1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum and looking for advice. I am in the market for a Colt commercial or series 70 Gov or Commander in blue. There are currently two that I am considering for around $450 that have pitting and need to be refinished. How would a gunsmith repair pitting, fill in or file down? Also, how much would someone guess this service would cost me including a refinish? I am trying to determine if it would be cheaper to just find a model that does not need to be refinished for about $700-going rate these days from what I've noticed.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Personally, I'd spend the extra money and buy a pistol that needs no work.

It'll be a better platform to improve on as you wish. With a new or good-used pistol you can add-on stuff like grips, sights etc, instead of fixing all the problems first.
If the finish is pitted on the one you're eyeing, then it'll probably need more than just refinishing. Probably needs a lot of the guts replaced, and of course on a 1911 most will have to be fitted. Not just drop-in like a Glock.

Also, buying a new or good-used pistol, you can shoot & enjoy it while adding customization a piece at a time.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Buy one in the best condition you can afford, thats always the smart way to go and pays dividends in the long run, easier to sell a nice gun rather than one that needs a lot or one that has been reblued.

·
Premium Member
3,015 Posts
To answer your question, most likely a gunsmith would sand or file the gun to deal with the pitting. You're not specific about the location and degree of damage. Exterior pitting is no indicator of internal damage. A cheap holster can cause it. You might consider having the gun bead blasted and re-blued. If it's just slide and frame, it shouldn't cost much.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Don't forget shipping costs. If there is pitting on the outside, it could be in bad shape on the inside as well. I'd look at it very carefully.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts