1911Forum banner

Adjustable sights

1K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  eljay45 
#1 ·
I have around 1000 rounds through my Stainless Target and the rear blade of the adjustable sight will not stay tight, It almost fell apart at the range this week. My question is does anyone make a fixed sight that would fill in the void of the machining in the top of the slide? Sounds stupid, but questioning the need for adjustable sights. If no fixed sight is available, should I send my slide in and have Kimber put a new one on or should I fork out $60 to have Bomar's put on? Am I better of spending $60 on proven Bomar's or $?? in shipping, only to have my next Kimber sight fall apart at 1000 rounds? Sorry for being long winded, but I am getting a little frustrated with the sights, and even more disappointed in my decision to by the target instead of the custom. Gun works great.

Mark

#2 ·
Mark,
If you like the idea of adjustable sights the by all means go with the Bomar. This is a well made sight that will last and last. Bomar didn't earn their reputation by making a crappy product. The cost of the sight is about 60 bucks plus cost of installation. If you do choose the Bomar, have a known gunsmith in your area do the install. It will save you alot of grief in the future. My 2 cents worth.

------------------

#4 ·
My question is does anyone make a fixed sight that would fill in the void of the machining in the top of the slide?
To my knowledge, no one makes a fixed sight option to fit the adjusatble sight - but I would check with Heinie, Novak, MMC, etc. to see what option might be available.

#5 ·
I emailed Heinie last night and he said that at this time there are no fixed sights that will fill the void of the adjustable, but he has gotten a lot of requests from Kimber owners for one. So maybe in the near future there will be an option to intall fixed sights on guns that have adjustable sights.

Mark

[This message has been edited by MarkInND (edited 08-11-2001).]

#8 ·
Originally posted by MarkInND:
I emailed Heinie last night and he said that at this time there are no sights that will fill the void of the adjustable, but he has gotten a lot of requests from Kimber owners for one. So maybe in the near future there will be an option to intall a fixed sight.

Mark
I wish I knew this before sending in the slide of my Custom Eclipse II. Ended up getting it back with no work done
. Heinie does not specifically state this on their website. Anybody else have other options? I need night sights and the Meprolights totally suck...

------------------
"Ain't nothin' like a finely-tuned 1911..."

#9 ·
The windage screw nut on a Kimber LPA sight has to be staked more with a screwdriver ands a hammer to keep the rear blade screw from skipping it's detent and drifting left or right.

Tis is a problem with the LPA rear sight which is also found on SA and Para.

BoMar makes a sight to fit the Kimber LPA cut now.

#10 ·
Originally posted by Glock_Racer:
I wish I knew this before sending in the slide of my Custom Eclipse II. Ended up getting it back with no work done
. Heinie does not specifically state this on their website. Anybody else have other options? I need night sights and the Meprolights totally suck...

Nope... For now, you're pretty much stuck...

You can get a Blank, Non-Nightsighted rear from Kimber, or upgrade, and get the BMCS-K Bomar, and then send it to Trijicon, and they can install the Tritium elements, for a small fee.

Sadly, I learned this a couple years ago with my CST, but I have actually enjoyed having the Adjustables. I am, however considering the Mod that Ned is doing, I think it offers much better protection of the sight, and a better part.

Mark, I will say that I haven't had any problems with my Kimber sights, and I have roughly 5000 rounds though it.

[This message has been edited by jaydee (edited 08-11-2001).]

#11 ·
MarkInND, here you go (Bo-Mar replacement):

Glock_Racer

I was going to tell you that I thought you were confused; that the Eclipse had fatory fixed sights. Guess who was confused...

I'm curious, what is it you don't like about the Mepro sights?

Anyway, you can have night sight vials inserted into plain sights as jaydee mentioned. Depending on what you don,t like about the Mepro unit, that may be your best (or only) option for a Kimber slide machined for factory adjustables.

[This message has been edited by Kevinch (edited 08-11-2001).]

#12 ·
Originally posted by Kevinch:

I was going to tell you that I thought you were confused; that the Eclipse had fatory fixed sights. Guess who was confused...

I'm curious, what is it you don't like about the Mepro sights?

Anyway, you can have night sight vials inserted into plain sights as jaydee mentioned. Depending on what you don,t like about the Mepro unit, that may be your best (or only) option for a Kimber slide machined for factory adjustables.
The problem with Meprolights is the front sight went dark after 100rds. or so and I don't want to send it in to Kimber and get it back only for it to go out again...

The Bo-Mars look great, and yes I've had them on my Glock and they take some good punishment. The rear sight on my Custom Ecplise II is fine. I wonder if I can get a front sight replacement with a tritium dot on it?

------------------
"Ain't nothin' like a finely-tuned 1911..."

[This message has been edited by Glock_Racer (edited 08-11-2001).]

#13 ·
My Stainless Gold Match is going back to Kimber tomorrow because the blade on the rear sight broke off yesterday during an IDPA match. These are Kimber adjustable night sights. This will be the 3rd time I have had to send my pistol to them because of the sights. The original front sight came loose after 150 rounds so I had the night sights installed, 650 rounds later the rear insert fell out, now the whole blade broke off(4200 rounds) I should of just got the Bomar sight in the beginning

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.