1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to do a trigger job on my new to me Delta Elite. I have looked over Dane Burns post on fitting the trigger, and Blindhoggs site on sear work.

I got looking at trigger kits ( action trigger kits ). I notice Ed Brown a hammer and sear prefit, and Nowlin has a kit complete. My question is not about the quality of these parts as they are both good bits and pieces but are they really almost drop in. From reading the advertising these are both preground and would seem the only a very fine stone to polish.

I am a eternal skeptic and this sounds almost to good to be true. Has anyone else tried dropping in these parts?

·
Banned
597 Posts
C&S makes several drop-in kits too. From what I've read the Nowlin parts are MIM, so I've been looking at the C&S kits.

I like the sound of the Tactical II kit
C&S Kits

nowlin kits

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Yes, some parts will drop in, others won't. Even if they do drop in, they may not be optimally fitted for your pistol. You may end up with a worse trigger than what you have, even if the parts do drop in.

Also note - if you do drop in a new sear, bet on having to fit a new thumb safety. And chances are, a new thumb safety will not be a drop in part - you have to fit it to the sear.

·
Banned
597 Posts
OK, so they may require some fitting, but is the cost of the kit more than the seperate cost of the individual parts? You get a hammer, sear, disconnector, sear spring, and hammer spring for $140 in the case of the Tactical II kit, assuming you're not getting dealer pricing from Brownells. Individual parts from Brownells/C&S
$45 tactical hammer ($60 for tactical II)
$26 sear
$22 disconnector

Springs cost next to nothing, so that makes it look like it's not a very good deal.
I was quoted a price of $150 for a hammer, sear,and trigger as well as the cost to fit them by a 'smith from this very board.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I put a Chip McCormick hammer, sear and disconnector in a Kimber. CMC parts are mim, buy they're relatively inexpensive and they are advertised as Easy Fit - they were too, only very minor stoning on the sear and I have an excellent trigger that has lasted several thousand rounds.

Shane45 is right - I had to fit a thumb saftey - I used a CMC.

Since CMC parts are about 1/2 the price of many other non mim parts you're not out a whole lot if you mess up the fitting - that was my rationale.

Good luck with whatever you go with - Art

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the information

I just put a new thumb safety on this weekend, that is pretty much a snap. My issue is really finding a good smith to do a trigger job quickly. Most of the smiths I want to have work on my pistols are booked up and it is a couple of months turn around
( I'm picky)

I would tackle this job as long as I got the sear jig and stones, and no I didn't figure I was saving any money by the time I bought the tooling, just the time, and the ability to say I did it myself.

Shane: I kind of figured there was no free lunches on this and the right way to go was do it right the first time.

Thanks for the input.

One last question though is how much difference is there between a series 70 and a series 80 hammer? Most of the hammers I liked said Series 70 only.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I used the Nowlin Kit, and am very pleased. The Nowlin Kit itself required no work, and it has a superb trigger pull, my guess is about 4 lb or less, absolutely no creep. It was put on a bare frame, and I had to do a lot of work on a King's safety.

Richard

·
Registered
53 Posts
I recently installed a Tactical Match kit from C&S on my Kimber..
(Classic Custom Series I)

Love it.. Dropped right in.. 4.5lb pull on my RCBS guage.. NO creep.. I did have to re-fit the thumb safety.

Teddy Jacobsen also sells an "upgrade kit" with a hammer, sear, disconnector, searspring, mainspring and pins, all worked over by him.. It is priced pretty competitively.. http://www.actionsbyt.com/descriptions/act00.html

I hope this helps...

R

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OBE

I called my favorite smith and he is booked up on full blown custom work but small jobs he is moving out the door pretty quick so I am going to send it to him.

I did spend today digging through old posts another kit would be Dane Burns kit. I have boiled down my choice of parts to a short list though ( no order of preference)

Hammer:
Burns Custom
Nowlin 201PRO
Nowlin 210CS
Cylinder and Slide Tactical II chamfered

Sear:
EGW

Disconnector:
Briley
C&S

I figure I will change out the firing pin stop and any springs as neccessary at the same time.

The bonus is I will have a match bushing fitted while at the shop. Which makes this complete except for some cosmetics ( did order Spegal grips a couple of days ago ).

·
Registered
15,320 Posts
AWESOME

I have the Nowlin TiN set, NP3'd, under 2lb. Maybe 10K through so far.........

I'd buy it again.

Extreme quality from Ed Brown, EGW, Clark, C&S, CMC, and some others...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Art said:
I put a Chip McCormick hammer, sear and disconnector in a Kimber. CMC parts are mim, buy they're relatively inexpensive and they are advertised as Easy Fit - they were too, only very minor stoning on the sear and I have an excellent trigger that has lasted several thousand rounds.

Shane45 is right - I had to fit a thumb saftey - I used a CMC.

Since CMC parts are about 1/2 the price of many other non mim parts you're not out a whole lot if you mess up the fitting - that was my rationale.

Good luck with whatever you go with - Art

I've used the CMC parts in 2 guns and i'm working on the 3rd now which will also use the CMC parts.
You are right about the thumb safty as well.
I'm vary pleased with CMC "easy fit" parts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts