1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to my advancing decrepitude, I am beginning to shoot Precision Rifle Matches. Due to the cost of factory ammo and the experience I had rolling my own with my 30-06 hunting rifle, I want to get a new press and start reloading 300 Win Mag. I have narrowed the choice to 2, Lee or RCBS I want a single stage press as I wont need to load 300rds a day. Please let me know your opinions.

Thanks

·
Registered
160 Posts
I second that. I like RCBS presses but prefer Hornady dies. I have the RCBS turret press myself and find it more convenient than a single stage.

·
Registered
908 Posts
The RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme kit is a great starting set up. I just used mine tonight to load some .357 cartridges. Works good for .308 and .243 as well.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
I use a Lee single stage for my 223 loadings but with RCBS dies. Lee dies just didn't give me the performance I wanted.

·
Registered
23,529 Posts
I have been using a single stage press since I started loading.

This was almost five years ago. I have no plans to use anything else in the foreseeable future. Back then Hornady had a really good promotion going on with their "Lock and Load" set up with some good bullet freebies. This worked out well for this beginner loader and has been working well ever since with some subsequent equipment upgrades.

I do not know if they are still offering the promotional deals or not. But I would check it out.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Ya just can't go wrong with a good ol' RCBS Rock Chucker , Redding Boss-series , Pacific/Hornady 007 , Lyman Crusher.

I see used Rock Chuckers in shops for under $100.

·
Registered
135 Posts
If you go with Lee get the Classic Cast single stage it's a lot better made than their standard press, I've been loading for precision rifle for 5 years with one using Redding competition dies. You can buy the kit for less than 200.00 from Midsouth but I've replaced most of it with better equipment.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Not trying to muddy the water, but I'm curious as to why you ruled out the hornady classic? I've no experience with the lee or rcbs, but at $249 for the hornady classic kit + 500 bullets it seems like a pretty good deal. I just picked one up so i could have a dedicated press & powder drop for 308. Of course I already have a LnL progressive so the bushing system makes a lot of sense for me already.

·
Premium Member
14,685 Posts
Pretty easy choice between the two....RCBS
(I'm not anti Lee either and have plenty of Lee dies)

Just that RCBS is a better press (imHo)

Truth is though, if I was to buy a single stage press, it would be the Hornady .
Don't consider any better than the RCBS (I think they're both equal and both will last you and your kids lifetime)

Just simply prefer the quick change bushing set up on the Hornady

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks All, quess I better get to checking out the Hornady press before I make the decision.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Also take a look at Forster CO-AX and the RCBS Summit presses. The Summit becomes almost as user friendly as the CO-AX with the addition of the Hornady LNL bushing.

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
One last vote for the RCBS, I use Lee progressive presses, but the RCBS O ring for 44 mag rifle etc.

·
Registered
14,933 Posts
Probably RCBS by a landslide. Since I already have two Dillon 650s, I'd probably just load 'em on one of them, even though I do have a Rock Chucker.

·
Premium Member
5,370 Posts
Pretty easy choice between the two....RCBS
(I'm not anti Lee either and have plenty of Lee dies)

Just that RCBS is a better press (imHo)

Truth is though, if I was to buy a single stage press, it would be the Hornady .
Don't consider any better than the RCBS (I think they're both equal and both will last you and your kids lifetime)

Just simply prefer the quick change bushing set up on the Hornady

..L.T.A.
I have the Hornady and I love it. I like that I can use just about any other manufacture dies in it. Not that Hornady has bad dies, but I like verity and the ability to choose.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just to muddy the waters here, for the simplicity and precision of a single-stage but with the convenience and repeatability of not having to swap out dies, take a look at the Redding T-7. Great press IMO.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Neither are a bad choice. I have a Lee single stage and load everything from 243 to 7mm STW with it. IMHO, the dies are more important. Redding dies have served me well for the precision rounds I load, although I use a wide variety of die brands.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I'm surprised the Forster Co-ax hasn't been recommended more. It's expensive but sure takes the displeasure out of single stage reloading.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts