1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get a set of adjustable sights for my springfield armory microcompact .45 (found here : http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=14 )

Reason being its shooting about 8 inches low at 15 yards and 5-6 inches low at 7 yards. this is unacceptable to me in a carry handgun. Id rather know my gun shoots dead on at that range and then compensate from there.

So I was looking at replacing the sights with something adjustable or even with the glow dots. Id rather not have to send my slide in to have the novac cuts machined into it. Thats a little more than I want to pay or deal with atm.

The sigh I was interested in looking at was this : http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=23175&title=ADJUSTABLE NIGHT SIGHT

Or if a night sight isnt hwat id want looking at this one also http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/st...3299&title=COMBAT CARRY ADJUSTABLE REAR SIGHT

Will they work with out modification i.e. the groove the sight slides into on the slide? Or is there some other kind of sight I need?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
505 Posts
I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe you are going to be out of luck. Those sights will require that your slide be milled to accept them.

·
Registered
80 Posts
You could file the front sight down,a little at a time,until you're 'dead on' at the distance you want.That's what I'd do if it were me.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
I had the same problem, and had these Novak adj night sights installed, but the slide had to be milled a little. Any competent gunsmith can do this. Now my gun shoots to point of aim.

·
Registered
552 Posts
MMC adjustable night sights.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
eljay45 said:
What about sending it back to SA and letting them fix your existing sights?
That'd be my take on it too.

5-6" low at 7 yds (assuming no shooter error) seems way out of tolerance somewhere.

I'd at least call SA customer service and see what they say about it.

·
Registered
21,982 Posts
8" error at 15 yards is right at 0.10" sight change. Too much to file off the front sight and leave anything to aim the gun with, a lot of elevation to add at the rear. There have been a lot of similar reports here for the last few years. I think something has slipped a cog down at Imbel and the barrels are locking up too high at the breech or too low at the muzzle; or the top line of the slide is sloped wrong. Sounds like a warranty matter to me. But get the best shot you know to try the gun and see if the low point of impact can be duplicated, preferably from a rest.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awesome thanks guys.

Anyone know if its the ammo. I was shooting cci blazer brass 230gr fmj. Are they loaded under spec to meet cost possably? I didnt have anyhting else with me to test it out with.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
It sounds like you need a 230g bullet going very slow to raise the point of impact. Or am I on the wrong track?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What should I be looking for when trying to find a sight that fits? i like t hose psi's but would like to have it without the glow in the dark dots. Seeing as the front dosent have a dot to match.

·
Registered
85 Posts
sights

SA has a factory adjustable on the sa sight 49$ that goes in your factory novac slot. one of the guys at the IDPA match had some, now I have some on order. :rock:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Are those sights on there website? I havent found them yet...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts