1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently purchased a used series 80 gold cup.This gun has the the factory old sytle adjusable trigger,but a would like to install a new 3-hole style trigger in the gun. I bought the last CMC trigger but its too thin and wiggles like a loose tooth as the stock trigger is much wider. Does any one make a good modern looking trigger that will work well in this older colt?

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I know King's Gun Works used to make several variations of the Gold Cup Trigger in aluminum, to include different colors!

You might give Colt's Custom Shop a call and ask where they are getting the three hole trigger they use in all the current production Gold Cups, they have an 800 number on - www.colt.com - or check with Brownell's - www.brownells.com.

Keep in mind when you install the new trigger that the Series 80 guns must have enough trigger travel to unlock the firing pin lock completely or you can induce misfires with a new trigger install.

If you are unsure, let a smith knowledgable in the Series 80 Colts and Paras set it. If in doubt, back the screw off and allow more overtravel. After the install, take it to the range and test it before carry. Look at your fired cases and make sure the firing pin indent hasn't changed. Too little trigger travel can even keep the original "Series 70" 1911s from firing - this is an important adjustment.

A quick nonfiring check is the old "pencil test". Once the gun is reassembled, put a standard #2 pencil down the bore and point upward. Pull trigger - if it launches the pencil forcefully the firing pin is getting to the primer in fine style. It is good to try this with the gun bone stock to get a feel for what is normal.

If you get just slightly too tight a trigger overtravel adjustment you will see little "nick" marks on your firing pin plunger, even though the gun may seem to fire ok. This is not good - back off the screw!

Just make sure you understand what is going on and that the trigger can still disengage the firing pin lock completely. Check the plunger for "nicks" whenever the gun is apart. If in doubt, let the gunsmith do it! Our shop always reverses the allen screw, sets the travel properly and loctites it, then tells the customer to leave it alone!

Warmly, Col. Colt

"Beware of Counterfeits & Patent Infringements" - Samuel Colt, from a mid-1850's Colt Newspaper Ad. More True today than 150 years ago!

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
I did a trigger job years back on a Gold Cup. I replaced the trigger with a King's and was suprised how much the factory weighed. There also should be a Tiny lever and a small spring somewhere on the Sear that helps the heavy factory trigger return. These two parts can be discarded as the lighter trigger has no problem resetting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts