1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking this table from Harbor Freight will work well in a small home office area of my house.

https://www.harborfreight.com/adjustable-height-heavy-duty-workstation-46725.html

This will be used for a Square Deal B.

I plan to secure the table top the the wall studs as well. And maybe change out the top MDF piece to solid wood.

I need something that is not like the typical "2x4 work bench" because the wife has graciously given me the ok to move from garage to indoors :)

I promised her I'll buy a Dillon cover as well and keep all other stuff (tumbler/media, tools, etc) in garage. Primers & powder stay in a closet indoors (out of her sight).

Any other ideas ??? Maybe something a little better to use?

We have a spare bedroom I plan to takeover in another year or so.. but we have our daughter temporarily living with us again.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Search Workmate on Craigslist in your area, they will work and will be dirt cheap.

I have one of these that I like even better.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200700133_200700133

When we were kids my Brother and I kept out presses mounted to 4x4 wood blocks, would clamp them to our Fathers bench vise for use and put them back in our closet when we were done.
The link is only bringing me to the home page. Which product is it exactly?

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ahh ok.. yeah the workmate is not wife friendly. She won't go for that style

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Ahh ok.. yeah the workmate is not wife friendly. She won't go for that style
Whatever you get, make sure you are able to anchor the front down. The primer seating occurs while pushing forward. You could either add weight or bolt it down.

·
Registered
6,350 Posts
20X20 is pretty small but if you will only have one SDB it will work. Screw both the top and bottom to the wall to provide strength and stability.

Cheers,

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Sorry about that fixed the link but it’s this one.

Keter Folding Work Table with Two Adjustable Clamps, 1000-Lb. Capacity, Model #17182239

The point would be to get it out, use it, then put it back up.

My SD’s are over 30 years old now and didn’t seem to have the priming leverage I needed so I adopted a technique where I palm the ball and squeeze the primers into the pocket using two fingers on the primer tube blast shield.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry about that fixed the link but it’s this one.

Keter Folding Work Table with Two Adjustable Clamps, 1000-Lb. Capacity, Model #17182239

The point would be to get it out, use it, then put it back up.

My SD’s are over 30 years old now and didn’t seem to have the priming leverage I needed so I adopted a technique where I palm the ball and squeeze the primers into the pocket using two fingers on the primer tube blast shield.

Thanks for the tip :)

I plan to keep my press and table out.. wife is cool about it. Lol. I think she sees my frustration of not reloading all summer due to excessive heat in the garage. Or having to wait til late at night after everything cooled off.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Stack-On made a really nice compact reloading bench.. was all set to order it but it appears to have been discontinued. Such a bummer... My wife had even approved the purchase. Haha

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I have one of those HF work tables in my shop for my drill press. Not the most robust table, but if you secure the top to the wall solidly, it'll work fine (might have to figger out an acceptable way as the bottom/legs are wider than the top). I think the height is OK for sitting while reloading, as mine doesn't go high enough to use a press while standing...

While not as permanent as you want, but for me was very useful I used a Workmate before I had a place for a solid, built in bench;

Attachments

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
============
I have 3 old SD presses and I felt they did not have the priming leverage either.
My solution was to fabricate a shovel handle that increased the length of throw.
I don't think pulling on the primer blast shield is a good thing. It's not very sturdy.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
I don't think pulling on the primer blast shield is a good thing. It's not very sturdy.
That’s what I thought 34 years ago when I started using that technique, hasn’t broke yet though. It is one of the few steel parts on the press.

Might even be easier on the press than shoving, as I have read about more than a few broken SD handles but I haven’t had that problem with either of mine.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Another thought- if you have a good solid desk, you can mount the SD on a piece of 2x12, put a towel on the desk top, and clamp the 2x12 to the desk top. Works well for me.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
At Harbor Freight ...offers many more options...for storing small reloading tools/manuals...https://www.harborfreight.com/60-in-4-drawer-hardwood-workbench-63395.html

mount press to a wooden "T"....and use end clamp to mount press to table.....remove and store press with its mount on the bottom shelf

cover with a spare table cloth/blanket....
This is a nice set up, providing you have 60” of wall space. I think you would be far happier down the road. And you’ll have room to add a second press with ease. One for small primers, and one for large. Best of luck!!

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Nothing like being King in your own castle.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Way back when my brothers and I were all apartment dwellers. A black and decker workmate provided the base for many reloads. Years later a yard sale microwave cart became the loading bench with a few cinderblocks on the bottom for weight.

Fast foward 30 years and now I have the basement to myself with a proper bench and just upgraded led lights.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts