1911Forum banner

Adjustable Sights On SW1911

2287 23
Hey all ..

I've been thinking about picking up a Smith 1911 and am torn between adjustable and fixed sights.

How durable are the adjustable sights? If I bump them holstering the gun is it going to knock them out of whack? Are they real good for zeroing in?

My intended use will mainly be for target/range but it will also double at my bedside and possibly as a camp carry piece from time to time.

Thanks in advance!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've never owned a 1911 where as the sights were off, but I'm affraid of it none the less. :p

If one has a gun that is shooting off to the side or low, and the gun has fixed sights ... how big of a pain in the arse is it to correct? Well, I imagine you just send it back to Smith eh?

· Registered
497 Posts
TBT, I have the target model with adjustable sights. They were on target when I got the gun. The sights won't move if you bump them against the belt or the holster. to move them you have got to turn the screws. Hope this helps.

· Registered
87 Posts
If you want adjsutable sights, don't be talked out of them. I have several of both and I got to tell you I love the adjustables on my SW1911. They are of S&W's design, I believe, but they're like Bomars...mounted deep in the slide and they seem to be quite sturdy. If you reload or like to shoot different bullet weights, they are the ticket. I would not hesitate to take my SW1911 target model "to war" with the adjsutable sights. Buy what makes you happy.:)

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info gents. I'm not sure. I've always liked fixed sights. I'm just not sure what I want to do with this gun I'm planning on buying. The adjustables seem to offer a bit more. Who knows. I'll ponder it some more.

While I'm asking questions ... How impervious is the blued version to rust? I've in the past had issues with metals rusting (even a few specs on a couple of guns once) in my area and might be better suited going with the stainless version. I've heard that stainless is always more resistant to rust.

I'm habitual with cleaning my guns because of this. Usually no more than two weeks go by without a cleaning shot or not. Still though, its a serious concern. I like the look of the blued gun better than the stainless but looks aren't everything.

· Registered
2,178 Posts
I was concerned about rust with my 1911SC since I carry IWB. I haven't had a single rust spot show up.

Then again, I don't live on the Gulf Coast.;)

· Registered
932 Posts
Unless I'm going to be on a battlefield or carry a pistol unholstered, I will always opt for adjustable sights. I carried a sidearm for thirty years in LE, mostly with adjustables, and never had a problem with them. Some adjustables are inherently more sturdy than others but that usually has to do with how they're mounted (lower is better). I have come to believe that the rap adjustables have received over the years is mostly unfounded hype when it comes to their supposed lack of sturdiness. At the typical gunfight distances, all you really have to worry about is the FRONT sight staying in place.
On the other hand, fixed sights can and do come from the factory misaligned. The only fix is to bang the rear sight to one side or the other (assuming, of course, that the sight resides in a dove-tail-some don't) if you're trying to change the windage. Extreme cases will require twisting the barrel or employing "Kentucky windage". Changes to elevation means breaking out the file and judiciously shaving off some metal. This works, of course, only in one direction. In any event, changing the point of impact to correspond with your point of aim is a crude business at best. And, as 45MoonClip noted, if you reload and like to use different loads for whatever reason-good luck!

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I shoot 230 grain WWB at the range and carry Corbon PowRball. I guess that could be a pretty big difference right there, but in my UCII it hasn't been. Both shoot equally accurate.

· Registered
932 Posts
I would certainly agree that if you never have a cause or reason to change your sights in the future, then by all means, stick with the fixed. But the future can be a long time and, if the day comes when you want to change loads for reasons only a crystal ball could foretell now, you're stuck with those fixed...

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've thought a lot about it and I'm really pretty much convinced I want to go with the adjustable sights. If something is a bit "off" I can sight it in myself. Being that the gun won't be carried often and maybe never "concealed" I think the adjustables make more sense.

Now I need to figure out if I want blue or stainless. :p

I really like the blue smith, but I am a bit worried about it resisting rust. How durable is the blue finish on these guns?

· Registered
932 Posts
TBT, if you're like me you prefer the appearance of a nice blue-job. The problem is that nobody, including Smith ,makes a pistol anymore that I feel looks anywhere near as good as they did even a decade ago. Too labor-intensive to turn a profit, I guess.
The S&W model 60 was the first s/s firearm to be introduced (in the mid-sixties) and the reason for it then is the same reason for s/s today: reduced (not eliminated) need for maintenance. I'm a guy who religiously wipes down every firearm I own after handling it, even my s/s guns, and I think if you are mindful of the need for at least doing that, you'll have no trouble with rust even on a blued gun.
That said, there are climates (especially humid or wet/salty air environs) and situations (carrying a gun next to a sweaty body or holstered for long periods of times) where and when s/s makes a lot of sense.
It's for these reasons that I now lean toward s/s when I'm in the market for a new gun (which my wife thinks is perpetual!). Blued or stainless? Still you're call!

· Premium Member
6,845 Posts
If you are concerned about rust you can get some of those silicone treated socks to put your gun in. After a good wipedown with oil, or whatever, slip it into one of those.

And don't store the gun in the foam lined box..... Foam is a sponge and sponges attract and store moisture.

Bob

· Registered
87 Posts
TBT - I'm just a few miles to your east in Johnstown. I've got a number of blued guns in my safe and I've not had a problem with rust. I keep them wiped down with 'Breakfree', MPro7 or light gun oil. Stainless guns are a more trouble free finish for sure. I keep them wiped down too, but the big advantage in stainless is that it just doesn't show wear. Blued steel guns are going to show holster and handling wear more readily.
For storage, a gun can't be too oily. Just wipe it down with a dry towel before use.
I shoot some of my stainless guns fairly often and I don't clean them after every outing. I DO wipe them down thoroughly to get rid of powder residue and fingerprints. I firmly believe you can wear guns out more by cleaning than by general use. My SW 1911 is the stainless model #108284 with adjustable sights and full length guide rod. It has been 100% reliable will all the ammo it's been fed. I love it and I love the adjustable sights. They are easy to see and hit things with. You probably can't go wrong with a SW1911.

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I wouldn't say that I've had a problem with rust but more likely I'd found a very small selection of rust on two guns some two years ago and have been paranoid about it since. :p

I'll most likely go with the blue version if for no other reason, its what Ir eally do want right now.

· Registered
932 Posts
45MoonClip: How accurate is that S&W Target model? That's the one I'm interested in and I'm wondering if it's good enough to compete at the 50 yard slow-fire line at a Bullseye shoot.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.