1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone still having trouble with Act-Mag/Novak magazines cracking. I know that they used to have a problem with the feed lips cracking slightly. I have used them in all of my 1911's, with no problems.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,297 Posts
Two weeks ago, I would have said no. I bought two Novak's-marked mags, just over a year ago, and with a few hundred rounds through each, was very pleased. However, one of mine has developed a tiny crack. While I understand Novak's will stand behind them, I'd rather have a mag that didn't crack. I'm climbing on the Checkmate bandwagon. They have a new 8-round mag that's flush-fit, with a number of features unavailable on any other 8-round mag.

·
Registered
38 Posts
This is the reason Nighthawk Custom is moving away from this magazine and adopting a new stainless steel mag that they are supposedly unveiling at the upcoming SHOT Show in Las Vegas.

I decided to go with the new dedicated 8 round Wilson ETMs for daily carry. I have several of these magazines with over a thousand rounds through them in the past couple of months and have not had a single issue. They seat easily, drop out perfectly every time, load easily and are extremely well built. They are using a heavier gauge stainless steel with the ETMs than with previous Wilson magazines so I wouldn't foresee cracking problems in the future.

Wilson's pedigree is about as good as it gets and they will stand by their magazines for life should anything ever go wrong with them. I did seriously consider the Checkmates until I started reading about some of the issues the new 8 round flat bottom mags are experiencing. Reliability is everything to me and I honestly believe for a 7 or 8 round magazine you can't get better than the ETMs.....JMHO.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,297 Posts
I do not like the plastic follower, and consider that the weak link in the Wilson mag. There was nothing really wrong with the previous tube, basepad, etc. that needed fixing, so I'd say the new Elite is better, but still flawed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The Wilson ETM shouldn't really be compared to the 47Ds as this new magazine was designed from the floor up to be a truly dedicated 8 round magazine. They extended the tube length slightly and re-engineered the magazine spring where the bottom of the spring tapers down to a narrower presence in order to allow proper compression that accommodates the extra round. In the past most people who are concerned with reliability always loaded 7 cartridges into their 8 round magazines (JM Browning knew what he was doing). With the newly designed ETMs a person can now carry 8+1 rounds of 45 ACP with extreme reliability, albeit not with a flat base pad.

Regarding the plastic follower that Wilson employs, this seems to be a "negative" that is often mentioned, but has been an effective design that has proven reliable for decades. I'm sure Wilson would have changed the composition years ago if it proved problematic to any notable level.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes! I have a bunch of these as they came with my S&W and purchased extras. I sent 3 back with cracks and now I have a few more cracking. When then get worse they won't drop freely. I'm dumping them and switching to Chip or Wilsons.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts