1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a pound can of Accurate #5, ( only pistol powder I could find at the time) I tried it in my 45 and didn't care for it so I thought I might use it up in my 9's and make my Unique go farther. So I'll be using a Lee 125gr. TL RN cast, anyone have a favorite #5 load with a 125gr. cast.

·
Super Moderator
14,838 Posts
Don't think I've ever tried it in 9mm, but it's a super powder for 45acp. I find it strange you didn't like it. What was the problem?

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I started with a mid range load and then tried lowering my charge to beginning load. Just seemed to me like there was a lot more noise, flash and recoil than same velocity loads using Unique. I didn't think it did any wonders in the accuracy out of my Commander either, so when I found another 5 lbs of Unique I went back to that. I thought I might try my luck with it in 9mm instead of storing it for emergency powder.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
most mid range powders will perform best at the upper end of the scale vs reduced loads.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
With the 9x19, best accuracy is generally achieved with powders that are slower than AA5 (see Power Pistol). With .45 Auto, best accuracy is generally achieved with powders faster than AA5 (see Bullseye). With .40 S&W, best accuracy is generally achieved with AA5 over faster or slower powders.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I couldn't find a can of 231 or Unique for at least six months and was getting so low I thought I'd try this #5 with cast bullets. With the 45acp I was trying to find a load I liked in the factory or mil spec velocity range, didn't like the #5, so if I can't find a load I like for the 9's I'll leave it in the powder safe for emergency use next time the world goes dry. Or I'll pick up some jacketed bullets some day and try again.

·
Registered
8,277 Posts
125 gr. cast bullet 9mm load with AA#5

I get good accuracy and reliability with 5.6 gr. of AA#5 for my 9mm guns with Kart barrels when using 125 gr. cast bullets. This is a light load and travels about 1030-1040 fps out of my 9mm 1911 guns. I use a 19# mainspring and a 10# recoil spring. In the past, I used this load for my IDPA practice, but AA#5 became difficult to get, so I switched to Tite Group. I use 124 gr. Prec. Delta JHP for matches.

·
Registered
9,035 Posts
Don't do 9mm but I've had good success with AA#5 in the upper charge ranges in .38Spl, .357 Mag w/lead bullets and .45 with both lead and jacketed. It seems pretty dirty in reduced charges and definitely performs better at the upper charge weights.

·
Registered
14,933 Posts
#5 is my favorite pistol powder, for .45acp and 9mm. I don't load lead, and I don't load light loads.

Just got in 16# of HP38. Will probably use it mostly for loading 124s subsonically. Got a deal on 5# of VV 3N38; will use that for subsonic 147s.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I can't post my load as its above published charge but my oal is quite long (worked up the load in my guns). Works well for 9mm, and I use AA2 for target 45acp.

·
Registered
14,933 Posts
I can't post my load as its above published charge but my oal is quite long (worked up the load in my guns). Works well for 9mm, and I use AA2 for target 45acp.
Just curious: Is your 9mm load heavier than +p load data?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Just curious: Is your 9mm load heavier than +p load data?
I'm not too sure to be honest... I'll have to check the manual. I know I was at the top end of the previous manual data, which is now quite a bit above the latest load data.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts