1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi: I'm looking to buy a 9mm BHP and will benefit from your collective wisdom. I am not a collector and only want a reliable "shooter" that I can have 'tuned-up' a little. I have three questions:
1) Is there a better year(s)/model(s) to look for or are there years and
models to avoid? I won't mind an older model as long as I can have an
ambi-safety installed.
2) Who can you recommend to do a trigger-job and other user-friendly
modifications?
3) Other than the trigger-job, do you have suggestions on other mods?

Thanks

·
Registered
754 Posts
Hi . . . first welcome to the forum I know you'll get a lot of great info here. I'll try to answer your questions in order as best I can.

1. Since you are not looking to collect but to get a shooter I would recommend one of the newer MKIII's by FN they are cast frame and very good quality they already have an ambi safety and are great shooters right out of the box and accurate. And whether price is a consideration or not they are less expensive then a "Browning". As for older models anything from the 70's forward are good firearms actually they all are but the older ones have small safeties and are not ambis.

2. There are several very very good gunsmiths around but not knowing where you are located I can't recommed someone whose closest to you. But Novaks, Ted Yost, Don Williams, Cylinder and Slide, Jim Garthwaite come to mind, and there are more.

3. They all do great trigger jobs and can do to your pistol just about anything you want and can recommend other mods to do such as stippling or checkering front or back straps, changing out the existing sights for a good pair of night sights, polishing feed ramps, etc. Most of the guys start off by dumping the mag disconnect safety as it is a royal pain in the ars!. Also swapping off the stock grips with a good pair of custom grips either wood or synthetic.

Hope this helps a little, as others read your thread they'll chime in with more suggestions too.

RC

·
Registered
513 Posts
Well t I just got a new 9mm Hi-Power a few months ago. I'd say get a MkIII, and remove the mag disconnect. I think you'll see once you do that you won't need or want anything done to the trigger. I've put about 750 rounds through mine so far, with a variety of ammo, and I had a couple of failures, but it was always with the same magazine. Got rid of the mag, and no more failures. So I'd say reliability wise it shouldn't require any "tuning" either.

There may be preference based changes you will want, but for me the gun is almost perfect as is, and with the mag disconnect removed the only thing I might do is a different safety, and night sights, but the gun is still very good without those items.

·
Registered
513 Posts
rtab1 said:
I'm surprised no one mentioned bobbing or replacing the hammer. This seems to be almost as common a modification as removing the mag disconnect.
Before I got my Hi-power I was sure I would change out the hammer and sear. Every HP I shot prior to getting mine had the "Practical" hammer or one of the C&S round hammers. I like the looks of the other hammers, but after shooting mine, and getting zero hammer bite, I just couldn't justify the cost of the new hammer and sear merely for cosmetics.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.