1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice that alot of guys don't like having adj. sights on their carry gun, why is this? Is it fear of getting bumped out of adjustment? Is size an issue? I have seen some that arent much bigger than fixed sights.

Thanks, Albie

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
Lots of folks believe that you simply don't need them. I feel differently. If you like them, and they work and they are durable, go for it. I have them on a Wilson customized Colt Combat Elite and carried it for many years before going to my CQB. I never had a single problem, even when I dropped it down a 500 ft hill while rapelling down a cliff. Sight never moved but the beavertail folded up on me. I have a lanyard now.

I have never believed that a defensive pistol needed night sights front and back. BO-MAR rear and Heinie tritium front is perfect for my use. They are certainly highly thought of. Bar-dot tubes can be done on most any sight.

The leaf cut mounting is a very safe and reliable cut for adjustable sights. You can see these on Les Baer, Kimber and STI. Many custom shops like to do it, too.

If you have a Kimber or STI then Heinie makes fixed sights that will fit in the dovetail. Kinda cool and they work great.

·
Premium Member
9,375 Posts
Others feel that the old standard "mouse ear" type are more likely to get hung-up on clothing with the sharp edges.

But as previously mentioned, there are more and more adjustable options that have a fixed profile.

Considering a set myself.

Regards,
Greyson

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Early on in my 1911 shooting I learned that I was a lot more comfortable with combat type sights than adjustable sights (because of the size and style) but I am also now looking at the newer "adjustable combat sights" that are on the market these days for one of my weapons.

For me combat sights are just easier to pick up well and less likely to snag on something that the block style adjustables prevalent up til now.

Good luck and good shooting to you. :rock:

·
Registered
150 Posts
I am able to sit in on targets a lot faster with combat sites. Additionally, many rounds with both types of sites has demonstrated that I don't shoot better with one than with another, so I decided to take the sites that simply worked better for me.

I acquire targets faster with combat sites and run a reduced risk of knocking the sites out of whack by snagging them on something.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I've never had any problems with bomars through 1000s of rounds of hard use. I would recomend having the corners rounded so that they're less prone to getting snagged on your clothing or skin. Adjustable sights offer a really clean sight picture which I prefer.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
I have some of each.. To me adjustable is better in say IDPA than NonAdjustable.. As for carry none adjustabe may not snag where as Adj might...
I carry a S&W 1911 with adjusable sights anytime I leave the house. I have never had my Adjustable snag..

·
Registered
384 Posts
Adjustable Sights on Carry Gun

I put Novak Extreme Duty Adjustable sights on a Kimber Compact, but only because it shot well below point of aim with the fixed sights that came on it (not original Kimber sights -- I bought the gun used). By calculation, I would have had to remove most of the front sight to raise POI to POA.

I'm very pleased with the Novaks: sight picture is clear and well-defined; they appear well designed and ruggedly built; they required only minor fitting to install. Oh yeah -- and they let me adjust POI to coincide with POA, too.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Does anyone have experience with Novak's GHOST SIGHTS?

Opinions please.

Philip

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts