1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a LB PII and I'm looking to switch sights. The sites that came with it are OK but I am getting old and quick target acquisition isn't very good. Has anyone tried XS Sights with the big golf ball in front? Also I don't know what kind of dovetail etc. I need for the front and rear sites. Any recommendations on good sights would be appreciated also.

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
I'm going to have a gold bead installed on the front sight of my P II. Most of my shooting is indoors and I just can't see the front sight. I have a gold bead system in a couple of other 1911s and the difference is night-and-day. Literally.

The process involves knocking out the front sight, drilling and installing the gold bead into the existing post, reinstalling the sight, and repinning. The total charge quoted by a local 1911 smith is $100 with a ten day turn-around.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My Problem As Well

That's my problem as well even though I shoot outdoors. We shoot underneath a roof and I can't see the front site.

Thanks for the advice. I saw that Novak will install a gold bead. Anyone have experience with them? Sight base fits my LB?

Thanks for the advice.

I'm going to have a gold bead installed on the front sight of my P II. Most of my shooting is indoors and I just can't see the front sight. I have a gold bead system in a couple of other 1911s and the difference is night-and-day. Literally.

The process involves knocking out the front sight, drilling and installing the gold bead into the existing post, reinstalling the sight, and repinning. The total charge quoted by a local 1911 smith is $100 with a ten day turn-around.

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
I have Novak sights on several pistols and they're obviously a quality product. I assume their shop would to a very satisfactory job. Seems to me I read that the LB front dovetail was some oddball size, so that might be an issue to be discussed ahead of time if they're not going to install the gold bead in the existing sight.

FWIW I called Les Baer and asked if they would do a gold bead install and the answer was negative.

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts
IIRC - the front is the standard Novak cut.

The standard PII has the "Delux" Bomar cut, ie - a "fenced" cut.

·
Banned
1,538 Posts
colekatie.....I sent my slide to John Harrison last month and he installed a gold bead front sight on my Monolith. I have had the same problem as some not being able to see the front sight at the crappy range I go to. Bad lighting and my bad presbyopia vision. It came out great and I can see that front just fine now. Cost was very reasonable and turnaround was less than a week.....TW

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks

Thanks. I will look into that.

colekatie.....I sent my slide to John Harrison last month and he installed a gold bead front sight on my Monolith. I have had the same problem as some not being able to see the front sight at the crappy range I go to. Bad lighting and my bad presbyopia vision. It came out great and I can see that front just fine now. Cost was very reasonable and turnaround was less than a week.....TW

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have XS sights on my EMP and I like them for fast sight picture but I am not sure I would want them on a commander or full size weapon. I placed an email to a smith about doing me 10-8 rear and white ball up front we will see if he is taking small work right now *fingers crossed* I found a pic to show you the white ball to me this set up just seems like it would be right up my alley. You might want to check this option out.

David W.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the XS sight advice

What a great series of advice and comments. If I can just stay away from the Legal and Political portion of this forum....

I was thinking the same thing on the XS sights (not for full size 1911) I just put TFO sights on my Glock 23 I use for home defense and they are pretty good for day AND night. Still didn't solve the problem of shooting under a roof outdoors. Barely visible. I am leaning towards the gold bead I think for my LB full size. I am becoming obsessed with trying out those big XS sigts though! Might have to buy another gun and put them on. I don't want to mess with the Glock 23. It is pretty much zeroed in for what I need at 7-15 yards.

I have XS sights on my EMP and I like them for fast sight picture but I am not sure I would want them on a commander or full size weapon. I placed an email to a smith about doing me 10-8 rear and white ball up front we will see if he is taking small work right now *fingers crossed* I found a pic to show you the white ball to me this set up just seems like it would be right up my alley. You might want to check this option out.

David W.

·
Banned
13,564 Posts
Grainfed

Can you tell us the cost and lead time to have Harrison install the gold bead??

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
TRS Otto,

If you go to John's web site, www.harrisoncustom.com/, you can do a work order than gives you pricing info. I would then call or e-mail John and ask him his current work time for a small job like that. I believe he uses the SDM Fabricating gold dot front sight, but I would check with John to be sure. He is quite helpful via the phone or e-mail.

In my experience, John gets the small jobs like that done very quickly and the cost is quite reasonable.

[eta]Per John's site, the cost to add a gold bead to a dovetailed front sight is $50. [/eta]

Another alternative for the original poster is fiber optic front sight as those work really well when shooting outdoors under a roof. I have horrible eyes, and the fiber optic front sight has been helpful.

I do have the XS Sights on a full-size gun, my Robar Alloy Extreme. They are easy to pickup, but they do not provide the precision that a Premier II can deliver. They make lots of sense on a gun where speed counts, but not so much sense when accuracy is the driving requirement.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sights

I went to his sight and it was 50 dollars (plus shipping I think) I sent him an E-Mail to replace both front and rear sights after reading one of his articles critical of rear adjustable sights for some applications. I am going to go shooting today and really examine the pluses and minuses of the stock LB PII sights then decide.

Again thanks to all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts