1911Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put in a .250 FLGR in my 38 super commander length slide.

I have two new flat wire recoil springs to work with. One is 15# commander length and the other is the same type/brand spring and is 17# for govt length.

The coils seem to be the same size (I measured) and rate. The only visible difference I can see is the 17# govt spring has more coils and is obviously a bit longer.

I have read most everything there is on clipping round/standard springs. That said, I don't think the same rules apply to FW springs. I clipped the 17# FW govt to the same length/coils as the 15# FW commander. Honestly, I think I now have two 15# springs as they feel the same. Is spring bind less of a concern with the flatter coils?

Please school me on trimming these FW springs.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
I believe that there are heavier springs available, from Glock that fit the .250 FLGR. The Glock FLGR is .230 but the spring fits loose . The .357 Sig or 10MM might be a starting point. Spring stacking or bind is an issue with any spring. Mark the travel length of the slide without a spring in the gun on the slide using a pencil, then with the spring in the gun, see if the slide has the same range of movement to the VIS. If you can get the same range, then you are not stacking.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts