1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided, after a long time of pondering, to have my favorite gunsmith build a Commander-sized 9x19mm for me.

I plan to use a Caspian slide and frame and either Brown or Wilson small parts along with Heinie sights.

I have a couple of questions, though.

1. I plan on using a bull barrel for the gun. What are all of the makers of bull barrels out there? I've made due with Bar-sto and Kart in the past but I wouldn't mind looking farther afield.

2. I hear a lot of people saying that they have problems out of 9x19mm 1911's but a group of acquaintances shoot custom 9x19mm 1911's all the time without problems. I won't be using the same gunsmith as they use, though, and can't benefit from his expertise for a variety of reasons. Anyone have anything that I should be aware of going into the project? I trust my favorite gunsmith with the project but he freely admits that his experience with that caliber in a 1911 is very limited.

Please keep in mind that I don't want to hear preaching about how JMB designed the 1911 for the .45 ACP and how it should be in 5" length rather than 4 1/4" and all of the other stuff that I often read in threads like this. I'm not asking for anyone's opinion of my choices but am asking for expertise and experience with the building and shooting of a 9x19 1911.

·
Super Moderator
13,559 Posts
I like your choice of frame and slide, Caspian make really nice ones.

Here is a Shuemann cone barrel that John Harrison of Precision Gun Works used in his personal Colt LW Commander (.45ACP).

·
Super Moderator
13,559 Posts

This one started life as a Colt Enhanced. Now it's a 9x23 and also fitted with a 9mm barrel, both using Kart barrels with bushings.
I hope Mr. Farscott doesn't mind me using his pics, it's been posted here before though.

hdm25,
Good luck in your blaster. I can't wait to see the finished product. My friend John Harrison is getting ready to start one similar to yours for his customer, Caspian Commander slide, Caspian Titanium frame, Kart 9mm ramped barrel and various Wilson and Ed Brown parts.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I'm putting together a Officers size 9mm on Caspian frame/slide. I ordered a barrel from Wil Schuemann, mainly due the slide I'm using which is cut for a bushed barrel but I wanted to use a ramped bull barrel. Wil makes just what I needed, bull barrel with an extra ring or "nub" as he calls it to take up the space where the bushing should be. This is the first time I'll be using a Schuemann barrel but know of several people who have them and are very happy with them.

·
Banned
1,342 Posts
The Commander was actually designed around the 9mm para cartridge. I would suggest not using a bull barrel as this gun will not kick one bita nd you don't need the help in delaying unlocking-and you won't be able to shoot it in IDPA....

The extractor tension and magazines are the most important considerations. I find that non-ramped barrels also feed better with the short OAL.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Yeah, a bull barrel for 9x19 would be major overkill. Now, the bull barrel on my 10mm is pure sweetness to shoot. :D

Another vote for Schuemann, by the way.

·
Registered
541 Posts
had a box stock 9mm colt commander....no problems at all....I was stupid to get rid of it!!!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts