1911Forum banner

"Advertising" you are pro 2A

5587 Views 192 Replies 86 Participants Last post by  Old Dog
I hope this is the correct forum for this. If not please move it.

My opinion and questions.

I am all about the 2nd Amendment first and foremost and I've been CCDW for a loooong time and believe in the Constitution.

I don't see the reason to go out in public wearing T-shirts, hats, etc., stating that you are carrying a firearm along with a message stating on some level that you are ready for a gunfight. Some of the shirts are funny and I own some. But I NEVER wear them outside the house. To me it just seems to be inviting conflict of some sort. The same with open carrying a sidearm when you go shopping, running around town. It just draws attention. Seems to me that it takes away your advantage if a situation arises.

What do y'all think on this subject?
What do LEOs on the forum think of this?

Thank you for your opinions.
141 - 160 of 193 Posts

· Registered
213 Posts
To further contribute to thread drift, it now appears that the 72-year-old, Chinese immigrant, Monterey Park shooter used a semi-automatic "MAC 10" (illegal in California for the last 30 years) with 30-round mags -- 42 shell casings recovered. One news story stated he'd been arrested in the past for firearms violations.
Yeeeeahh. Glad to see that Gun Control agenda working out real well.......NOT!!! Just keeps restricting Law Abiding Citizens the ability to defend ourselves against all enemies, foreign and domestic. Oh wait this is sounding familiar. Like an OATH to Defend our Constitution. I wish our elected officials would get that message loud and clear.
I would love to live in this woman’s district in Indiana

· Registered
15,472 Posts
I posted about how I don't "advertise" gun ownership with decals, hats, shirts, etc. However, a couple days ago ---breaking that rule---- I mentioned guns to a fellow who wanted one of my cars, but was waffling on price.

He's a mature gentleman who machines his own parts for his 1920's vintage cars. I sensed that he was a gun type guy & sure enough, he was. So he made up for his cash shortfall with a cool rifle.

Hooray! So that disclosure by me worked out very well. He just didn't seem to be the Mugger / Burglar type. But a Bootleg Moonshine Runner ?? ------------ maybe! :D

Anyhow, on those stats I published: They were NOT from news articles or media sites. I sourced them directly by searching out the data from aggregators both governmental & private. Try it, the State By State info is readily available. Ya just gotta put in a few minutes.

Now I understand people's hesitancy about statistics. Here's how to at least partially mitigate that doubt issue:

1. Search it out yourself, focusing on charts, graphs & lists then draw your OWN conclusions from them---- Stay the hell away from media pundits, talk show hosts, and editorials in political venues !

2. Make sure it's at least represented as impartial research by scholarly, private organizations & public entities. Say whatever ya want about BJS and the Census Bureau but their information gathering capabilities are massively superior to anyone else's. And NO, the entire US Government is not Liberal. If you are foil-hatted, then use older data from when whatever agency was run by a conservative. Under Trump too, if that helps. This stuff usually does not change year-to-year very much.

3. If data is available on Google Scholar it's likely accurate. It's a search engine that ONLY features Peer-Reviewed content. So it's reliability qualifies for citing in college level research papers.

4. Accept that if a statistic doesn't match your thoughts on the subject, it does NOT mean that the stat is corrupt.

· Registered
14,686 Posts
I love the natural terrain of California. I've had countless enjoyable weekends in CA.

But the liberal, anti-gun, anti-Constitution CA government, which probably sits in power only via decades of illegal immigration, which ultimately turns into votes by later generations, is not something that's all that great.

Foolish me, I still prefer the Founding Father's favoring of a sufficiently armed citizenry...to defend against adversaries other than squirrels.

· Registered
62 Posts
Nobody seemed to notice.
I live 5 blocks from the western Detroit city line.
Around here nobody would notice what clothes you're wearing or that you're carrying, if it is even sloppily concealed. Strangers don't pay that close of attention to one another.

However, open carry is another thing altogether. That would get me noticed and none of the ways it would get me noticed are ones that I would prefer to deal with if I don't have to.

· Registered
14,686 Posts
I live 5 blocks from the western Detroit city line.
Around here nobody would notice what clothes you're wearing or that you're carrying, if it is even sloppily concealed. Strangers don't pay that close of attention to one another.

However, open carry is another thing altogether. That would get me noticed and none of the ways it would get me noticed are ones that I would prefer to deal with if I don't have to.
Very wise...you've become closely aware of your surroundings. +1911.

· Registered
85 Posts
I posted about how I don't "advertise" gun ownership with decals, hats, shirts, etc. However, a couple days ago ---breaking that rule---- I mentioned guns to a fellow who wanted one of my cars, but was waffling on price.

He's a mature gentleman who machines his own parts for his 1920's vintage cars. I sensed that he was a gun type guy & sure enough, he was. So he made up for his cash shortfall with a cool rifle.

Hooray! So that disclosure by me worked out very well. He just didn't seem to be the Mugger / Burglar type. But a Bootleg Moonshine Runner ?? ------------ maybe! :D

Anyhow, on those stats I published: They were NOT from news articles or media sites. I sourced them directly by searching out the data from aggregators both governmental & private. Try it, the State By State info is readily available. Ya just gotta put in a few minutes.

Now I understand people's hesitancy about statistics. Here's how to at least partially mitigate that doubt issue:

1. Search it out yourself, focusing on charts, graphs & lists then draw your OWN conclusions from them---- Stay the hell away from media pundits, talk show hosts, and editorials in political venues !

2. Make sure it's at least represented as impartial research by scholarly, private organizations & public entities. Say whatever ya want about BJS and the Census Bureau but their information gathering capabilities are massively superior to anyone else's. And NO, the entire US Government is not Liberal. If you are foil-hatted, then use older data from when whatever agency was run by a conservative. Under Trump too, if that helps. This stuff usually does not change year-to-year very much.

3. If data is available on Google Scholar it's likely accurate. It's a search engine that ONLY features Peer-Reviewed content. So it's reliability qualifies for citing in college level research papers.

4. Accept that if a statistic doesn't match your thoughts on the subject, it does NOT mean that the stat is corrupt.
That's the whole problem. It doesn't change much from year to year. Even though we know it does. Yeah 3 million illegals for 4 decades. While they strolled across our borders for 4 decades. I suppose after a while they are no longer illegal. At least till after they get a drivers license. And look ay NY & Cali not prosecuting crimes. How many of them are in those numbers ? LMAO

· Premium Member
273 Posts
Pretty much agree with the original post. I would only add that one not incessantly brag about what is in your safe and how much ammo you have. Liberals truly do not understand much about the normal world and are horrified by such claims and will yell and scream about you being a nut case to the local LE. So my response is NOYFB!!

· Premium Member
273 Posts
I honestly think some days a person could open carry a giant sword like Highlander and not get noticed. The other day at the supermarket I was nearly run over by a woman looking down at her phone pushing a shopping cart. On the way out of the store saw two grown men nearly walk into posts cause they were looking at iphones. I am amazed how such inattentive people survived puberty.

On the subject of stickers, etc: I enjoy seeing 2a themed stickers on cars it makes me feel like I am surrounded by normal responsible people :) But, I recall when I lived in NJ I had, in my youth, such a sticker. It said "when guns are outlawed only the outlaws who work for the gov;t will have them". I got pulled over by a cop one night, cant even remember what for, this was the late 90s, but they saw the bumper sticker and said "the outlaws who work for the gov't? Hey that's us." They were not amused. That said, no one pulls over a 40-year old in a station wagon like they do college kids, i no longer worry about that.

Aside from a few mt. bike themed stickers, my vehicle is bare, save one tiny "do not tread on me" flag. I do not want any gun brand stickers on it as i fear it might encourage break ins and I could do without a busted window.
Too bad the LEOs did not have a sense of humor about that sticker. Most LEOs I know have the same opinions about guns that all of us on this forum do. When I had my shop I would talk with local LE and ATF liaison about confiscation most just laughed and claimed it would never happen, and when pressed they said they would never participate. The ATF guys said they would walk away. Based on your story guess not all COP Shops are the same.

· Registered
1,150 Posts
Too bad the LEOs did not have a sense of humor about that sticker. Most LEOs I know have the same opinions about guns that all of us on this forum do. When I had my shop I would talk with local LE and ATF liaison about confiscation most just laughed and claimed it would never happen, and when pressed they said they would never participate. The ATF guys said they would walk away. Based on your story guess not all COP Shops are the same.
To be fair it was in the 1990s in a small college town... in NJ :)
I have known many cool cops.

· Registered
23 Posts
I believe flying stealth is best. Why look for a fight.

A while back I was crossing a street in Minneapolis. A young man had a shirt on that was pro-abortion. I thought why would you do that. I also thought if I had a shirt on that espoused euthanizing puppies was correct I bet I would have been arrested. I would never do such a thing but it is OK to state abortion is good.

keeping one’s position statements to yourself is best.

· Registered
1,150 Posts
Someone stated that so many firearms owners keep things on the down low that we are perceived as far less numerous than we are.
I tend to agree with that.
While I am not about to plaster my car with gun stickers, for concern of a busted window, I think more and more people should speak out, and loudly. When the subject comes up, i do. The reason we have gotten to the point where so many see 'gun control' as a mere policy discussion rather than a violation of rights and crime against humanity is because one side is very loud and politically active, and the other does tend to 'hide in the shadows'. Both sides have their professional advocates and lobbyists, but with a few exceptions, the antigunners seem to have a lot more rank and file people willing to speak out. This may be illusionary and based on their capture of the media, or because they tend to loud and obnoxious by nature, but the observation remains.

I would love to see a time come in this country where when politicians are uncomfortable suggesting violating people's rights. This can be a function of the awareness that there are more of us, in a way.

· Registered
5,827 Posts
I hope this is the correct forum for this. If not please move it.

My opinion and questions.

I am all about the 2nd Amendment first and foremost and I've been CCDW for a loooong time and believe in the Constitution.

I don't see the reason to go out in public wearing T-shirts, hats, etc., stating that you are carrying a firearm along with a message stating on some level that you are ready for a gunfight. Some of the shirts are funny and I own some. But I NEVER wear them outside the house. To me it just seems to be inviting conflict of some sort. The same with open carrying a sidearm when you go shopping, running around town. It just draws attention. Seems to me that it takes away your advantage if a situation arises.

What do y'all think on this subject?
What do LEOs on the forum think of this?

Thank you for your opinions.
I agree with you on all counts. Not good to paint yourself a target of ridicule, insult, and harassment from other people and the LEOs.

· Registered
6,740 Posts
Someone stated that so many firearms owners keep things on the down low that we are perceived as far less numerous than we are.
I tend to agree with that.
While I am not about to plaster my car with gun stickers, for concern of a busted window, I think more and more people should speak out, and loudly. When the subject comes up, i do. The reason we have gotten to the point where so many see 'gun control' as a mere policy discussion rather than a violation of rights and crime against humanity is because one side is very loud and politically active, and the other does tend to 'hide in the shadows'. Both sides have their professional advocates and lobbyists, but with a few exceptions, the antigunners seem to have a lot more rank and file people willing to speak out. This may be illusionary and based on their capture of the media, or because they tend to loud and obnoxious by nature, but the observation remains.

I would love to see a time come in this country where when politicians are uncomfortable suggesting violating people's rights. This can be a function of the awareness that there are more of us, in a way.

I agree with you. The 'hiding in the shadows' bit was my comment and I stand by it. We're so good at 'hiding' that hiding is all we know how to do now.

Funny thing, but the loony left contingent that is so vocal and so aggressive when it comes to advocating for the infringement of rights and for control over others is actually a relatively small group. Their impact, real or perceived, is nowhere near commensurate with their numbers. However, they are a driven, persistent, loud, and unafraid lot. Historically, this is how it has always been for the 'left' and, if history holds true, they will likely get their way yet again.

I've said many times that we on the right lack effective leadership. It's not just at the political party level either. It's organizational as well. Take the NRA for example. There is zero leadership there. There's no one to galvanize a movement, much less unify our own fractured ranks. None of the smaller orgs can fill the void either. I believe our demographic is no longer feared by the political class. So, in the end, it comes back to us, and we can't see the forest for the trees - because we're hiding behind the trees.

As for me personally, if wearing an NRA shirt or Colt cap marks me as a target for ridicule, so be it. In the end, you either stand for something, or you become part of the problem.

· Registered
6,740 Posts
When I took my CC class in TN years ago and about 40% of the class was female. An East TN woman is not the face of the NRA, but pull a pistol in Walmart and see what happens.
Maybe an east TN woman should be the face of the NRA. Hell, nothing else seems to be working for us!!

Lobbyists tend to do what they do for the money more so than out of some sort of personal conviction. This is far too serious an issue to be left in the hands of overly-polished, pricey-suit wearing, belt-way-inbred mercenaries. If anyone believes that WLP is actually a 'gun guy' then they likely also believe that Biden received 90 million votes - and there's no helping those folks. I'll trade all of those people at the helm of the NRA for folks with a heartfelt belief in America, and in the Constitution, and in what's right. If that turns out to be a mother from east TN, then she has my full backing.

· Registered
15,472 Posts
havanajim---------------- Yes, some Conservatives will assume that anyone Left Of Center is a Woke Pro Choice BLM Rioter.

And some Liberals will assume that anyone Right Of Center is a MAGA-Hatted Gun-Toting January 6 Rioter.

When the REAL truth is that probably less that 1% of Americans have ever attended a protest , much less a riot. Heck, a lot of people cannot be bothered to vote at all !

So we, quite obviously, are NOT "hyper polarized" as a nation. Hyper Indifferent maybe, but not polarized or on the "brink of Civil War" by any stretch. It's just that the screamers & yellers that get the attention.

Most folks do not align themselves entirely with the right or left anyhow. They have opinions that can be interpreted as Red, Blue, and Middle.

Hence the large number of Independents..

· Registered
14,686 Posts
havanajim---------------- Yes, some Conservatives will assume that anyone Left Of Center is a Woke Pro Choice BLM Rioter.

And some Liberals will assume that anyone Right Of Center is a MAGA-Hatted Gun-Toting January 6 Rioter.

When the REAL truth is that probably less that 1% of Americans have ever attended a protest , much less a riot. Heck, a lot of people cannot be bothered to vote at all !

So we, quite obviously, are NOT "hyper polarized" as a nation. Hyper Indifferent maybe, but not polarized or on the "brink of Civil War" by any stretch. It's just that the screamers & yellers that get the attention.

Most folks do not align themselves entirely with the right or left anyhow. They have opinions that can be interpreted as Red, Blue, and Middle.

Hence the large number of Independents..
This time, I agree with you. (And even when not in agreement, I still like your posts) . +1911.

Reactions: Bwompuss
141 - 160 of 193 Posts