1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I bought a Kimber Custom Stainless and guess what the extractor has no tension on the bullet what so ever. I have already shot about 400 rounds and have never had a problem with it extracting.

I did adjust the Extractor tonight but now I am concerned I may have it to tight.

1. What are the malfunctions to look for with a tight extractor?

2. I am worried that some of the springs in my mags may be to week.

3. The Wilson maintenace manual says to have 3 to 4 pounds of presure on the bullet. I don't know what that feels like.

·
Registered
293 Posts
well, i don't much about extractors, however, i can say that if there were no problems with it before you may not have wanted to mess with it. 3 or 4 pounds is not very much.

if it was extracting the rounds and putting them in a fairly small pile, or even in the same area it should have been alright.

as to tell what its set at i have no idea how to tell, only that if its working properly i wouldn't mess with it, let someone who knows check it.

be very careful of changing something that appears to be working correctly, good luck with your gun.

russel the cop

------------------
CHANCE FAVORS THE PREPARED MIND....

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish it was putting the shells in one area. some go out 10 feet others about 3 or 4 feet.

·
Registered
417 Posts
You'll find some useful information here:
http://www.m1911.org/technic2.htm

You get to it by clicking on "Links" at the top of the page, then clicking on the first link in the list: m1911.org. Then click on the pistol, then click on "Technical Issues," then click on the article, "Tuning the Extractor."

·
Registered
555 Posts
WDG,

I'm not sure what the problem is. You said you've shot 400 rounds and the gun has no problem with extracting.

Anyway, 3-4 lbs sounds about right although maybe a tad high. If the extractor has too much tension (tight) it won't feed right; if too little tension it won't eject. With the slide off and the barrel out, slide a bullet under the extractor about midway. It should dangle when you shift the position of the gun. If you can, it's best to adjust the extractor at the range, bending it a TINY bit at a time then trying it. It's not difficult but it can be tedious. Learning how to adjust the extractor is something that every 1911 owner should know.

BTW, I haven't seen too many guns that consistently drop cases in a neat little pile.

With only 400 rounds through the gun I wouldn't worry about weak springs.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Answers...

1) A lot of FTF. Bullet nose-dived into feed ramp. Also, you may find your brass hitting you in the face a lot.

2) Change them - springs are cheap.

3) If you really want to know what it feels like, press your finger down on a bathroom scale until you hit 4 lbs. A better (although not quite as accurate) method is to remove your slide, and slide a cartridge up the breech face with the rim under the extractor. Centre the rim under the extractor. Rotate the slide 360 degrees in all directions - the cartridge should not slip or fall. If you think your extractor is too tight, bend it gently back so that it does allow your cartridge to fall. Then repeat the process until you get the extractor set to where it just holds the cartridge in place, and no tighter.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm not sure how important it is! I have a WW2 1911A1, with a TIGHT extractor, that never misses a beat. It even feeds Speer's "Flying Ashtray" flawlessly, yet never fails to extract! As Howard has said, I havn't seen many guns that put every case in a neat pile. Too many variables, including the way you hold the gun.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Slide a loaded cartridge under the extractor(slide off of gun).If the extractor is correctly tensioned the cartridge will stay in place when you turn the slide in any direction fairly vigorously,but fall out if you slide it down about 1/10".

To adjust tension,remove the extractor,turn it around and stick its rear into the extractor hole,up to the pivot lug.Gently bend it whichever way you need to.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Originally posted by Rocklobster:
Slide a loaded cartridge under the extractor(slide off of gun).If the extractor is correctly tensioned the cartridge will stay in place when you turn the slide in any direction fairly vigorously,but fall out if you slide it down about 1/10".

To adjust tension,remove the extractor,turn it around and stick its rear into the extractor hole,up to the pivot lug.Gently bend it whichever way you need to.

That's true Rocklobster. Just one more thing about the 1/10th inch test with a round....... An empty should not dislodge when pushed down 1/10th of an inch. That test is the one that Wilson recommends in his Bullet Proof Extractor directions. Extractor would be seperate naturally.

------------------
The Right Of The People To Keep And Bear Arms Shall Not Be Infringed

1 - 10 of 10 Posts