1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm posting this really on behalf of my shooting buddy who is having issues w/his .40 SW Fusion. He doesn't spend any time on the message boards, but I'm trying to help him w/his issue because I'm feeling badly that I pressed him on having a Fusion built for him after all the success I've had w/my 2 (in .45 ACP) and the fact that he fell in love w/them when he saw mine.

As it stands, he's not been able to fire through a single magazine in its entirety w/o a jam (2 trips to the range, using 4 separate Metalform magazines each trip). Each of the magazines in questions were the "Metalform" mags he ordered from Fusion when he purchased the pistol.

The 1st time at the range, he had rounds that were jamming nose-up (about a 45 degree angle) into the feed ramp...I guess at the barrel hood area? From what I recall, sometimes this was while other rounds were in the magazine, but almost always when it was the last round in the magazine. This happened with every magazine...

Upon inspection of the magazine, after loading them to capacity, I saw it was very easy to "tip up" the top round...it barely required any effort and in fact, you could tap the bottom of the magazine with your hand, and the top round would "tip up"...nose up from the magazine, as though the feed lips weren't providing enough force to keep the rounds in.

In disgust, he put the pistol away for the day and shot his Glock.

He returned those magazines to Bob w/o any issue whatsoever, as was expected due to their great service, etc. Bob replaced those "Metalform" mags, with 4 new ones. One thing I notice w/these mags is that they don't seem to be the smoothest functioning magazines in the world as I'm used to Wilson ETM (.45 acp) and Tripp Research "Cobra Mags" (for my 9mm STI). Especially so with the LAST ROUND....there looks to be a "dimple" on the follower itself, which the last round get's "hung up" on...if you force the last round out w/your finger, yeah, it will come out of the magazine....but definitely requires some extra effort...not smooth, etc.

When he got the 4 new replacement magazines from Bob (just a few days ago), he called me over and we loaded them up and noticed that one of them wouldn't allow more than 3 rounds to be loaded!? The follower was getting stuck in the body...no matter how hard I tried to get another round in....still no-go. So we just set that one aside and he said he'd return that one. The other 3, I was able to load up to capacity, put into the pistol, and hand-cycle the slide, ejecting each of them no problem, until empty.

We took the Fusion to the range again yesterday, with the 3 functioning magazines....and right from the get-go...1 of them was jamming again, cartridge "nose-up" into the barrel/hood....so we put that one down after trying a few times. The other 2....jammed on the last round attempting to be stripped from the magazine again!?

I've never run into any issues like this in any of my 1911's, much less my Fusions which absolutely run 100% for hundreds and hundreds of rounds. My questions are:

1. Has anyone ever experienced what I'm describing above?
2. Does this sound like a magazine issue to you? To me it does, but I'm by no means an expert on 1911's or their function, etc, etc. I only buy and shoot them:rock:

...I just feel so bad because even though he's not implying such...I feel bad that his experience w/his prized possession Fusion has gone like this so far and I'm the one that steered him in this direction, etc.

In the meantime, I purchased him for Christmas, a 10-round Tripp Research Cobra Mag that I hope will get this thing running smoothly.

Any help would be appreciated and thank so much, in advance!!!

·
Registered
390 Posts
3 Fusions here - no probs.

Give this a try though - it worked for me on a pistola from another manuf.

Swap out one of your slide stops & put in his forty. Test that with his good mags & see what happens - might be just a simple slide stop fix,

Good luck,

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
3 Fusions here - no probs.

Give this a try though - it worked for me on a pistola from another manuf.

Swap out one of your slide stops & put in his forty. Test that with his good mags & see what happens - might be just a simple slide stop fix,

Good luck,

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
i'd send it to bob along with the type of ammo you are running.

i'd fully expect fusion to fix things.no use you monkeying around with a gun that dosent function.maybe bob will send you a fedex label so shipping is free?
if not maybe find out what ammo they tested the gun with and try that
pete

·
Registered
754 Posts
Is he running reloads or factory ammo?

If he reloads anything fired from a glock they WILL NOT chamber....beware of the "Glock belly" the cases need to be fully resized down to the rim.

I had the same problem you describe with a Fusion Grand Sport KIT in .40 I built for a buddy, Again I have the exact same pistol in .45 and it has functioned flawlessly since day one. On recommendation I smoothed the feed ramp radius going in to the chamber and that helped allot, it got to where it would feed factory fmj all day long but not lead SWC reloads it would still jam frequently. So I continued working on it with a extra fine cratex cylinder only taking off a tiny bit at a time, after a few more trips to the range for testing it was steadily getting better with the LSWC reloads. honestly what finally got the reloads feeding right was loading them to a longer OAL. I did some looking over on Brian Eno's forum and found that allot of guys reload .40 long from 1.17 to 1.2 for feeding reliability it's much longer than spec at 1.135 but works very well, we settled on 1.185 and have not had any malfunctions since.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is he running reloads or factory ammo?

If he reloads anything fired from a glock they WILL NOT chamber....beware of the "Glock belly" the cases need to be fully resized down to the rim.

I had the same problem you describe with a Fusion Grand Sport KIT in .40 I built for a buddy, Again I have the exact same pistol in .45 and it has functioned flawlessly since day one. On recommendation I smoothed the feed ramp radius going in to the chamber and that helped allot, it got to where it would feed factory fmj all day long but not lead SWC reloads it would still jam frequently. So I continued working on it with a extra fine cratex cylinder only taking off a tiny bit at a time, after a few more trips to the range for testing it was steadily getting better with the LSWC reloads. honestly what finally got the reloads feeding right was loading them to a longer OAL. I did some looking over on Brian Eno's forum and found that allot of guys reload .40 long from 1.17 to 1.2 for feeding reliability it's much longer than spec at 1.135 but works very well, we settled on 1.185 and have not had any malfunctions since.
Ah, sorry....i should have specified. All this time, he's been using Blazer Brass FMJ 180gr....no reloads.

Man, I'm (and I know he is) really hoping that this is a magazine issue and NOT an issue with the functioning of the pistol. I know if he has to resort to sending it back to Bob..it's just going to leave a bad taste in his mouth being that it hasn't gotten through a single magazine w/o jamming thus far:barf:

·
Registered
754 Posts
Maybe try a couple other brands of ammo, can't hurt. but everything I have found out about .40S&W 1911's is they are finicky to get running but one you get them running they are great.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ah, OK....we picked up some Winchester White Box FMJ ammo on the way home from the range, 155 gr if I remember right (I don't shoot .40)...so I'm sure the next time we go, We'll have the Cobra mag from Tripp as well as the different ammo. I also think he's going to try to score some of Wilson's new .40SW magazines for 1911's....finger's crossed.

Thanks again for everyone's help so far. Any other suggestions/advice are surely welcome.

·
Registered
322 Posts
The ammo may be the key here. We test fire with Federal, Remington, Winchester and had no issues with this gun before we shipped it.

Hopefully the Winchester will feed and extract properly for you.

Let us know and we'll be happy to help!

Dale.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The ammo may be the key here. We test fire with Federal, Remington, Winchester and had no issues with this gun before we shipped it.

Hopefully the Winchester will feed and extract properly for you.

Let us know and we'll be happy to help!

Dale.
Wow, great news, Dale and thanks very much for posting a follow-up. It is truly appreciated.

He and I will head to the range after Christmas along w/the Winchester...I did happen to notice that the profile of the bullets in those Blazers aren't true ROUND NOSE like the 9mm Blazer that I frequently use (in non-Fusion pistols) and have a square nose that kind of narrows quickly after the case mouth, etc. This might be why they aren't really being held in the magazine very well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts