1911Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I would like some advice on an emergency heater for my home. I don't live in a winter storm prone area but once in a while we have power outages from ice storms. Right now all I have is a Coleman Black Cat propane heater I use for camping.

Thanks for experienced suggestions.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Just be sure to have a battery powered carbon monoxide detector in the area!

We do have ice related power outages occasionally, and have two propane fired open flame gas fireplaces in the house(battery powered thermostats). Kind of a toss up, as to which we use for primary heat, them, or "earth coupled" heat pump.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I'd suggest a Mr. Buddy heater IF you can get and store propane. You can refill the 1lb bottles from the laeger BBQ bottles. They are approved for indoor use. If you need it for lighting I'd use olive oil lamps much safer than white fuels.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Kerosene heater

To Russ, I agree; I have one in my workshop and use it frequently. It moves the temperature from 50 F to 65 F in about an hour and holds it there on the low heat setting. I only use K-1 kerosene (you can find local suppliers via a web search) and I agree with always using a battery-operated CO detector.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
You will be hard pressed to find a better way to keep warm than one of these. http://www.homedepot.com/p/DuraHeat...Portable-Heater-DH2304/100045793#.UqTyLvS1x8E

In a pinch you can rest a skillet on top and cook as well. Everyone should own one or two.
These things are awesome! I heat my home primarily with a wood stove, but I use one of these to jumpstart the heat until the wood stove catches up after dying down through the night. Or if I have some work to do in the garage I just tote it out there to take the edge off. Here in CT, it can hold in the 20s and 30s for weeks, add in the wind and it gets bitterly cold. A note though, I always light it and let it "settle" before I bring it in the house, all the smoke and smell comes from when you first fire them up.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
In the past couple of years I have learned about Rocket Stoves and rocket mass heaters. Google will put you on them. No need of petroleum products or any store bought stuff that may not be available under disaster conditions.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have a Kerosene heater and several lanterns, for the life of me I can not keep the heater I have from making a terrible kerosene smell. It doesn't seem to do much good leaving it outside for 15 minutes after you light it, it still stinks. The heater is a Kero-sun Moonlighter, and I use kerosene I purchased at a hardware store. The metal lantern I have is one I purchased from Kirkman's and is the Dietz stype, it also smells of kerosene when left in a confined space.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I don't think you can beat a wood stove, but the Rocket stove stuff is looking interesting.

A wood stove if done right will last all night and into the next morning without much effort. Of course this assumes you have a good one. I used a wood stove in the last house I lived in and it was awesome, It cost me less than $400.00 a year to keep my house at 80 for the winter. I kept the stove when I moved out and turned it into a rental.

The house I currently rent has a wood stove insert in the basement and it is not half the stove my free standing one is, I don't think it has as much to do with the fact that its an insert as much as its the quality of the insert.

·
Premium Member
3,615 Posts
Do a google search on hydrogen peroxide heaters. Interesting stuff and emissions are much safer.

·
Premium Member
7,694 Posts
I have a Kerosene heater and several lanterns, for the life of me I can not keep the heater I have from making a terrible kerosene smell. It doesn't seem to do much good leaving it outside for 15 minutes after you light it, it still stinks. The heater is a Kero-sun Moonlighter, and I use kerosene I purchased at a hardware store. The metal lantern I have is one I purchased from Kirkman's and is the Dietz stype, it also smells of kerosene when left in a confined space.
Find a cleaner fuel. It can be expensive but makes all the difference in the world.

·
Registered
7,728 Posts
I have one of these:

http://www.orschelnfarmhome.com/Ors...on-cart?&query=radiant+heater&hits=12&offset=

It works good. I use it for heating in the warehouse section of my old business for when I'm working on something and need some heat.

I've also used it for heating my home during ice storms.

Simple, easy to use, no smell.

Burns Propane, and can be hooked to any grill, rv, or 100lb bottle.

Has a "tip over" lock out that works VERY well.

As noted, any time you're burning something like this, keep a battery operated CO/Smoke alarm in the vicinity.

·
Registered
309 Posts

You may need a new wick for that heater, I use kerosene in a tent when deer hunting and it is clean.
As for those lanterns, you should be using lamp oil. Kerosene in a lamp will leave you with a lot of soot and not enough light. I have used it in an outdoor lantern and would not use it indoors. Citronilla oil also is good for lanterns, burns clean but does smell.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts