1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of picking up a Sentinel, haven't actually seen one yet other than the on-line catalog and postings here. Can anyone advise on their experience with the piece? I'm thinking of it not as an every day carry, but as a back-up in either an ankle or pocket holster. Is it too big for an ankle, or would that be workable? I use what I think is probably a bit smaller as backup right now, a Guardian. But if a Wilson works, why not? I appreciate the input.....

------------------
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Hmmmm.... The Sentinel is a nice piece, but might be a bit large in an ankle rig, just depends on your size, and the pants you wear I suppose...

I would probably be more apt to consider the Sentinel for everyday use in an IWB, you're not giving up much over a full size, and the lighter gun, adn compact size might be more comfortable in certain situations, especially as the weather warms up.

I have been considering the STI LS series for a super compact. If you're really considering a 1911 in the ankle slot, you might give it a look. They're pretty small.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I suppose if you could find some bell bottoms from the 70s you could carry it in an ankle holster, otherwise it's a tad large. I believe the Sentinel has a 3.6" barrel(same as an Officer's ACP) and a frame grip that's 1/4" shorter than the Officer.

·
Banned
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Mute--what do you mean "bellbottoms from the '70's"??? Have you seen the latest fashions on these girls? What's old becomes new again.

So it's not for the ankle. But has anyone used the thing? How does it perform?

------------------
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816.

[This message has been edited by Paladin (edited 01-26-2001).]

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Paladin,

It's a great gun; buy it, it's all quality. I carried one for over a year before selling it just last week, and the sale had absolutely nothing to do with any displeasure, just financing a new pistol in a vastly different configuration.

Having showed it to everyone at the range, no one had an unkind word about it after testing it out. Very accurate, amazing trigger, CCW-perfect, beautiful. Best pistol I ever had. Also holds its value quite well.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Paladin,
Like my CQB, the armor "no so tuff" finish sucks. Other then that, it's one hell of a gun.

It's definitely too big for ankle carry. However, if you wear it IWB or any other belt holster, it virtually disappears.

I never shoot compact guns very well but I can achieve around 3" groups from 25 yards with the Sentinel. It came from Wilson with a very crisp trigger pull. This is one the few 1911's that I never had modified.

If you have the cash, defnitely buy one. You won't be disappointed.

·
Banned
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Traevin,
I bet you'll wind up with another one some day. Thanks for the input. I'll probably pick one up soon. Allan Yoast is getting a few in. Of course, I don't have enough to shoot.... not enough time in the day....

Son,
I have a CQB compact and it's a great little piece. Sounds like the Sentinel is in the same vein. But it also sounds like it's a nice little quality carry for a quick "stash in the IWB and go". Out of curiosity, why have you had difficulty with compacts?

------------------

·
Banned
1,342 Posts
Son,

Armor-Tuff is quite a bit tougher than any other "black" finish, IMHO.

I have had several other "black" guns Roguard, Black-T) This stuff is much more abrasion resistant than any of the other polymer or resin-based finishes.

Yes, it does scratch, but I prefer scratching and some light lubricity in the coating versus old rust-prone blued steel anyday.

for a "white" gun I like chrome or NP3....but for a using gun, I can can't seem to fault armor-tuff one bit.

I think if you say it "sucks" you should at the very least explain your parameters on WHY it sucks (at least for you).

Or better yet, try a Bearcoted gun if you want a finish that is slick in the hands AND low on durability...

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
You're right. I'll be picking up another WC, probably before the end of the year. I've narrowed it down to the Tactical Elite or the a CQB, if I'm short on funds.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Anthony:
I have a KZ-45, CQB, and Sentinel with Armor Tuff finishes. The KZ-45 isn't bad at the moment since it's fairly new. The CQB and Sentinel on the other hand look battered due to the Armor Tuff peeling and/or heavily scratched.

The CQB looks the worse from being my primary CCW firearm. It was in and out of the holster daily and defnitely shows wear and tear. In all fairness, it does have close to 7000 rounds through it. In addition, I had a Colt that got Les Baer's coating and it was even worse just like you stated.

On the other hand, I have a Les Baer that is blued with over 10,000 rounds through it and it looks MUCH better then the CQB.

My personal preferences are blued guns. I've never had a rust problem because I wipe them down everyday. Hard Chroming would come second. It would definitely be tops if not for the shiny look. I perfer dark colored finishes. The CQB will probably get hard chromed sometime this spring since it's retired to being a range gun.

Paladin:
Personally, I just shoot much better with a longer sight radius on a government model.

·
Banned
1,342 Posts
Son,
Its my understanding that any "peeling" is covered by Wilson's warranty. Scratching of course, is not.

Oddly enough, the green finish seems tougher than the black-that has been verified by Wilson's.

I love blued guns, however, here in the southeast it simply isn't practical. I will take a scratched (and rust free) poly-coating anyday. I guess that is just a perfect example of different strokes......

·
Registered
984 Posts
I have a Colt Gold Cup and Python finished in blue. Both are over 20 yrs old and have had no problems with rust. Unless your working in a rust prone environment I don't think all these fancy finishes are necessary. With that, I should have my new CQB with Armor Tuff tomorrow.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Anthony,

I guess people back in the good ole days before armor-scuff just had to watch their ole blued guns melt away

I think that armor-scuff finish is for the birds. Not saying that Wilson doesn't build a fine pistol. I'm saying that finish is terrible. I'm sending mine for a good hard chromin' in the near future.

------------------
NRA, Life Member
GOA
IDPA

1 - 13 of 13 Posts