1911Forum banner

"Advertising" you are pro 2A

5262 192
I hope this is the correct forum for this. If not please move it.

My opinion and questions.

I am all about the 2nd Amendment first and foremost and I've been CCDW for a loooong time and believe in the Constitution.

I don't see the reason to go out in public wearing T-shirts, hats, etc., stating that you are carrying a firearm along with a message stating on some level that you are ready for a gunfight. Some of the shirts are funny and I own some. But I NEVER wear them outside the house. To me it just seems to be inviting conflict of some sort. The same with open carrying a sidearm when you go shopping, running around town. It just draws attention. Seems to me that it takes away your advantage if a situation arises.

What do y'all think on this subject?
What do LEOs on the forum think of this?

Thank you for your opinions.
101 - 120 of 193 Posts

· Registered
694 Posts
Ringolevio ---------- Re; Those Mercedes Shirt Dudes. I've had quite a few "fancy" brands. Lotus, Porsche, Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar, heck ----even a Ferrari 400i

But NO WAY did I EVER consider wearing a brand shirt or ball cap. It's just , to me, an embarrassingly cheesy thing to do. And the few times I've had Harley's I wore no Harley swag at all. But dang, I've seen a lot of guys & their women completely slathered in Harley D jackets, chain wallets, T Shirts, bandannas, & probably underwear.

Hey, whatever floats their innertube.
Well, Harley-Davidson is so much more than a marque; it's a way of life; for some, it's tantamount to a religion. Nevertheless, I have a lot of fun with folks wearing H-D gear (or even H-D ink): For one thing, I ask, "What's that say? 'Hardly-Dangerous'?"* And then I tell them that I can prove they're not really the hardcore scooter trash they think they are: I ask 'em -- with a big grin -- if any of their kids (or even dogs) are named "Knucklehead," "Panhead" or "Shovelhead"; if not, they have to admit they're not really that hardcore. Every so often, though, I run across someone (often a 1%er type) who does have a kid or dog named "Knucklehead," "Panhead" or "Shovelhead," and I have to admit that they really are a hardcore Harley freak. But either way, we have a laugh about it.

*Years ago, when I was in the T-shirt biz, I printed shirts with an H-D-looking logo that said "Hardly-Dangerous." But I died tryin' to peddle 'em at swap meets and biker bars, until I figured out the market for 'em wasn't Harley riders, it was riders of bikes other than H-D; one H-D rider explained, "I don't want a shirt that says 'Hardly-Dangerous,' I want one that says 'Highly-Dangerous'!"

Reactions: Bwompuss and M1A1A

· Registered
11 Posts
I don't advertise 2nd Amendment. 4 years ago I had a NRA license plate on my pickup truck. I went to see a attorney in a downtown liberal part of a town in Central Indiana. One of my tires was slashed and stabbed. The only reason I could figure it happened was the NRA plate. I never renewed it. Changed it to a American Legion license plate. I haven't had any issues since, but haven't been to that area again so who knows. I always carry concealed, like having a ace up my sleeve.

· Registered
471 Posts
Well, Harley-Davidson is so much more than a marque; it's a way of life; for some, it's tantamount to a religion. Nevertheless, I have a lot of fun with folks wearing H-D gear (or even H-D ink): For one thing, I ask, "What's that say? 'Hardly-Dangerous'?"* And then I tell them that I can prove they're not really the hardcore scooter trash they think they are: I ask 'em -- with a big grin -- if any of their kids (or even dogs) are named "Knucklehead," "Panhead" or "Shovelhead"; if not, they have to admit they're not really that hardcore. Every so often, though, I run across someone (often a 1%er type) who does have a kid or dog named "Knucklehead," "Panhead" or "Shovelhead," and I have to admit that they really are a hardcore Harley freak. But either way, we have a laugh about it.

*Years ago, when I was in the T-shirt biz, I printed shirts with an H-D-looking logo that said "Hardly-Dangerous." But I died tryin' to peddle 'em at swap meets and biker bars, until I figured out the market for 'em wasn't Harley riders, it was riders of bikes other than H-D; one H-D rider explained, "I don't want a shirt that says 'Hardly-Dangerous,' I want one that says 'Highly-Dangerous'!"
Once at the Vet I described a dog's symptoms as a "Keihin cough" ... to which the Doctor replied "an AMF?" ... I nodded.

It is a language all its own.

· Registered
44 Posts
Most of my adult life was spent in the military and a large part of my clothing was issued at one time or affiliated with units I was in, most people don't know what a CIB is and care even less, so anyone can take it for what it's worth and make assumptions as to whether or not I am armed. That being said, I don't specifically wear firearm related clothing or have stickers like that on my vehicles.
To those that have served in any capacity, I am honored to know you and thank you for your service and the many sacrifices you have endured. Your Label is the 82nd Airborne stationed in what used to be called Ft Bragg. The CIB I am personally very familiar with and fully know its meaning.

The subject of wearing items that reflect one’s beliefs be it pride, personal statement is as old as America itself. In actuality, it goes further back in time.

The topic of open carry vs concealed has been on going for many years. It most likely will continue. The discussion is healthy. The individual has the right to speak. Yet there are time when free speech is challenged due to moral opinions.

The topic of does one who openly display firearms or other similar things make then a target. Unfortunately, YES.

I live in area that has a whole lot of US Military vets and have viewed so many that wear hats, t-sheets or stickers on their vehicles to say they are proud of their service no matter how long they served. I am thankful to each and everyone of them and tell them so.

The issue of displaying is very subjective and is up to the individual to make that determination.

I am personally upset when I see the US flag burned in anger or protests. Yet I realize that they have that right.

I may not like what you say, but I will preserve the right for you to say it.
e

· Registered
85 Posts
I hope this is the correct forum for this. If not please move it.

My opinion and questions.

I am all about the 2nd Amendment first and foremost and I've been CCDW for a loooong time and believe in the Constitution.

I don't see the reason to go out in public wearing T-shirts, hats, etc., stating that you are carrying a firearm along with a message stating on some level that you are ready for a gunfight. Some of the shirts are funny and I own some. But I NEVER wear them outside the house. To me it just seems to be inviting conflict of some sort. The same with open carrying a sidearm when you go shopping, running around town. It just draws attention. Seems to me that it takes away your advantage if a situation arises.

What do y'all think on this subject?
What do LEOs on the forum think of this?

Thank you for your opinions.
Just how do you know I am carrying because I would decide to wear a tee shirt that has something 2A on it ? Maybe someone wearing such a shirt gives a criminal pause ?

· Registered
85 Posts
I am pretty much gray man. Nothing political, religious or sports related at all. No camo or anything resembling military. Nothing regarding where I am from really. If I don't want to talk to someone I'll respond in a foreign language feigning English illiteracy. My beliefs are solely my own as I am not particularly tribal and that makes it all the more easier. Someone that knows or understands has nothing to prove to anyone or themselves.
My truck has no stickers at all.Except when hauling loads. I use magnetic signs. But it does have a full size light bar on top for hauling oversize loads. And the truck is the same color as Md State police. So guess what people think I am. So would open carry be a big deal ? For I wonder sometimes if I may not be a target for gang bangers looking to execute a LEO. By mistake though. I try to stay away from Moronland these days. But it is funny how many times I catch the middle finger from visiting liberals into my State. And my State you have to open carry if you're without a permit. So there arises another issue. Does your State require open carry, if you do not want to get a mother may I card ? I also have a $700.00 camera system (wi-fi) recording everything in a 360 degree view of my vehicle. At least it may help in the capture of said assassins or thieves. lol

· Registered
15,468 Posts
To me this is what it means to "make yourself a target" by wearing Gun Swag:

Guys here will say stuff like: "be alert, because crooks are watching , assessing & choosing victims" --------- okay, then what does a gun shirt say to an observant criminal? It suggests that the truck the dude got out of may have a stealable gun in it. So once that dude has walked far out of eyesight, it's time to bust in.

And to an even craftier criminal it means that a house where a Sig / NRA/ Buckmark, etc. stickered vehicle parks almost assuredly has guns to steal in it. Thus, when the vehicle has left, it's time to grab those guns.

It's not about guns, per se, or political / social conflict. It's about flaunting the possession of valuables to the general public.

Same thing as wearing a Rolex cap or carrying a zippered Bank Logo Cash Bag. ----------- Just NO.

· Registered
85 Posts
To me this is what it means to "make yourself a target" by wearing Gun Swag:

Guys here will say stuff like: "be alert, because crooks are watching , assessing & choosing victims" --------- okay, then what does a gun shirt say to an observant criminal? It suggests that the truck the dude got out of may have a stealable gun in it. So once that dude has walked far out of eyesight, it's time to bust in.

And to an even craftier criminal it means that a house where a Sig / NRA/ Buckmark, etc. stickered vehicle parks almost assuredly has guns to steal in it. Thus, when the vehicle has left, it's time to grab those guns.

It's not about guns, per se, or political / social conflict. It's about flaunting the possession of valuables to the general public.

Same thing as wearing a Rolex cap or carrying a zippered Bank Logo Cash Bag. ----------- Just NO.
To me it sounds like you all need better neighbors & neighborhoods. If wearing a tee shirt or Rolex gets you robbed. lol

· Registered
29,982 Posts
Ringolevio ---------- Re; Those Mercedes Shirt Dudes. I've had quite a few "fancy" brands. Lotus, Porsche, Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar, heck ----even a Ferrari 400i

But NO WAY did I EVER consider wearing a brand shirt or ball cap. It's just , to me, an embarrassingly cheesy thing to do. And the few times I've had Harley's I wore no Harley swag at all. But dang, I've seen a lot of guys & their women completely slathered in Harley D jackets, chain wallets, T Shirts, bandannas, & probably underwear.

Hey, whatever floats their innertube.
Probably hard to get a t-shirt for a 57 Mercury turnpike cruiser anyway huh Mag man?

· Registered
15,468 Posts
M1AIA ----------- Interesting thing that you said about living in an area where a Rolex or shirt gets you robbed. Yes, I do live in that area: It's Earth.

My particular neighborhood on this planet is very nice but we have have had creeps case our cars. Our last area (see Merc pics) was pretty decent too, but we had our share of scumbaggery there as well.

It's just how it is nearly everywhere. Even in the small rural towns of lesser-populated states there's local baddies, known to the cops, that do meth, oxycontin, and the thefts & crimes related to that garbage. That's why they HAVE cops ---------- and a jail there.

I've often seen posts here where people say "I keep a loaded gun at the ready in every room & an AR bedside" --------- But when I respond to those guys by saying that it would be wise to lock those up when they leave the house they respond with: "No need to, there's no burglars here"

No burglars? So the Gun At The Ready In Every Room is for.................. mice? Staying armed to that level is an admission that even your quaint Mayberry isn't perfect.

Look, all I'm saying is that we are armed, in part, to protect ourselves from criminals. And boasting one's possession of valuables to strangers is the opposite of protecting yourself.

101 - 120 of 193 Posts