1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking to replace the ambi safety on my MC Operator and, after I pick it up tomorrow, my SA 9mm 1911.

While I have no problem with ambi safeties in general, the one on my MC Operator is problematic. To be more specific, the right side will "walk out" as the pistol is fired. The right grip panel will keep the right safety lever from completely coming out but I don't like that fact that the safety is coming loose. It doesn't inspire confidence in me as to the reliability of the pistol.

I have tried squeezed the grooves on the right side safety in an attempt to get it to mate more securely with the left side safety's tongue but this really has worked for me. I guess I'm a bit cautious about overdoing it and breaking. The very way in which the two safeties posts are connected doesn't seem that great to.

So I've gone to Brownell's web site and looked at the single side safeties they have. I'm happy with the shape of the stock Springfield safety but would like any advice that any one could offer on choosing a replacement safety.

Brownells carries the Wilson, McCormick and Gunsite safeties. None of them are exactly like the Springfield but I'm leaning towards the Wilson narrow. It seems to be the most similar to the stock SA ambi safety lever.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Do you mean the "right" side lever walks out? the left side shouldn't ever be able to come out when firing the pistol. But yes, any single side saftey lever will work, of course it will more than likely need fitted to your gun and will not be a "drop in" fix. Good luck.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
glocker1911 said:
Do you mean the "right" side lever walks out? the left side shouldn't ever be able to come out when firing the pistol. But yes, any single side saftey lever will work, of course it will more than likely need fitted to your gun and will not be a "drop in" fix. Good luck.
Yes, I meant to type right. I changed my original post to reflect this.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seraph said:
I recommend the Ed Brown unit.
I looked at the Ed Brown safety and it looks very similar to the Wilson safeties. The prices are about the same as well. Am I missing something or are they really the same part?

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Both the Brown & Wilson are good parts, no question.

I like the Brown best of all the many available types, at least in terms of value. These are cast parts, but quite good. Remember that SVI makes an ambidextrous safety from billet, for those who are determined to have the most solid stuff available (I have two of them), and it's unquestionably a good part, but much more expensive than the Brown or Wilson.

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Matt_B said:
I looked at the Ed Brown safety and it looks very similar to the Wilson safeties. The prices are about the same as well. Am I missing something or are they really the same part?
No, sir. If you examine them closely, they are a little different. The reason I like the Brown is because it feels a little better with my thumbs forward grip.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I was having the same problem with a set of CMC ambi safety. I ended up breaking two of them before I finally gave up on them.

I switch to the King's ambi safety and 4000rds later its still going strong.

Gene

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input folks. Looks like the Ed Brown Extended Tactical Safety is the one though I wish they wouldn't call it Tactical because I'm not. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
314 Posts
The big difference between the Brown and Wilson is the size of the paddle. The wilson is short, narrow and a bit sharp on the tip. The Brown is wider, longer and nicely angled. The Wilson is VERY easy to install. Of the three I've had, none required much fitting and moved with a distinct snap.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,215 Posts
SAWBONES said:
Remember that SVI makes an ambidextrous safety from billet, for those who are determined to have the most solid stuff available (I have two of them), and it's unquestionably a good part, but much more expensive than the Brown or Wilson.
SVI doesn't make/sell that part anymore.
I prefer the Cylinder & Slide to the others. I haven't tried the King's, or new Kimber usnits, that are retained by the hammer pin (Kimber's is not available as a DIY part, but they'll charge you to install one), as I've had no trouble with the Swenson-style safeties. I have one that does "walk" as I shoot (of the seven-eight safeties of that style that I use), but I just push it back together when it does; haven't noted any functional problems associated with it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts