1911Forum banner

Advice on buying pistol for IDPA

3K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  RH45 
#1 ·
New to the thread so bare with me.

I'm looking to start shooting in IDPA. Can someone give me some advice on which 1911 is the best for the money. Since money being the key word lets leave out anything that cost over 1000.00. I would like to hear from someone who has really done their home work (shot several thousand rounds through the pistol they will be recomending and maybe even compared different ones.) and not just making comments.
Thanks for the help.

#2 ·
Springfields arent bad. Soften up some of the sharp edges and they make good shooters.

If I was to buy an off the shelf 1911, I would order a STI Trojan or a Spartan from Brazos Custom or Dawson Precision. They go through them and work out any major bugs so you dont have to.

#4 ·
Thanks

Looking at STI's web site I noticed that there is a big difference in price. The Trojan around $1000.00 and the Spartan around $660.00. Does any one know why? I like the fo front sight on the Spartan so if there's not a big difference I think I would go with the Spartan.

#5 ·
Whatever you do... get a 5" 1911 for maximum reliability, ballistics and sight radius. Tom Freeman is spot on.... Dawson or Brazos can go through STI guns and mags for you.

The STI Spartan is has an Armscor slide made in Phillipines but the gun is assembled in USA. The Spartan is a sort of rough handgun with the features many of us like: adjustable sights, beavertail, a decent barrel and a decent trigger. It's kind of rough but they seem to break in pretty nice. The three of them I have been around were all pretty good shooters and well worth the $. Wilson mags run great in them. $500-$625

The STI Trojan has many more features. Thin grips, high cut, Frontstrap treatment, full length guide rod, ambi safety, flat top slide, leaf cut adjustable sights, front serrations, a decent mechanism and a match grade barrel. I have yet to see one that didn't shoot exceptionally well. I don't happen to like the fully supported barrels on them but they work if you take care of the feed ramp and keep it polished. The 9mm version is tremendously accurate with FMJ ammo and the gun is a joy to shoot. Metalform mags work best with them. $1000

Kimber Custom II's are pretty good guns. Much has been written of their accuracy and it seems most everyone has a Kimber nowadays. The basic model seems to work great. Might need a different slide release and safety. The Match Target is a nice gun with many of the same features as a Trojan for about the same price. There are 2 Match Target 9mm's at our club and they run okay but you need to feed them with good mags... Metalform only.

I'm not too impressed by the Dan Wesson guns. They seem pretty finicky but they do shoot good and they have a substantial following.

If it was me, I would shell out the extra few dollars for a Wilson CQB or a Cylinder & Slide R&D gun. A used Wilson is easily found on GA or GB for $1700 and the C&S gun is a marvelously crafted piece for $1700 direct from C&S. By going this route, you will spend more money but the product is much better than any of the above mentioned guns. Wilson backs up 1911 with their name on it and C&S has a fine reputation.

Here's my vote:http://www.gunsamerica.com/976979303/Guns/Pistols/Wilson-Combat-Pistols/CQB.htm

#10 ·
The STI Spartan is has an Armscor slide made in Phillipines but the gun is assembled in USA. QUOTE]

That's close. The slide, frame and barrel are Armscor. The "guts" are STI. They are assembled in the Philipines then shipped here where STI's QC guys go through them.

#6 ·
What works for me may not work for you and vice versa. But I started IDPA competition in CDP division with a Taurus PT1911. So far a great gun and a cheap way for me to start up in CDP division. The trigger has broken in well and it feeds my lousy reloads, it has never jammed in competition. What doesn't work for me are any of the high grip beavertails, even the ones with the hump on them. My hands are just not shaped right. What I am using now is a mostly stock Colt S80 1911. The stock grip safety always works with whatever grip I get in a hurry.

#7 ·
The 3 best buys IMO are:
1. RIA Tactical $429
2. Kimber $650-$850
3. Les Baer PII $1400
Pick your poison. I have multiple Kimbers and a RIA Tactical. My Rock groups just as well as my Kimbers. I do not know if all of them will, but mine shoots 2" groups at 25 yds.
That being said I have never seen an inaccurate Kimber. The one I bought yesterday put 5 rounds into 1 1/2" @ 25 yds today. Guess I have owned 10+ Kimbers.
I don't care for Springfields. Just a personal thing.
If funds are very tight go with the Rock.
Feel free to PM me and I will tell you what I don't like about SA guns. I don't want to start a war here. I have been doing this for a long time.

#9 ·
gear goodies

While I'll just jump in to say a Kimber (ditto superior accuracy) or S&W (just all-around nice) or Springfield (a bit rougher, but superb service, and a great base for further customizing) can make a great choice, you need some gear, too.

I noticed Blade-Tech offers injection-molded holsters for $17.95 on their site; that is one smokin' deal.

Ammo?
Buy lowest-on-the-price-ladder and work UPWARD in price until your performance parameters get met.
But never trade anything, I mean anything at all, for reliable function, because "First it must go bang".

#12 ·
I just started IDPA last fall and got hooked to it. It is a lot of fun! I got a Kimber Super Match 2 and if you can stretch out your budget to around $1700 then just order a brand new SM2. It is very accurate for competition. Use a good magazine like the Wilson 47D for 8 rounders.

Enjoy and have fun shooting!

#13 ·
Research Is in Order

I would seriously do some heavy research from this forum where you can read from owners of some of the high priced guns and thier problems. I have owned many 1911's, and my adivce is to just research this forum as well as the Brian Enos forums. My last 1911 purchase was a S&W 1911, whom at the time were making most of the castings for the Kimber company. It really could have been any 1911, as it was a base gun for EGW to work on. I paid $700 for it and had EGW work thier magic for about $900. This included barrel fitment (stock barrel was match grade), EGW hardened sear, trigger job, replacement of some small parts to a solid material rather than mim, front strap checkering. Thats the way I did it and the results are positive. If I were going to spend anymore than $1700, I would hire a professional gunsmith to build me a 1911 from scratch.

#14 ·
My opinion

I have slightly more than several thousand rounds through my gun. I am pushing 45k through a LB Concept V plus dry fire drills. Now it is a 1800 gun, but, other than some comp mods (square trigger, magwell, FO front sight and a broken extractor) I have nothing else in the gun. Yeah its expensive to buy, but that many rounds through it to me justifies the cost. Oh and it is ABSOLUTELY reliable.

Having said the same, my backup gun is a $400 Colt 1991-A1 that is bone stock. It probably has 6000 rounds through it, and it is absolutely reliable as well.

IMO buy the best, you wont regret it, or feel the need to replace it for the newest widget.

#16 ·
Dan Wesson

My Dan Wesson wasn't any more finicky as my Glocks, they get that way when you start swapping in parts here and there. I had issues when I intially started reloading for it, getting the correct OAL down, but now that that's done, I haven't had much issues with it. If all you shoot are factory, you can spit those out all day.

I've probably got 2500-3000 rounds on my Dan Wesson already. And I still think it's probably one of the best sub 1k dollar 1911's going. S70 frame, Ed Brown parts throughout and Adjustable rear sights. I picked mine up for $840 locally.

I shoot it in IDPA, as well as USPSA, and yes it's obviously in it's L10 configuration so put your IDPA rule books away. ;-)

#17 ·
My Dan Wesson wasn't any more finicky as my Glocks, they get that way when you start swapping in parts here and there. I had issues when I intially started reloading for it, getting the correct OAL down, but now that that's done, I haven't had much issues with it. If all you shoot are factory, you can spit those out all day.

I've probably got 2500-3000 rounds on my Dan Wesson already. And I still think it's probably one of the best sub 1k dollar 1911's going. S70 frame, Ed Brown parts throughout and Adjustable rear sights. I picked mine up for $840 locally.

I shoot it in IDPA, as well as USPSA, and yes it's obviously in it's L10 configuration so put your IDPA rule books away. ;-)

L10 configuration??
I think I see an extended slide release--not legal for any division except "open", if my feeble memory serves me correctly.

#20 ·
Yeah, I knew I'd get one of you guys to "bite" on that.

Rest assured knowing my thumb goes no where near it for use to "reduce recoil", it doesn't even come close without grossly munipulating my grip. Nor is my thumb safety used as such. It simply doesn't do anything for me except help me engage the slide release, that is all. And I don't need any more help to reduce recoil, I'm fine with it. Thanks.

#22 ·
You wouldn't be the first as I've been called on it before, and the gentleman in question also told me he would "check for me" with John and I never did hear back from him on his ruling either way.

Be sure to give us an update when you do will you? Thanks.

#24 ·
O.K. I stand corrected! I sent John an email, with a picture of your gun, and here's his answer.
Extended slide releases ARE going back on my guns, and I'll be printing out a copy of his reply to keep in my range bag!!

Hi Randy,

The extended slide stop that shows in the picture you sent, is legal. The one that is not, is the one that has the flat rest in the forward position, or someone has welded a glob onto the slide stop that can be used as a rest.
The one I am referring to was popular many years ago, you could actually rest your thumb on it, and by pressing down on it, deactivated the slide stop from locking the gun open when empty.

John Amidon
Director NROI

#23 ·
Idpa

I though the guy was looking for an IDPA 1911? Now we are talking about John Amidon, who by the way is very quick about getting back with answers. Can we stay on topic here?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.