1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Hello everyone,
I am not one who posts on forums much, I mostly lurk. However, I'm rather impressed with my new prime and I figured those of you waiting on your order, or considering placing an order, might find this helpful.

Story time: I turned 31 at the end of January and, having never owned one previously, found myself thinking "I should buy a 1911." The question then was where I should plunk down my hard-earned cash? I looked at the usual suspects, Wilson, Nighthawk, Dan Wesson, etc., but nothing really resonated with me. During that time, I kept running across people suggesting Alchemy. Being a complete 1911 noob, I found their website and started digging around the forums. I liked what I saw. Rob's sense of style and "retro" look resonated with me.

I also spent quite a bit of time looking through old forums posts where Rob discusses his build philosophy and what he considers important in a 1911. At that point I decided to go ahead and place an order. They have an excellent website with detailed, high resolution photos of their products so you know exactly what you are getting into. I placed my order and deposit on 2/3/20 and Patty (who is fantastic and very helpful by the way) sent me my build invoice that same day. A few days later they sent a coupon for a free Alchemy hat while my build was in process, a nice touch. My estimated delivery date was 7/3/20, and I’ll be damned if it didn't arrive at my FFL on exactly 7/3/20.

I added the less than 1” guarantee to my build. Not because I’m capable to shooting to that high a level at 25 yards, but because I wanted the extra time and attention spent on fitting the bushing and lower barrel legs to the slide stop. I also secretly hoped Rob would also put his initials on the fitted parts, but alas none were to be found. :p Your Alchemy will arrive in a very nice soft case (made in the USA), 2 8 round ACT mags, a plastic bushing wrench, a test target, and a manual and some other literature.

Test Target

As to what I’m capable off, here’s a pretty typical 25 yard target for me: offhand at 25 yards at ~1shot a second cadence (2” dot for reference)

Aim small, miss small at 10 yards

To be continued...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
After tossing on a set of VZ grips, I’ve got just a hair over 1k rounds on my prime now. Ammunition consisted of Super Vel, S&B, Magtech, Fiocchi, PPU, and some Golden Sabre. It’s been mostly fed using Tripp mags and I’ve run into zero issues in regard to reliability. Ejection is a beautifully positive arc at about 3:30. The safety is easy to snick on, requires a deliberate press to snick off, and has zero mush. The “comfort carry” checkering is fan-freaking-tastic. The high cut front strap and beaver tail are awesome when it comes to hammering out a shot string. I add some lube ever few hundred rounds and it just keeps chugging along.

I decided to break it down today for it’s *first* cleaning, mostly just to inspect how things are wearing in. Some beauty shots follow.

Lower leg contact with the slide stop pin looks great. You’re going to need a *metal* bushing wrench to get the bushing out if you get the accuracy guarantee. I think Rob mentioned this somewhere at some point, so I had picked on up while waiting on my build.

To be continued...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ejector is slightly extended if anyone in curious. Front sight is pinned on center. A nice touch (at least to me). Slide stop, extractor, and firing pin stop are numbered to the gun.

All cleaned up and ready for more.

Personally, at the price Alchemy currently charges for a base prime I think these things are a STEAL.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Congratulations! Beautiful gun. I'm expecting mine in the November time frame and can't wait to see it in person. Great write up and great gun!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Great write up, with outstanding pictures. You certainly made a fantastic choice! Thanks for sharing this, it certainly makes my late November delivery more bearable!

·
Administrator
10,852 Posts
You put that gun in a kydex holster?
Plastic holsters are for plastic guns; that gun deserves leather.

·
Premium Member
5,709 Posts
I absolutely cringed when I saw that gun in that holster...

I was wondering if anyone else was going to say something . While I love
holster wear . I love the bluing much more .

Its nice to see you are shooting the pistol and enjoying it . No matter what
holster you put it in . Nice write up .

·
Premium Member
5,709 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Gotta get on the list. The ACW website just updated wait times for most models from 4-5 months to 6-7 months. The secret is out!

Passed on a "bargain" LB this week because it would eat into my ACW cash stash!

Really want a matched pair but cant justify the cash outlay in the current economic climate. Wonder if Rob would let me "reserve" the consecutive frame or sell me the consecutive frame for a later build?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I enjoyed your review and the pics-one of the better reviews I've seen so far for an ACW. While leather is preferred by many/most/me included for 1911 carry; it's your 1911 not ours.
Carry on and enjoy.

·
Registered
Trumark Wrist Rocket
306 Posts
Gotta get on the list. The ACW website just updated wait times for most models from 4-5 months to 6-7 months. The secret is out!

Passed on a "bargain" LB this week because it would eat into my ACW cash stash!

Really want a matched pair but cant justify the cash outlay in the current economic climate. Wonder if Rob would let me "reserve" the consecutive frame or sell me the consecutive frame for a later build?
A matched pair with consecutive serial numbers would be a bucket list dream. :rock: You don't know unless you ask.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Great review of a super pistol.

Glad to see that yours is carried and used and not simply sitting in a safe.

One of these is calling my name.

·
Premium Member
7,116 Posts
Congrats. Excellent review and better yet you included some dirty pics..;)
Your post/picture ratio..:rock:
Btw, use whatever holster you want..:)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts