1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I can't find the correct size allen wrench at home for my adjustable trigger on my Colt XS GM. Does anyone know if they are metric or standard?

And when I adjust it, what is it adjusting and in which direction cw or ccw does it adjust it?

Thanks

·
Registered
364 Posts
I'm not sure about the size on a colt, but I can tell you what it does. It is actually a trigger over-travel stop. You set it so that the trigger moves very little rearward AFTER the sear breaks clear of the hammer. It makes for a shorter overall trigger pull.
As far as I can tell, typically, CW rotation of the allen screw decreases the pull length.

------------------
Really interesting....Don't ya think??

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
I believe it is a std. size (I don't know the measurement).

This is the over-travel screw. If you are not sure why you are adjusting it - don't!!!

The over-travel screw prevents the trigger from travelling too far back once the hammer has dropped. If you don't know how to adjust it, you could end up with improper trigger/disconnector reset, or worse - you could possibly go full-auto

·
Registered
364 Posts
Yes.....as Shane stated, I should have mentioned, have it set up by a reliable smith...Thanks Shane.

------------------
Really interesting....Don't ya think??

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Newton,
As you can see, you posted yours a minute before mine! Great minds think alike, huh?

We really should be working more and surfing less right?

One of these days the boss will find out what we REALLY do all day

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I love how some people automatically assume others are idiots when they ask a question so that they are informed about a topic.

Is it logical to do something and then ask what it does afterwards? In my opinion only idiots and children do this and I don't assume that people are idiots. You know what they say about assuming...

I was hoping the screw would get rid of the slop in the beginning of the trigger pull so that I could maybe get consistent pull in order to help prevent jerking the trigger on quick follow up shots.

As a mechanically inclined engineer I wanted to have the tool on hand if I decided to adjust it after learning exactly what it did.

Sorry for not being an "expert" like everyone else out there.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Originally posted by SBLars:

Sorry for not being an "expert" like everyone else out there.

Chill SB - no one's an expert here. Our advice was only meant to alert you to the fact that there are repercussions from an improperly tuned screw. Your own first post lead us to believe that you were unsure of the screw's function.

We all had to learn somewhere. This place is a great start. No one is trying to treat anyone like an idiot, and if I did - sincere apologies.

Perhaps you could have asked in your original post how to get rid of the "slop in the beginning of the trigger pull" ? At least then we would have known what your intentions were. Soooooooooo....to answer this question - no, the screw will not adjust the "slop" or take-up out of your trigger.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Sorry if you took offense to my reply. While I can't speak for Shane, I didn't mean to say in any way you were an idiot. You posted a question, and I responded with as much as I knew. Knowing Shane from in here, I don't imagine he meant any offence either.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Moderator: May as well lock this thread up, I received the information I was looking for.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.