? I'd be interested in knowing the velocity.

And, to address the original question, the most accurate 9mm load I've found is 6.2gr Power Pistol with 115gr Hornady XTP. (About 1225 fps)

Good shooting....Rod.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I shoot a Colt that was Wilsonized in the 80's.

A load I found that works well in the Colt, a Sig and a Glock is 115g Hornady XTP over 6.6g of HS6.

I shoot a lot of 147g LaserCast lead bullets in the Colt, a very good lite target load with a 10lb spring is the 147g lead bullet over 3.2g VV N320. This is a very accurate, soft shooting Bullseye load.

I bought some 147g Remington Match bullets and some 124g Hornady FMJ's for a reasonable price at Midway.
Try book loads of HS6.

I've messed with different COL's over the years and now load all my 9's to 1.1"

·
Registered
196 Posts
9mm load

Rod,
Haven't chrono'd it yet, due to the fact that I Ransom rested 22 groups of the load. Everywhere from 81 degrees to 47, on the last day I tested. If a load groups consistantly good, I really don't need to see the velocity. I'm guessing it runs about 1150 or so in my 6" bbl.
You really oughtta try the Montana Gold 115 JHP. I mic'd it and a Horn 115 XTP and I'm telling 'ya....they're awfully close. No measurable diff in group size between the two, and the MG's are so cheap it's almost funny.

·
Registered
757 Posts
jlmurphy said:
I have recently completed a S.A. 1911 in 9mm using a Nowlin match barrel. I have the loads I worked up for my FEG Hi Power clone, but in the 1911 they only will do about 2" from a machine rest. I was hoping to find an accurate load without going through the entire process of testing every bullet and every powder. Any help?

Each and every gun and barrel is a law unto itself. The load that may give you 1"/100 yard groups in your highpoint or Lorcin may keyhole in your Les Baer Custom.

You may not have to start over however. Load several rounds at .2 grain intervals above and below your current accurate load. Somewhere a few tenths up or down will be your 'sweet spot'. If that does not work, try a heavier bullet. As a GENERAL rule, heavier jacketed bullets will produce better accuracy in 9mm handguns. Chronograph if possible and always keep an eye out for pressure signals.

If you are shooting trap to make money or handloading to save money, you will die an embittered old man. The joy of accumulating thousands of dollars of reloading equipment and endless tinkering is working up super accurate loads for YOUR pistol using different powder/bullet combinations.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Accuracy update

In an effort to improve the accuracy of my S.A. Loaded fitted with a Nowlin match 9mm barrel, I assembled 115gr. and 147gr. JHP bullets from Win., Rem., Hornady, and Sierra. Using midrange loads of V.V. N320 and N340, I fired four five shot groups of each from a machine rest through a chronograph to paper at 25 yds. The clear winner was the Hornady 115gr. JHP averaging about 1.5", with Win. and Sierra at about 2". None of the 147gr. bullets were accurate with the exception of occasional Hornady groups. Overall I am not that impressed with this level of accuracy, I will probably install a Kart barrel and try again.

·
Registered
484 Posts
jlmurphy, been there!

I HAD a Recent manufacture Nowlin in my 5in 9x19. It wouldnt shoot anything well at 50yds. I tried numerous loads from Bianchi shooters that were known loads with Sierra and xtps. from a ransom and on bags. I fit a Schuman classic my self, and the same loads went to 3in or better at 50yds. Not much more to add. Good luck. The only thing you might try is trying some .356 super bullets, and loading them long. DougC

1 - 17 of 17 Posts