1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
I am in search of a fixed blade, general purpose knife. Probably about a 5" blade in the $50 range.
I always carry a folder of some sort, usually a Kershaw leek or spec bump, but I don't own a fixed blade.
I've checked out this forum and been to a couple sites like knifecenter.com and the choices are overwhelming!
I like the looks of a tanto blade but quite honestly don't know the pro's and cons of that style.
Ultimately blade type isn't as important as strength and durability.
Thanks and Happy New Year.

·
Registered
576 Posts
IMO that tanto is more useful for poking/prying/stabbing than other profiles. You might consider a spear-point or drop-point for general-purpose usage. Of course everyone's "general-purpose" is different, so YMMV.

·
Registered
271 Posts
A tanto tip is great for prying or stabbing. $50.00 ..... you don't leave much room for quality. All of my Strider fixed blades are tantos.They come with the tip less sharp than the mainblade for a reason. Save your money and buy a quality knife that will last a lifetime. For $175.00 you can buy a WP with tanto tip. I use mine every day as a general utility knife.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Get a Ka-bar Short. They come with tanto-style blades as long as you order them in that kind of configuration. For $175 you could get a great blade, but if you spend $50 on a Ka-Bar you're not going to really care if you mess it up, as opposed to a scratched $175 blade. Just my .02. Good luck!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Ka Bar short tanto was one of the knives I've been considering. Also the "impact" line from Ka Bar.
As I've been looking around I've been pretty impressed with what's out there.
The Strider knives and Chris Reeves knives look awesome! I might just have to start saving up to purchase a high end knife or two someday.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Save up and get committed, you will find that if you spend a little more the material that the knife is crafted from will be superior to its cheap cousin. Superior by means of being staying sharper long, stronger with flexibility ect... And if you check out the knives some are selling second hand a great deal can be had at a fraction of the cost. I'm always in for saving a buck when you don't scarifice quality.

My EDC cost $300 a Chris Reeve knife that gets heavy everyday use and I like it that I don't have sharpen it every week, lucky if I touch it up once every month.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Strider has one of the best warrentys out there. You break it they fix it, no questions asked. Good luck if you can actually break one.Buy a Strider you wont regret it.

·
Banned
976 Posts
ghostrider1 said:
Strider has one of the best warrentys out there. You break it they fix it, no questions asked. Good luck if you can actually break one.Buy a Strider you wont regret it.
There are many test on the Strider blades out there. Google them. They're tested a lot because of their warranty.

I've seen some broken in these test, but before they broke, they were put through so much abuse that a knife would not normally have.

I mean extreme abuse. So that is a testimony in itself. It takes a lot to break one.

I have strider folder, no fixed blade but can attest to their quality and toughness and no questions asked warranty/guarentee.

Buy it and abuse it. You won't regret it.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I am a big fan of striders. I have and use a WP,WB Mod 10 with gunner grips, GB,SnG,SMF with tanto tip and a SMF with spear point. I also have an Emerson super 7 that was just sent off for cumtomizing. I kinda like the tanto tip myself.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The tant? differs from the others as it was designed primarily as a stabbing instrument, but the edge can be used to slash as well. Some tant? have particularly thick cross-sections for armor-piercing duty.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts