1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here are some pics of a Colt that I just received back from Don WIlliams from the Action works. A big thanks to Don for a fantiastic gun!

The gun started life as a stainless steel series 80 enhanced govt model. It is now much improved in both asthetics and function. The gun has always been reliable but now the feel is smooth and rock solid as the gun is handled and shot. I've put about 175 rounds through it and it is accurate and dead reliable.

Sight picture of the gold bead front sight.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Absolutely beautiful gun. I've been watching Don's work and thinking of sending him a couple of my guns. Would you mind telling me how long it took to do the work on your gun............And what all did he do to your Colt ?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ok I have time to list the details now.

The work done to the Colt is:

* Heinie sights (black rear and gold bead front)

* Long solid aluminum trigger

* Tool Steel hammer and sear (Appear to be Cylinder and slide I did not specify a brand preferance)

* Trigger job set to ~4lbs

* Wilson beavertail

* Match bushing

* Crown barrel

* Tighten slide to frame and lap in (the gun rattled when sent)

* Dehorn package (light beveling that turned out fantastic)

* Blend factory trigger guard undercut into front strap (this was a real eye sore on the gun originally and as the pictures show it was blended beautifully)

*Install S&A magwell and blend to mag opening

*Silver solder new plunger tube to replace loose original

*Bead blast gun and polish flats

*Reliability job

The workmanship is first rate! I had not seen many of Don's guns pictured on the forums but was impressed when I sent an email and he called to discuss what I was looknig to have done. The difference in the gun really has to be felt to be apprecieated. Cycling the slide open or dropping it on a loaded magazine results in a smooth solid clunk as the slide closes and the barrel locks up. To say I am pleased would be an understatement.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Nice blaster Chris.

I agree with ya' on the undercut front strap. Colt ships them off half done on the enhanced models.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Here is one more with the gun in its street clothes (gunner grips):

The referance to Enhanced was a package that Colt was offering on their guns in the 90's. It was before todays loaded or factory custom features were available and this gun was purchased a couple years before Kimber ever produced a 1911. The enhancements turned out to be of little value though they sounded good. Many of them were not well done like the down turned beavertail they used, the magwell bevel which is not impressive from the factory etc... The lowered ejection port they did do a good job on. I learned then that the "extras" are less than they appear and still hold to that view with all the factory enhanced pistols today.

The grip safety fit is fantastic! I have another gun that someone else worked on and there is some wiggle in the beavertail like the tangs were a little overcut and it allows the beavertail to wobble slightly. It still works fine but has more play in it than I expected. This one moves only in the intended direction there is not side to side slop at all! I also let Don know that I hate a grip safety that is cut so high that the thumb safety pad exposes the hole under it when it is engaged. It is a pet peve of mine and Don suggested that the use of the Wilson should help to avoid that situation.

I have answered the other questions about the gun via PM. Since Don is a member here on the board, prices and lead times for work are best directed to him. I will talk about this project but for work on a specific project ask the gunsmith directly. He is more aware of his workload etc than I am and a very personable guy to talk to. I have seen some wildly off based estimates given here when I know a smith that I contacted was either more or less booked that what someone else posted. I can attest to the quality of the work!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts