1911Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got a NRM Colt Commander in blue (O4691), and there are two mods I'd like advice on before I start.

First, I'd like to replace the hammer with something with a more traditional look. My two candidates are the John Masen wide-spur hammer (#4555) and the EMC wide-spur hammer. The advantage of the Masen is price, about half the EMC. However, I've heard the EMC is better quality material and fit. Then again, I've also heard the EMC tends more to hammer bite. Any advice on which of these two (or another, similar type) would be better is appreciated.

Second, I'd like to replace the grip safety with a King's #203 (wide, downswept tail). I figure it would give more protection from hammer bite without looking like the standard beavertail. However, the description says it fits government frames, but it says nothing about commander frames. If that's because of the standard commander hammer, then would I be okay by switching to a different hammer? If it's because of some other reason ... I'm not sure what to do.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
My solution to hammer bite with standard grip safties (safeties melted to remove sharp edges):

Commander hammer for a traditional Commander look

EMC spur hammer bobbed. The EMC hammer was deadly out of the box. Left a nice scar on my hand. Two minutes with a grinding wheel, file, and sand paper cured the problem.

Yost-Bonitz spur hammer

1 - 2 of 2 Posts