1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at 2 Colt 1911s previously used in competition:

Hardball: Colt frame (Series 70?), Colt National Match slide, barrel and barrel bushing. "kensights" adj. sights.

Wadcutter: Colt (GI, commercial) frame and slide, National Match barrel and bushing, Bomar adj. sights.

Both are ~30 years old and look like it - minor surface scratches and fair amount of holster wear. No rust or pitting. Everything is tight on both.

Seller is asking $600 each.

I'd like these, but at a price I could resell without losing my shorts.

I'd appreciate any thoughts regarding the wisdom of purchasing either or both, realizing the paucity of info I've given.

These wouldn't be my first Colt 1911s, and I believe they are solid pistols.

Thanks in advance!

Steve in Topeka

·
Registered
734 Posts
IF both were in good shape and good working order ... I'd offer them $1075.00 for BOTH guns and see what they say!

I am no gun dealer and just go on what I see in the stores and gun shows but I feel that at $600. each you are not getting ripped off but on the same token you are not getting a super great deal either.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, partner. That's the sort of advice I'm looking for.

Additional advice from others appreciated!

Steve in Topeka

·
Registered
498 Posts
I think if your intent is to buy and resell with the idea of making money, the price may be slightly high on them. If buying as keepers/shooters, I think those are reasonable prices.

Of course, tough to say with the little info you've given. Accurized guns generally fall into the category of 'modified' guns and unless built by a 'name' gunsmith don't really bring much of a premium if any.

If you decide to buy them, ask the seller to break them down for you so you can inspect them. When he does so (if he won't, move on) watch carefully how he takes the barrel out. On a properly fitted barrel bushing, it'll require a wrench to remove, and more importantly, the slide should be slightly retracted so as to give some clearance. The bushings are so closely fitted that their a virtual zero clearance fit to the barrel.

·
Registered
22,016 Posts
I don't know how the prices are running these days, but if they have a known gunsmith's name on them, or military match armorer's markings, they are probably a good deal. If they are nameless, they might be better shooters than investments.

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
Thread moved to the correct forum out of courtesy. Future threads found to be in the wrong section of the board will be deleted.

MW

·
Registered
788 Posts
paucity

Hey jayhawk86! Ten points for word usage!:rock:

Seriously,I'd agree with Jim Watson's take on those pistols and to expound a bit,I'd leave them sit for anything over about $500 each if you are looking to make money on them,especially if you plan to sell them on the 'net.

As mentioned there is the fact they have been modified and used and that detracts heavily from their cash worth even being that they are Colt (or mostly Colt).

With some provenance (got that word from Antiques Roadshow :D ) that a "name" gunsmith from the past had worked on them,the price could increase significantly but the work would have to be original without further tinkering by anyone else.

I believe at the price I mentioned you wouldn't get "hurt" either way if you kept them or sold 'em off later.

Some pictures might get you some advice from an Expert-which I am not- I am just an experienced money loser on pistols.:confused:

·
Registered
7,838 Posts
I think if your intent is to buy and resell with the idea of making money, the price may be slightly high on them.
I believe the ATF might frown upon that thought.

As mentioned there is the fact they have been modified and used and that detracts heavily from their cash worth even being that they are Colt (or mostly Colt).
I agree

With some provenance (got that word from Antiques Roadshow ) that a "name" gunsmith from the past had worked on them,the price could increase significantly but the work would have to be original without further tinkering by anyone else.
Perhaps, but only if original work order is present and /or rollmark/engraved proof is present.....again, I say Perhaps...it is not a given.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Pistols such as these are of value mostly to serious shooters. I would not see these as being good for resale at the price you state. You state, also, that you have owned other Colts so you are not a novice. For me to pay $600 each I would have to need accurized pistols and would want to test shoot them before buying. A top competitive gun (with match ammo or handloads) should shoot 1" groups at 25 yds and 2" groups at 50 yards. If you don't need this accuracy or the guns are too far away from this, the $600 is too much. Their value lies in their accuracy and finding a buyer who wants/needs this accuracy. Bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts