1911Forum banner

Active Reverse Plug From Pistol Dynamics!!!

2070 Views 6 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  HiVelSword
Read about the new ARP (Active Reverse Plug) in the latest Custom Combat Handguns.

It was tested on a Kimber Pro Carry and a Springfield Champion. Both had bull barrels and full length guide rods. (designed for guns like these)

Not only does the ARP replace the guide rod making dissasembly so much easier, it somehow manages to reduce muzzle flip as well! Is this cool or what??!?! Don't know how it works but it looks very promising.

Oh, wait. Here. http://www.pistoldynamics.com/ARP.html

I'd think it was all "smoke and mirrors" had it not been designed at Pistol Dynamics!

Now I just need to get a Pro Carry and then get my own ARP. I'll be doing this in Feb/Mar. I can't wait!!!!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
23,961 Posts
I have seen the device on the PD site but not the magazine advertisement.
The internal detent gadgetry to center the barrel has to take up some room that I think would be better used for another turn or two of spring. Those guns are woefully undersprung anyhow. Reduce muzzle flip? Come on.
Me?
I'd see if ISMI would make me a flatwire setup for the 4" gun. Or get my FLG to do so, he was building them from scratch for Glock springs before ISMI came out with them.

· Registered
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jim Watson said:
I have seen the device on the PD site but not the magazine advertisement.
The internal detent gadgetry to center the barrel has to take up some room that I think would be better used for another turn or two of spring. Those guns are woefully undersprung anyhow. Reduce muzzle flip? Come on.
Me?
I'd see if ISMI would make me a flatwire setup for the 4" gun. Or get my FLG to do so, he was building them from scratch for Glock springs before ISMI came out with them.
It wasn't a magazine advertisement in Custom Combat Handguns it was a review of two guns after the part was installed. Not sure of the writer. I'll know once I get home from work.

"Reduce muzzle flip? Come on."

It was the writer's impression that there was a reduction in muzzle flip. No where in the link I supplied did it mention a reduction in muzzle rise.

IMO, I don't think Paul with all of his vast knowledge and experience would offer a product that doesn't work as intended or would cause a pistol already undersprung to be any less reliable with his part installed.

· Registered
23,961 Posts
Newsstand magazine articles are seldom more than unpaid advertisements. Usually balanced out by paid advertisements in the same publication. And cheap to free goodies for the author. Ever seen an unfavorable review of a product?

I am sure Mr Liebenberg makes a quality gun. At his prices, he should. But he cannot change the laws of physics. The recoil spring replacement interval for these short guns runs 400 to 800 shots, per the manufacturers. Keep them changed out and I am sure a tuned pistol will work fine, the loss of a coil or so made up for by proper fit and smoothed operation. Heck, he doesn't show the internals of his gadget, maybe his detent doesn't cut into spring space at all. The guns are still undersprung and need all the help they can get.

Reduce muzzle flip?
I see a lot of such claims that require that the shooter have the sensitivity of The Princess and The Pea.

· Registered
730 Posts
Cool gadget! :) The plug apparently has a ball detent (...together with a dimpled bull barrel?). This theoretically could increase lock time through friction, and thus make for better function in the pesky short barrelled 1911s.

The claim is: "'Active Recoil Plug' system that supports the barrel throughout it's cycle and helps to retard the action of the system by keeping pressure on the barrel at all times. This ensures that the bullet leaves the barrel before the ejection cycle begins and prevents 'stringing' on the target."

It is possible, but how much does this device helps? I respect Mr Liebenberg very much, he knows a lot about pistol dynamics and did a lot of work related to this topic while he was at S&W, complete with high camera films studies. But maybe he is not entirely above marketing plots...

· Registered
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
At the very least...

TiroFijo said:
Cool gadget! :) The plug apparently has a ball detent (...together with a dimpled bull barrel?). This theoretically could increase lock time through friction, and thus make for better function in the pesky short barrelled 1911s.

The claim is: "'Active Recoil Plug' system that supports the barrel throughout it's cycle and helps to retard the action of the system by keeping pressure on the barrel at all times. This ensures that the bullet leaves the barrel before the ejection cycle begins and prevents 'stringing' on the target."

It is possible, but how much does this device helps? I respect Mr Liebenberg very much, he knows a lot about pistol dynamics and did a lot of work related to this topic while he was at S&W, complete with high camera films studies. But maybe he is not entirely above marketing plots...
At the very least, it makes dissasembly easier. Damn, do I hate those FLGR's in 1911's!:mummy:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.