1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently purchased a Rock Island Armory mil-spec and it came with a blued eight round magazine with "ACT" (made in Italy) as the brand. It works great in my Rock and I would like to get some more, but I cannot seem to find anyone who sells them. Are they hard to find? Are they expensive? My Rock does not like Kimber 7 round factory mags, but does work well with the 8rd Kim-Pro Tac mags (they're just so darn expensive, and money is tight all around)

Anyone?
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, traceyballard. Your timely response was much appreciated!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Brownells has them. Page 85 in Catalog #62. Bottom left. $17.45 for the Officers 6 round, $19.95 for the 8 round standard and $26.75 for the Para 14.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I might go with dcsans advice on this one. $17.95 for Kim Pro Tac mags at that website he posted a link to. I am headed over there now...anybody wanna come with me?

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
I like the KimPro Tac mags too. Yeah,$17.95(the Armory) sounds good;but with $12.90 shipping,one mag turns out to be over $30.

Doesn't "Wolf" (the spring guy) sell ACT mags?

·
Registered
597 Posts
I run ACT mags and they function flawlessly in my Brown. ACT magazines are also sold as "Novak" magazines. If you abuse your mags I'd recommend paying a few extra dollars up-front for the Novaks because they provide a better warranty than ACT. Either way you can't go wrong if you've found them to work as well in your pistol as they do in mine.

http://secure.netsolhost.com/484978...Y&Store_Code=ricekintama&Category_Code=novmag

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I like the mag body and follower on the ACT, and I bought 4 or so a year or 2 ago. I've recently become suspicious of them, have had the odd FTF while using an ACT mag.

·
Premium Member
9,610 Posts
S&W1911s come factory equipped with Novak/ACT mags and some are stamped with S&W logo. i prefer Ed Brown8 packs, Kimprotags and Wilson47ds myself.

·
Registered
151 Posts
ACT 8rd 1911 Magazines

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back in Oct. I purchased a RIA 1911 & it came with a Novak 8 rd magazine. When I got it home I just put it in the safe for a couple weeks. I got it out to clean it before taking it to the range. I saw what I at first thought was a scratch on the polymer floor plate. Upon closer examination I discovered that the floor plate was cracked all the way through.

I contacted Novak about a replacement floor plate and was told that Armscor didn't get their mags from them so I would have to contact Armscor. To their credit Armscor didn't replace the floor plate but did send a brand new replacement magazine. However, I now have a perfectly good brand new magazine with a cracked base plate. A short time later I ascertained that Novak magazines are made in Italy by ACT Magazines. They also manufacture OEM mags for Taurus, Beretta, Sig Sauer,Kimber, Paraordinance, & Metro Arms.

I contacted ACT about purchasing two floor plates (1 to replace the broken one & one for a spare) and waited two weeks & emailed them again. They forwarded that 2nd email to their US distributor, Precision Sales Int. Someone from that company phoned me on Dec. 14th and said they were sending me two floor plates. It has been 28 days since that phone contact and I still do not have the floor plates that I was willing to buy. I have sent them emails twice since then. They do not reply to emails. I've tried to be patient & give them the benefit of the doubt. Some companies shut down for inventory over the Christmas holiday. + they may be getting ready for the Shot Show. But I feel they've had more than enough time to drop two little base pads in a bubble pack envelope, stick a couple stamps on it & drop it in a mailbox on the way to lunch or home from work.

They may make a great product. I don't know. I've had very little experience with their magazines. But their customer service is definately lacking. Poor customer service will eventually kill any business over time.

One thing I did learn from the PSI rep during the phone conversation is that the polymer floor plates tend to get dried out over time and are subject to cracking if dropped on a hard surface. About once a year they should be removed from the magazine & placed in near boiling water for an hour and a half.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have some act mags and they work in my RIA and in the Taurus I sold. But would not work in my Les Baer TRC There was some slop and the rounds would nosedive on the ramp unless you supported the mag from below pushing it up slightly. In looking at the mags I noticed that the mag catch hole is twice as big as the holes in my Wilson 47 and Colt mags. So they don't impress me.

·
Premium Member
2,530 Posts
Sig switched last year from ACT mag to another company. I don't remember the name off the top. That said I have few ACT mags and they have worked flawlessly, better than the McCormick mags I have.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have 10 of the Novak/ACT mags for my SIG 220, but for my 1911's, I only have Wilson's. Now that being said, seeing the quality of the ACT/Novak mags for my P220, I would not hesitate to buy them for my 1911 if I was looking for mags for a 1911.

·
Premium Member
9,375 Posts
I run ACT mags and they function flawlessly in my Brown. ACT magazines are also sold as "Novak" magazines. If you abuse your mags I'd recommend paying a few extra dollars up-front for the Novaks because they provide a better warranty than ACT. Either way you can't go wrong if you've found them to work as well in your pistol as they do in mine.

http://secure.netsolhost.com/484978...Y&Store_Code=ricekintama&Category_Code=novmag
HUGE +1 on this.

HUGE

Novak warranties their roll-marked ACT mags. If you mess one up, they will replace it. I buy all my ACTs through them.

Regards,
Greyson

·
Registered
151 Posts
Well the magazine floor plates arrived in the mail today. I couldn't believe it as I actually had given up hope of ever getting them, after 2 1/2 months.

·
Registered
23 Posts
ACT Mag

I bought a RIA with the mag you have. I don't use it because I am using the RIA for Wild Bunch which does not allow the plastic extended base plate. I bought other mags that work. If you are interested, PM me and I will make you a good deal on the ACT mag. Brand new.

John

1 - 20 of 23 Posts